• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Time Period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Scarecrow

Da Evilist MaPhucca
Reaction score
Re: What Time Period?

Rheckameohs;329186 said:
I still think that it will be in the 19th century.

i dunno, if they based the tech on REAL world tech it would suck, but like that outher dude said, it would be cool if they based it around some old kingdom tech. PLUS WE NEED ARMOUR

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score

Well, you have to consider that the technology in the Fable universe doesn't follow technology in the real world exactly. I'm sure that there will be some Old Kingdom technology in the next game, similar to the Spire, but I highly doubt that the entire game would be set in the Old Kingdom itself.

Evil Scarecrow

Da Evilist MaPhucca
Reaction score

I hope they make a game like that tho, like fable 4 or summin. similar to wat dey did wit underworld 3

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

The Old Kingdom might be interesting, but I'm afraid it would lose a lot of its... mystique if there was an actual game set there. The remnants of super-powerful Old Kingdom magic and all are part of what makes the world of Fable interesting-- it's the sorta post-apocalyptic feel.

If we actually set it there, I don't know. It seems like we'd end up with a generic crystal spires and togas and evil domineering tyrants kinda dystopia. There's too many of them already. (Not that there are too few pseudomedieval magic fantasy worlds, but there are somewhat fewer like Fable 2 and even fewer that might come from a tech level after F2's.)

SgtSmitty07

Reaction score

I honestly don't want Fable 3 to be that much different, time period wise from Fable 2.

Cain

Reaction score

Walker;329654 said:
The Old Kingdom might be interesting, but I'm afraid it would lose a lot of its... mystique if there was an actual game set there. The remnants of super-powerful Old Kingdom magic and all are part of what makes the world of Fable interesting-- it's the sorta post-apocalyptic feel.

If we actually set it there, I don't know. It seems like we'd end up with a generic crystal spires and togas and evil domineering tyrants kinda dystopia. There's too many of them already. (Not that there are too few pseudomedieval magic fantasy worlds, but there are somewhat fewer like Fable 2 and even fewer that might come from a tech level after F2's.)

Actual there was only one spire and if you see the cutscene about the spire destroying the old kingdom, then you will see that the buildings aren't really that advanced. And if you played as the Last Archon, who apart from william black is the only archon not to be corrupt. It could be like that but it probably won't. But I can dream..^_^

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Azrael;329707 said:
Actual there was only one spire and if you see the cutscene about the spire destroying the old kingdom, then you will see that the buildings aren't really that advanced. And if you played as the Last Archon, who apart from william black is the only archon not to be corrupt. It could be like that but it probably won't. But I can dream..^_^

A) I was being metaphorical with the crystal spires, not literal.

B) That advanced? How can you tell? Buildings are buildings.

C) Last Archon? What are you talking about? The Old Kingdom and all the Archons were destroyed by the Spire. Presumably the guy building the Spire was not all that good of a ruler. Are you talking about Nostro? I didn't think he claimed the title of Archon.

Cain

Reaction score

The last Archon is said have activated the spire to destroy a corrupt world that had been created by his predecesors, and have a new pure world created to replace it. And no I am not talking about Nostro. And if he wasn't that good of ruler he probably would've asked for loads of gold or something. He might've been a crappy ruler but he saw the old kingdom as it was and decided it should be replaced

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Where in the world did you get THAT from? I don't remember anything like that in-game or out-of-game. And if it is true, that doesn't mean the last Archon wasn't corrupt, it just means that he's a crazy mass-murdering mother****er.

Ryu_the_fox

Reaction score

Walker;329902 said:
Where in the world did you get THAT from? I don't remember anything like that in-game or out-of-game. And if it is true, that doesn't mean the last Archon wasn't corrupt, it just means that he's a crazy mass-murdering mother****er.

Actually i think I read about the first archon using the spire as well. But i think they referred to it as a tower. I think i read that here: http://www.lionhead.com/Fable2/TalesofAlbion/Default.aspx#ToA

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score

Walker;329902 said:

You never know. His wish might have been to simply cleanse the world, not knowing that the only way to do that was to basically kill everyone off and start over.

At least, that's how I look at it.

Smitty;329704 said:
I honestly don't want Fable 3 to be that much different, time period wise from Fable 2.

If they set it during the Industrial Era, it wouldn't be much different at all. Maybe a few factories here and there and quite a bit of pollution, plus a few advances in technology, but not much beyond that.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Ryu_the_fox;329927 said:
Actually i think I read about the first archon using the spire as well. But i think they referred to it as a tower. I think i read that here: http://www.lionhead.com/Fable2/TalesofAlbion/Default.aspx#ToA

I'm assuming you also meant "last," but you linking to Tale of Albion didn't help anything. The only thing there about the Spire says "when the kingdom had grown to its greatest extent, the Archon demanded that a great tower be built to focus Will." And that just after it was completed there was a bright light, an earthquake, and the city was destroyed, everyone dead, as was the Old Kingdom.

That does NOT sound like a good guy, who's planning on making the world better for his subjects. Especially since in the aftermath the world went into what was basically a dark age.

Rheckameohs;329943 said:
You never know. His wish might have been to simply cleanse the world, not knowing that the only way to do that was to basically kill everyone off and start over.

At least, that's how I look at it.

If they set it during the Industrial Era, it wouldn't be much different at all. Maybe a few factories here and there and quite a bit of pollution, plus a few advances in technology, but not much beyond that.

A) That would be a really stupid and generic thing to wish, especially since "cleanse" has connotations of "get rid of." B) REALLY stupid. It would have made more sense for the monarch to, I don't know, maybe try to fix his kingdom's problems instead of killing vast numbers of his oppressed subjects?

Yeah, I do agree with you on the industrialization. I want SOME. Not too much, but enough to be interesting.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

1) i think that whatever cliffhanger "see the future" may or may not have left will be solved with DLC for Fable 2. It would be very unlike lionhead to break the chain of making your hero who you want. Starting the game as royalty would kind of take the icing off of the cake.

2) The time period has no obligation to go forward and backward. I can admit that at least I was surprised when they changed the time period the first time. They could take the setting and date anywhere they feel like, so lets not make our guesses based on patterns as none can really be established between only 2 games so far.

3) I want Fable 3 to take place in Edo period Japan. No reason in particular, not from any drawn conclusion because i have absolutely NO idea what fable 3 will be like just as i suspect none of you do either. :)

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Led;330095 said:
1) i think that whatever cliffhanger "see the future" may or may not have left will be solved with DLC for Fable 2. It would be very unlike lionhead to break the chain of making your hero who you want. Starting the game as royalty would kind of take the icing off of the cake.

2) The time period has no obligation to go forward and backward. I can admit that at least I was surprised when they changed the time period the first time. They could take the setting and date anywhere they feel like, so lets not make our guesses based on patterns as none can really be established between only 2 games so far.

3) I want Fable 3 to take place in Edo period Japan. No reason in particular, not from any drawn conclusion because i have absolutely NO idea what fable 3 will be like just as i suspect none of you do either. :)

1. Maybe, but then do you really have that much choice in who you are when you've always ended up losing your family and being taken away by some weirdo to be trained as a Hero? But yeah, I also suspect DLC for See the Future-- or maybe nothing at all, just backstory between game 2 and 3.

2. You could have a point, yes, but on the other hand it's no fun saying "Lionhead is completely unfathomable and we should sit here and wait quietly like good girls and boys until they tell us what they're doing."

3. Of course none of us have any idea, we're guessing because it's fun. They could completely move the series, but I seriously doubt they'd decide to go from a fantastic Britain-analog to real-world Edo Japan*. We have no idea, really, but it's fun to guess.

No offense, Led, but you seem to do this a lot (or maybe I'm remembering someone else). You come into speculation threads and you go, "oh, there's no point in speculating we could never guess." Why? If you don't see the point in speculating, what's the point or reading the threads and getting annoyed?

*Being deliberately obtuse/jackass-y, sorry. I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant.

T

Tomhap

just my point of view on the mute hero thing: i think he should be mute... ever played a zelda game? if you have... please be my guest and go to youtube and watch the zelda cartoons... i'd rather have a mute hero then one who says "excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, gypsy" all the time...

btw i think in fable 3 u'll be the son of the king and have to avenge his death and the destruction of his kingdom done by the main villain... hope we get to see scythe again since in Fable 2 he gets referenced to in the letter you get from rose, and one tip doubts him having immortality.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Tomhap;330183 said:
just my point of view on the mute hero thing: i think he should be mute... ever played a zelda game? if you have... please be my guest and go to youtube and watch the zelda cartoons... i'd rather have a mute hero then one who says "excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, gypsy" all the time...

btw i think in fable 3 u'll be the son of the king and have to avenge his death and the destruction of his kingdom done by the main villain... hope we get to see scythe again since in Fable 2 he gets referenced to in the letter you get from rose, and one tip doubts him having immortality.

I basically agree on the first bit, on the second. Ick. Sorry, but no, I don't like it. That DEFINITELY removes your choices. For another if this king you're talking about is the Hero from F2, anyone who could kill him would be powerful enough to smash his son or daughter, but for another I don't want to be stuck avenging another dead family member.

I mean, COME ON Lionhead, haven't you made enough orphans? This is off the subject again, but I want to see a Fable Hero with a happy, healthy, loving family for once. Sure, that might be boring, too and
the Hero from F1 wasn't REALLY an orphan
but still, let's mix it up a bit, people.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

Walker;330171 said:
No offense, Led, but you seem to do this a lot (or maybe I'm remembering someone else). You come into speculation threads and you go, "oh, there's no point in speculating we could never guess." Why? If you don't see the point in speculating, what's the point or reading the threads and getting annoyed?

*Being deliberately obtuse/jackass-y, sorry. I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant.

Sorry if it was taken that way :)
unintentional.

i was just trying to point out that the guesses don't have to be limited to going forward in time, and that it may not have to necessarily have to take place in a fictional conglomeration of all of the British isles :)

EDIT: also i think gladiator-era rome would be an amazing setting for fable3. they could incorporate greek mythology and have roman armor.....

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Woo-hoo! So damn glad we got in some speculation before they ripped it out from under our feet.

Fable 3 was what See the Future was all about, and we'll be fifty years down the road. I can hardly wait. (And it is still in Albion, by a wild coincidence.)

SgtSmitty07

Reaction score

No need to argue people. Lets all just bake a cake made of rainbows and consider each others feelings. lol

Rad

Old Name: Zencidal
Premium
Reaction score

The fact that accourding to the anouncment of fable 3, you play as the spouse of the hero of fable 2. which means it should still be in that era. but anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.