• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Time Period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Re: What Time Period?

Zencidal;330582 said:
The fact that accourding to the anouncment of fable 3, you play as the spouse of the hero of fable 2. which means it should still be in that era. but anything can happen.

No. No, you don't. You play as the CHILD of the F2 hero, and they (or somebody, I think XBOX.com, which was linked from lionhead.com) already said it was five decades-- fifty years.

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score

You know, I always guessed that Fable II took place in roughly the 1760s, so... 1820s maybe? Seems like it would work. What I want to know is how you're supposed to be the hero's child, assuming the game has a childhood phase, of course. Conception in your 50s/60s isn't exactly easy.

Meh, we'll see what happens.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Trying to convince people arguing in the F3 announcement thread about the time period to come here. So, I'll reply to them here.

Tomhap;330909 said:
dude, the fable timeline is NOTHING like ours... it's up to PM to decide if their world advances like ours...i mean in the 14th century (500 yrs be4 the date u guys put on fable 2) our world was more advanced then the world in fable 1, so prolly (due to the dumbass citizens of albion) tech discoveries and other stuff might advance slower in albion than on earth... btw it'll be so yay to finally go to the continent described in the fable 1 book 'the other world/land' i just hope they make the game really big, knowing microsoft and LH itll prolly come out much later then the announcement (and the date wasnt announced yet, was it?)

A) We think that Fable II is roughly analogous to the late eighteenth century. 500 years before that was the thirteenth century, the 1200s. Yes, the tech level of our world in certain areas in the 1200s was more advanced than Fable's world. But not many of them, and not by that much.

B) Their world HAS advanced roughly at the same pace as ours, at least in broad strokes and at least so far. Going from Europe in our world, they had roughly 500 years from swords and crossbows to widespread guns and the earliest stirrings of steam power.

C) There hasn't been a specific date, but they have said the holiday season of 2010.

D) Albion is a specific place in the world, not the world. Might as well call it Earth.

Azrael said:
Ok why are people saying III is set in the 1800s when its only a few years after fable II.

necromancer said:
Well, it seemed to me like Fable 2 started in the early 1700's, and by the end of the game, many years had passed, so it was probably around the 1760's or 1770's. Then 50 years pass, and you're into the early 1800's.

Fable II seemed more late 1700s to me. There was a lack of colonialism, but the firearms seemed more 1760-1770 kinda flintlocks and such than early 1700s. Hence, fifty years on is 1800s.

E

Egglor

See the Future strongly hints to me that Molyneux is going for a direct sequel (not the same character mind) here rather than in the future like he did for Fable II. Which I think is great, there are no other RPG's that span that particular period, which as Fable II demonstrated is very fertile in terms of game making potential. So it has its own nice little niche.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Egglor;330938 said:
See the Future strongly hints to me that Molyneux is going for a direct sequel (not the same character mind) here rather than in the future like he did for Fable II. Which I think is great, there are no other RPG's that span that particular period, which as Fable II demonstrated is very fertile in terms of game making potential. So it has its own nice little niche.

Yes. They have already explicitly revealed that Fable III will be fifty years on and feature the son or daughter of your F2 hero. They revealed this yesterday.

R

Razorback

Steampunk Fable?

This doesn't exactly relate to Fable III, but it probably fits best in this thread (and isn't worth a new one).

Given all the talk about technological/cultural advancement in the Fable universe, and how this machine or that vehicle wouldn't fit, how would people feel about some future Fable title going properly steampunk?

You know the stuff. Victorian era, big clanking machines, blokes in top hats flying about in steam-powered jetpacks, hot chicks in striped stockings and big goggles carrying arm-mounted gatling guns, etc...

I think if integrated properly, it could settle nicely into the existing Fable setting. We're halfway there with the clockwork rifles and those Hobbe stiltwalker guys anyway. And Barnum always struck me as a steampunk character born a hundred years or so before his time.

Thoughts?

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

I like swords and bows, so bringing guns to Fable II was a HUGE change for me.
I guess you could make a Fable set in the future and still make it feel kinda like Fable, but I think I'd miss the good old days a little ^_^

T

The Guardian Angle

I just hope that if theres a fable 5-6 its not like a grand theft auto with swords and magic :p

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Razorback;333807 said:
This doesn't exactly relate to Fable III, but it probably fits best in this thread (and isn't worth a new one).

Given all the talk about technological/cultural advancement in the Fable universe, and how this machine or that vehicle wouldn't fit, how would people feel about some future Fable title going properly steampunk?

You know the stuff. Victorian era, big clanking machines, blokes in top hats flying about in steam-powered jetpacks, hot chicks in striped stockings and big goggles carrying arm-mounted gatling guns, etc...

I think if integrated properly, it could settle nicely into the existing Fable setting. We're halfway there with the clockwork rifles and those Hobbe stiltwalker guys anyway. And Barnum always struck me as a steampunk character born a hundred years or so before his time.

Thoughts?

So long as they stay away from zeppelins (I Hate Zeps), I wouldn't be averse to a future, more steampunky Fable. Like you said, the hobbes and Barnum were already halfway there. Though perhaps less steampunk than steampunk fantasy, emphasis on the fantasy.

Phantom

фңαŋ╦♂М
Reaction score

Necromancer11;327817 said:
it may not be your game, or any of ours for that matter, but you're EXACTLY right! I definitely think Fable 2 should have been set earlier, but more specifically, during the fall of the guild. then you could better see how it all happened, and fable 3 would then have fable 2's story line. that'd be how i'd do it

I don't think the Fall of the Guild would be that great, if you had read the book in Fable II it seemed just more like a quick stab in the back from the public.
Pathetic Politics.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Phantom;337532 said:
I don't think the Fall of the Guild would be that great, if you had read the book in Fable II it seemed just more like a quick stab in the back from the public.
Pathetic Politics.

More like a long, slow descent into hunted fugitives, if you ask me. Didn't seem like it really happened overnight. And it was less politics than it was the fact that lots of heroes were kind of violent and muderous.

But anyway, this is an old, dead thread and the initial debate point has been resolved, so why necromance it?

Z

zalp

in an interview he said you were the son of the fable 2 hero.
so probably about 50-100 years later or so.
not quite sure on the lifespan of heroes XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.