• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Xbox live being upgraded to PSN Plus style service

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
xbox_live.png
Microsoft have just announced that Xbox Live Gold is being upgraded to offer 2 free games a month to Gold Subscribers. Much like Sony's PSN Plus, the first 2 games you will receive for free are Halo 3 & Assassin's Creed II.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
What a tasty proverbial carrot on a stick. Not too tasty though, all things considered....

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
This is pretty meaningless when they're just offering slightly older games like these. For the vast majority of Xbox 360 owners, if someone doesn't have AC2 or Halo 3 by now, they don't intend to own or play them.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
The trade off is they're actually yours to own. On PS+ the games expire when your account does.

It's nice, but not too nice. Way to late to matter, this close to the end of the consoles life cycle.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Whats PSN?

Im confused, it seems like they're bribing me, and then taking advantage of my innocents.. :(

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
When the subscription runs out you loose access to the free games. It's $5 a month. Granted PS+ gives you access to I think 14 games at a time.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The trade off is they're actually yours to own. On PS+ the games expire when your account does.

It's nice, but not too nice. Way to late to matter, this close to the end of the consoles life cycle.

Its carrying over to the Xbox One & shame they didnt offer this as soon as PSN Plus started offering it.

Whats PSN?

Im confused, it seems like they're bribing me, and then taking advantage of my innocents.. :(

Its the PS3/PS4 online service.

Your account expires on PSN? Does that just happen when you stop paying like a gold XBL membership? I've never owned a PlayStation, so I don't know how it works.

As Ty said, if you let your account run out on PSN Plus & dont renew before you go back to the free version you lose access to all the free games they have given you over the time you had PSN Plus. Whereas on Xbox Live you will now own each of the games they gift you no matter if you go back to being a Silver member.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Giving two free games a month != PS+

That's like saying that if I make a frappuccino and then I give it to you I am freaking starbucks.

So please, Microsoft, read what does PS+ give, learn what it has been giving and what other features come with it and then please kindly, anyone who says that this change in Xbox Live brings it noticeably closer to what PS+ has been doing for years then you should reconsider what you know about gaming in general.

This is something Microsoft should have done a LONG time ago. Its the first steps to bonus features that should have already been there at least, them offering more things for free brings them closer to the most liked bonuses of PSN Plus. The Instant Game Collection was the main thing the PSN plus was offering that Live had shown no sign of & now they finally gave Xbox Live members something free. Thing that annoys me most on Xbox Live is needing Gold for things you shouldnt (4oD catch up service/Lovefilm etc) I already pay for Lovefilm & pay my TV licence and 4oD is free on everything besides Xbox Live.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I still don't see why someone would purchase a Xbox One over a PS4 and we can only speculate on whether that is a start for more bonuses with Xbox Live, as we know Microsoft has more plans into invading your privacy, enforcing DRM schemes that didn't work for other companies (i.e. EA) and trying to back up these decisions with petty solutions that are only workarounds a little-thought system, it feels like throwing bones to a starving dog.

It seems to me that they are going to have to offer something more. If the PS4 is cheaper (though now also has a paid for online service), less DRM measures & controlling methods then Microsoft are going to have to offer more for the money at some point. As you say, people dont really have a reason to choose the Xbox One console over the PS4, I mean im preferring the Xbox One games but console wise the PS4 is much more appealing.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The Xbox One could easily be cheaper and compete with the PlayStation 4 if it didn't have that retarded Kinect nonsense being attached constantly, or the online requirements and anything people are concerned about online, and that also involves discreet people from journalists to many other people in the industry.

Honestly, how many here on this forum are willing to pay for a Xbox One, get their privacy violated and customer rights stretched to the extreme for merely playing a Fable game?

The forced Kinect was a stupid idea, I know they want more developers to make use of it but its never going to be as popular as they want it to be. The online requirements arent a big deal to me personally & there are more games on Xbox One that appeal to me.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Come on, you do realize that you are siding with the devil here?

I buy consoles for their games, might not agree with a lot of the policies (some of which we still dont have full details on) but im more interested in more game series on the Xbox One.