• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Time Period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score
Re: What Time Period?

I actually hoped that they would take a step back in time, that way they could explore various other cultures and such.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Arseface;328384 said:
Why can't it be like 20 years or whatever?

That would be my assumption if See the Future is true, but there isn't any real reason that can't be consistent with Victorian/American Civil War/late 19th century. I mean, they already look like they have steam engines and pretty big cities, all they need is to figure out factories and start making frieght/passenger trains and steamboats and they're there.

droded;328388 said:
I actually hoped that they would take a step back in time, that way they could explore various other cultures and such.

Yeah, I want to see Samarkand and a bit of colonialism would be interesting, but wouldn't that be something more suitable for DLC? It just seems like anything but Albion itself would just make people bitch that it was a spinoff, not Fable 3.

F

FiendFyre

The only reason I said English over American Civil War is because Albion seems to be based on England in the sense that the characters speak primarily with English language. And, of course, Lionhead is UK based.
Otherwise, that would have been pretty awesome. But that era would still be cool.
I'm started to lean towards the idea of one of the World Wars, quite up to date, but I think it could work quite well.
More Industrialisation would be good.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Um... not sure what you mean by that, but the two civil wars are at completely different times different reasons... only similarity was that a bunch of English speakers were killing their own countrymen. And I think we can agree that neither the slaveholding traitors nor Cromwell's boys are especially relevant to Albion. Or who knows, maybe they could be.

But... I don't know. World War (either of them) tech levels seem a bit much. Maybe it's just the thought of flight that makes it seem too far forward, but it just seems wrong. Artillery, too. 1860-ish artillery is bad enough, but no Hero, however badass, could walk through, say, a Verdun-class artillery bombardment. Or any of the other WWI battles' artillery, for that matter.

Cain

Reaction score

Why can't it be like a world war for albion. You could be a hero who is reviving the old ways and using that with WWI/II guns and will to help you in battle.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Well, one problem with that is that, as occurred to me roughly five hours after I said made my last post, Fable has never really been about huge wars-- more about one guy slaughtering a single Big Bad and all his minions, plus some random hobbes and bandits and innocent bystanders.

For another, "reviving old ways" and "cranking up into that there newfangled industrialized warfare" rarely go together. And for another-- can it really qualify as a World War if there's only two... call 'em areas (Albion and Samarkand), that we know of and neither seems to have a really organized national government, at least at the moment? I mean, See the Future mentions a new king, but who knows how much they rule?

SgtSmitty07

Reaction score

Yea, a World War would seem a little too.....un-Fable like

GaEv

Reaction score

The soldier outfit everyone keeps mentioning should only be treated as a reference at best. There is a Halo outfit in there but that doesn't mean the two are connected.

The problem is with deciding the time frame is that althrough our time frames provide an architectual and cultural design basis to draw on we can't go much further than that.

It is after all a fictional world with magic and development could happen quite differently.

Just look at the world of Fallout. They have fully functional robots and lasers but even before the nuclear war the society was stunted in the appearence of our world's 1950's America.

Cain

Reaction score

The soldier outfit is a reference to wellington. Not an easter egg. An easter egg is something that is hidden and left for you to find it.

L

luigi910

i dont reli mind the time period, but it wud be good if there were large scale battles with lots of people, aswell as little solo quests, becus in fable 2 the only sort of medium scale battle was all four of the heros and the spire guards + the shard once you exited reavers back passsage

GaEv

Reaction score

now that I've edited my post do you have any objections with the actual argument?

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score

SgtSmitty07;328785 said:
Yea, a World War would seem a little too.....un-Fable like

I'd imagine that if they didn't take such a dramatic leap forward when making Fable II that this would either be out of the question or the setting for the final Fable game.

Regardless, it could work in some ways. Melee weapons weren't completely phased out by the time the first World War rolled around, so that aspect would still be there, albeit with the obvious lack of weapons such as maces, axes, and hammers.

At least, that's how I would imagine it.

TheJJMax

The Ultimate Noob
Reaction score

Maybe it could be set during the late 1700's? When this newfangled "United States of America" was born.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

GaEv;328790 said:
The problem is with deciding the time frame is that althrough our time frames provide an architectual and cultural design basis to draw on we can't go much further than that.

It is after all a fictional world with magic and development could happen quite differently.

Yes, we've been over this many, many, many times before. Including a few times is this damn thread I thought everyone understood that. Until I saw...

Gunman23;328969 said:
Maybe it could be set during the late 1700's? When this newfangled "United States of America" was born.

Look, the US isn't really relevant. We've said it before and by all signs we'll say it again. Fable's world is not the real world. There are analogs in tech and culture and language and stuff, but the world's history and all are completely unrelated.

luigi910;328817 said:
i dont reli mind the time period, but it wud be good if there were large scale battles with lots of people, aswell as little solo quests, becus in fable 2 the only sort of medium scale battle was all four of the heros and the spire guards + the shard once you exited reavers back passsage

Yeah, you do have a point-- the big huge battles are kinda cool, the ones like in F1 going for the watchyamacallem points that Jack was ****ing with. Us and Briar Rose and fifty billion guards going against hordes of Minions.

On the other hand, WWI or WWII era/tech level makes that problematical.

GaEv;328821 said:
now that I've edited my post do you have any objections with the actual argument?

Don't know how you said it originally, but you still aren't making much of an argument. Just repeating (probably unknowingly, not your fault) something that we've said repeatedly and generally agree on.

GaEv

Reaction score

my apologies, I saw some of the lesser posts and it made me think they needed saying.

TheJJMax

The Ultimate Noob
Reaction score

Walker;328994 said:
Yes, we've been over this many, many, many times before. Including a few times is this damn thread I thought everyone understood that. Until I saw...

Look, the US isn't really relevant. We've said it before and by all signs we'll say it again. Fable's world is not the real world. There are analogs in tech and culture and language and stuff, but the world's history and all are completely unrelated.

Yeah, you do have a point-- the big huge battles are kinda cool, the ones like in F1 going for the watchyamacallem points that Jack was ****ing with. Us and Briar Rose and fifty billion guards going against hordes of Minions.

On the other hand, WWI or WWII era/tech level makes that problematical.

Don't know how you said it originally, but you still aren't making much of an argument. Just repeating (probably unknowingly, not your fault) something that we've said repeatedly and generally agree on.
No, I meant during the time the US was born.

Evil Scarecrow

Da Evilist MaPhucca
Reaction score

they shouldn't make it in the future, they should take us back to the old kingdom.

If they make it AFTER the time period of fable2 ( like another 500 years after fable 2 ) it just wouldn't be " fable-like ".

Fable, the name, seems more like a older time-based game.

Cain

Reaction score

I like the old kingdom idea. But it should be unrelated to the archon unless it has you playing as him before he defeted teh court. Make it original. And my opinion is that I think it would suck if it was set between I and II. We know what happens. No heroes for 500 years. And they could have it after fable II, but with the tech becoming more old kingdom, rather than our technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.