• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's the weird food you didn't know was weird?

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Today I learned that hush puppies are unknown in the Midwestern US and Scrapple is only a thing in the Mid-Atlantic.

What's the weird food you like that you didn't realize was weird until late in life?

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Squid is my favourite thing. Everybody pulls a face when I tell them.

Though I'm vegetarian atm.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Really? People think calamari is weird? Huh, interesting. (I should get some for lunch)

I can't really think of anything that for sure fits into this category though. I feel like I've had a lot of access to a wide variety of different foods from different places just by living in California all my life, so there are probably a lot of things that wouldn't seem weird to me that other people might find strange. Like if someone went to a Japanese restaurant and ordered some octopus and sea urchin, I wouldn't bat an eye, but I can see how it might seem weird to someone with a different background.

Also...avocados. I don't care if it's a California stereotype. I put avocado on everything.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Putting butter/margarine on toast even if I'm adding a spread too. Scott finds this very weird.

This coming from a guy that asked when I first made him a bacon sandwich "Where's the melted cheese?" Like I was supposed to automatically know he wanted it.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Putting butter/margarine on toast even if I'm adding a spread too. Scott finds this very weird.

This coming from a guy that asked when I first made him a bacon sandwich "Where's the melted cheese?" Like I was supposed to automatically know he wanted it.

I am 100% behind Scott on all of this.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
While I'll admit that bacon and cheese croissants are one of my favourite things, I think it was more that he just expected the melted cheese to be there. Like bacon and melted cheese come together in every oppotunity, without question. He seemed so disappointed. :lol:

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
My sons both dip their cheese wedges in their yogurts because they are savages.

Bacon and cheese croissants sound lush.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Bacon and melted cheese only sometimes come together. You gotta ASK for it, dagnabit.

Squid is weird, though I guess I did start eating sushi so is it really THAT weird?

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Squid is weird, though I guess I did start eating sushi so is it really THAT weird?

When I was on a ferry on my way to The Netherlands, I went to the buffet for dinner and grabbed a large helping of onion rings.

They were not onion rings. Never been so disappointed or disgusted in my life.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
While I'll admit that bacon and cheese croissants are one of my favourite things, I think it was more that he just expected the melted cheese to be there. Like bacon and melted cheese come together in every oppotunity, without question. He seemed so disappointed. :lol:

Americans have bacon and cheese with everything, they also seem to have an affinity for syrup and cream. One of the main reasons I like going there so much. :lol:

My sons both dip their cheese wedges in their yogurts because they are savages.

Saw Ava and Poppy both doing this the other day with multiple foods while I was eating lunch. I shrugged it off as they can like whatever they like, turned around and saw Amys face like... :sick:>_<.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Americans have bacon and cheese with everything, they also seem to have an affinity for syrup and cream. One of the main reasons I like going there so much. :lol:

You've spent too much time with Scotty over the years, clearly. His poison has seeped into your veins.

I do enjoy syrup, however... :shifty:

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I've never tried that though I imagine it's heartattack levels of deliciousness.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Hate to be stereotypical, but I can only image what kind of melted "cheese" Americans put on their toast.

You can never go wrong with butter/margarine. Nutella sandwich is 2 times better with just a little bit of butter underneath, same with honey toast/bread.

As for the topic, I guess I'm pretty vanilla when it comes to food, mostly because there wasn't a whole lot of variety when I grew up.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Hate to be stereotypical, but I can only image what kind of melted "cheese" Americans put on their toast.
I can't speak for the rest of the country, but my go-to cheeses are usually sharp cheddar, pepper jack, and smoked gouda. American cheese is fine if I'm just getting a burger or something and that's all they have (typically this means I'm hungover and getting fast food :lol:), but I'll typically get something else if it's an option and doesn't cost extra.
What I will say for the rest of the U.S. is that we don't just put cheese on toast. Butter or jelly/jam, sure, but cheese is reserved more for a burger, sandwich, omelette, burrito, stuff like that.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Of course, there's good stuff and crap everywhere, it just feels like America is more used to eat liquid "cheese" out of a jar.
But to each their own, I guess. People these days hate ketchup, but a simple butter and ketchup bread - delicious; add a slice of bologna - delicious; pickle, cheese and mayonnaise black bread - delicious.
And in the grand scheme of things, stuff we eat here, especially foods from the Soviet era, would probably sound gross to the rest of the world. For example:
with some potatoes and horseradish or vinegar or mustard, mmmm...

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
In some parts of the US, I think you're probably right, but subcultures can vary widely depending on where you are. I think a lot of people in California (though not everyone) might be slightly embarrassed to go to a grocery store and buy a jar or can of "cheez whiz." Restaurants here almost always have healthier options, calorie counts next to menu items, vegetarian/vegan dishes, stuff like that. But the mid-west and the south tend to be much less focused on healthier food options and dietary restrictions. There's still a problem with cheap, fast, and low quality foods throughout the country, but it's more pronounced in those areas. You can see that reflected in the state-by-state obesity rates.

Side note: I hate ketchup so much. Everyone here loves it. Maybe ketchup is different elsewhere (American ketchup contains a lot of sugar), but it's always felt like the condiment that you use to get kids who are picky eaters to actually eat their damn food. I will always maintain that ketchup ruins a good serving of french fries, and ketchup on eggs does severe and permanent damage to my soul.