• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What happened to the RTS genre?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Just a thought that crossed my mind the other day while I was flicking through my old games but what happened to the old classic RTS games? Along with FPS games they were the main genre I played with series like Settlers, Command & Conquer, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Warcraft III amongst many others. Yet since those I cant remember playing a decent RTS game for years and find myself going back to those time after time. I still play Settlers II, Age of Empires II and Red Alert II from time to time (2 must be the magic number).

Has anyone played any good ones in last few years or seen any that might be released in future to get me out of this RTS rut?

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Well Rome 2 came out recently a tbs yeah but still same type of game play, I guess we're just seeing a down trend in T/R bs games lately it happens to every genre in any industry doesn't it I'm sure some die hard studio will release one soon after all we are over due a real good rts.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well Rome 2 came out recently a tbs yeah but still same type of game play, I guess we're just seeing a down trend in T/R bs games lately it happens to every genre in any industry doesn't it I'm sure some die hard studio will release one soon after all we are over due a real good rts.

Never properly got into the Total War series, I had a bash on Rome Total War and I do own Shogun 2 (though doesnt run on laptop) and I shall reinstall it when I build a new PC. However im talking about the old school base building RTS games, just seem to have pretty much died out and most of the big companies have either gone bust or been shut down. I last purchased AoE II HD to relive some classic moments and still play Generals/Red Alert 2/Tiberian Sun/Settlers II etc but nothing has come close to being as good as those recently (exception being StarCraft 2 I guess) but again doesnt run great on my laptop but will reinstall when I get new PC.