• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your Favourite Area

H

hunter16

Your Favourite Area

I just wanted to know out if curiosity, what your favourite areas are.
Mine's the beach through the Demon Door in Necropolis. It's beautiful....

Twilight

Reaction score
Re: Your Favourite Area

Probally Oakvale for me.

black.

There's Blood In The Water
Reaction score

Knothole Glade FTW!!! :w00t:
Also, the area behind the Demon Door in Greatwood.

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

Mine is Orchard Farm I'll be at the dock hitting the scrumpy :thumbsup:

Yea, I know this thread has been done before.

andythegill

I have a cunning plan
Reaction score

...probably that bandit tole area man I loved decapitating the toll collector, charging in sending out a few more arrows, bring out the enflame and finish with a slice to the leaders neck, ahh good times.

Silent420

Proud Progressive
Premium
Reaction score

Alot of the demon doors are good, I love the nice music, infact I have some on my Ipod! :p (seriously)

black.

There's Blood In The Water
Reaction score

Albion Knight;140146 said:
Yea, I know this thread has been done before.

By me if I'm not mistaken! :D

T

Teyr

Personally, I prefer the Butterfly House (Behind the Demon Door near the Hobbe Cave entrance) or the Necropolis for those huge Experience Multipliers I can get (79 and counting...)

F

FableGod

I like the areas behind the demon doors

Reaction score
my favourite area is the the lychfield graveyard but in a normal playthrough im never there long

Naxatato

Obsidian
Reaction score
Alrighty, well first off the Celtic symbol most prominently shown in the game is the Celtic knot, which itself doesn't have much meaning other than being an elaborate decoration. It is used, however, to accentuate the importance and promote various themes within a work, the most well known being the Illustrative manuscripts in real life. In game the importance of the tapestries found in the homes and sometimes tattooed onto a persons body is highlighted with numerous Celtic knots.

Talking about tattoos, Albion, which is an ancient and sometimes poetic name for the British Isles, is shown to have a long cultural familiarity with them. The same is true with Britain, which if you have even a passing familiarity with Celtic history you might remember the Picts, a nickname given to them by Roman soldiers derived from the Latin word "Pictus" meaning "Painted". It isn't clear whether this meant that they painted themselves literally, some say with dyes derived from woad, or if the description was referring to tattoos possibly made from iron oxide. Tattoos predate the Celts by several millennia, so it isn't out of the question. Either way, tattoos featured prominently in Celtic culture, being described at least as far back as the first century B.C. by Gaius Julius Caesar. In his commentaries some Celtic warriors are described as wearing nothing into battle except paint(maybe tattoos) with designs of wild animals and faces covering their entire bodies. Some of these descriptions clearly inspired some of the villagers of Knothole Glade, especially the Chief and the Tattooist himself.

Other examples of Celtic symbolism involved the spiral, in itself reflecting growth or development, but often used contextually with other symbols to reflect an idea. Oak trees symbolized the center of all things, countless myths and legends include them and because of this they symbolize a wide range of things but otherworldly strength, to divine wisdom. Oaks were also know as the gateway to the Otherworld (fairy realm), a feature of Celtic religion which involved the belief of a kind of reincarnation in which you never die, you simply pass to the Otherworld. On Knothole Glades Tattooist's stomach we find an Oak tree with spirals curling outwards from its branches, which if the devs had any real meaning in the design then it might've been a never-ending growth of strength, skill and will, the widely varying qualities in which the Oak reflects.

Still we can find more Celtic influence within Knothole Glade. Ancient Celts had embedded music deep within their culture to such an extent that some of the oldest musical instruments in the world come from prehistoric Ireland. Some instruments, such as the carnyx, were even used in battle to relay orders to troops and intimidate opponents. Right at the gate of Knothole Glade we find what appears to be a massive carnyx attached to a podium sitting atop a hill. While the use of this specific carnyx is a bit different from those used in reality it is still prominently featured, displaying to all passersby the magnificent cultural artifacts passed down to the current inhabitants. Wood carving is noteworthy here, as well as in the totems found around KHG, since much of Celtic society relied on wood for the transfer of information and for decoration (a fact that lead most Celtic artifacts to be irrecoverably lost to time).

Celtic language is something largely wiped out from history, the late Celts would usually use the Greek or Latin alphabet to carve out inscriptions, but there are examples of their own Celtic alphabet known as the Ogham alphabet, though this never developed past its infancy. Aside from the Ogham letters are more traditional glyphs, or simple stylized pictures symbolizing an idea or a thing. The largest of these are carved out on hillsides, known as hill figures. Famous ones include the Uffington white horse and the long man of Wilmington. A mix of Greek and Ogham letters and glyphs reminiscent of some of Britain's most famous hill figures are displayed on the tapestries found in the homes of villagers in KHG. There are lots of cultural inspirations, not all from Celtic society, which shaped Albion, but Knothole Glade especially is the home of the Celts, and that's just perfect to me.

If you have any more questions lemme know. I'll possibly get back to ya if I have time.

Reaction score
Alrighty, well first off the Celtic symbol most prominently shown in the game is the Celtic knot, which itself doesn't have much meaning other than being an elaborate decoration. It is used, however, to accentuate the importance and promote various themes within a work, the most well known being the Illustrative manuscripts in real life. In game the importance of the tapestries found in the homes and sometimes tattooed onto a persons body is highlighted with numerous Celtic knots.

Talking about tattoos, Albion, which is an ancient and sometimes poetic name for the British Isles, is shown to have a long cultural familiarity with them. The same is true with Britain, which if you have even a passing familiarity with Celtic history you might remember the Picts, a nickname given to them by Roman soldiers derived from the Latin word "Pictus" meaning "Painted". It isn't clear whether this meant that they painted themselves literally, some say with dyes derived from woad, or if the description was referring to tattoos possibly made from iron oxide. Tattoos predate the Celts by several millennia, so it isn't out of the question. Either way, tattoos featured prominently in Celtic culture, being described at least as far back as the first century B.C. by Gaius Julius Caesar. In his commentaries some Celtic warriors are described as wearing nothing into battle except paint(maybe tattoos) with designs of wild animals and faces covering their entire bodies. Some of these descriptions clearly inspired some of the villagers of Knothole Glade, especially the Chief and the Tattooist himself.

Other examples of Celtic symbolism involved the spiral, in itself reflecting growth or development, but often used contextually with other symbols to reflect an idea. Oak trees symbolized the center of all things, countless myths and legends include them and because of this they symbolize a wide range of things but otherworldly strength, to divine wisdom. Oaks were also know as the gateway to the Otherworld (fairy realm), a feature of Celtic religion which involved the belief of a kind of reincarnation in which you never die, you simply pass to the Otherworld. On Knothole Glades Tattooist's stomach we find an Oak tree with spirals curling outwards from its branches, which if the devs had any real meaning in the design then it might've been a never-ending growth of strength, skill and will, the widely varying qualities in which the Oak reflects.

Still we can find more Celtic influence within Knothole Glade. Ancient Celts had embedded music deep within their culture to such an extent that some of the oldest musical instruments in the world come from prehistoric Ireland. Some instruments, such as the carnyx, were even used in battle to relay orders to troops and intimidate opponents. Right at the gate of Knothole Glade we find what appears to be a massive carnyx attached to a podium sitting atop a hill. While the use of this specific carnyx is a bit different from those used in reality it is still prominently featured, displaying to all passersby the magnificent cultural artifacts passed down to the current inhabitants. Wood carving is noteworthy here, as well as in the totems found around KHG, since much of Celtic society relied on wood for the transfer of information and for decoration (a fact that lead most Celtic artifacts to be irrecoverably lost to time).

Celtic language is something largely wiped out from history, the late Celts would usually use the Greek or Latin alphabet to carve out inscriptions, but there are examples of their own Celtic alphabet known as the Ogham alphabet, though this never developed past its infancy. Aside from the Ogham letters are more traditional glyphs, or simple stylized pictures symbolizing an idea or a thing. The largest of these are carved out on hillsides, known as hill figures. Famous ones include the Uffington white horse and the long man of Wilmington. A mix of Greek and Ogham letters and glyphs reminiscent of some of Britain's most famous hill figures are displayed on the tapestries found in the homes of villagers in KHG. There are lots of cultural inspirations, not all from Celtic society, which shaped Albion, but Knothole Glade especially is the home of the Celts, and that's just perfect to me.

If you have any more questions lemme know. I'll possibly get back to ya if I have time.
holy crap thank you for the extremely detailed answer i was also wondering if you know if lady grey relates to any old storys

Naxatato

Obsidian
Reaction score
Well Lady Elvira Grey seems to be an amalgamation of Gothic and Victorian influences. Her first name, Elvira, probably comes from the famous TV hostess from 80's, the revealing clothing she wears being a reference. As for ghosts stories, "Grey Lady" is a general term for a ghost of a young woman who died, usually tragically, and almost always waiting for love. These stories are popular not just in Britain but also in the States, and many haunted houses and ghost walks feature their own "Grey Lady" in advertisements. The Grey House in Fable points directly to this part of the culture as a reference and not just one story in particular. Funny enough, I'm pretty sure there's a Grey Lady in the Harry Potter books who belongs to one of the four houses. It is kind of odd but the reference more accurately portrays her sister rather than Elvira herself. Here's a decent article about the popularity of this particular type of ghost story in Britain.

https://witchesandfolklore.wordpress.com/2016/07/13/the-grey-lady-a-staple-of-british-hauntings/

Reaction score
Well Lady Elvira Grey seems to be an amalgamation of Gothic and Victorian influences. Her first name, Elvira, probably comes from the famous TV hostess from 80's, the revealing clothing she wears being a reference. As for ghosts stories, "Grey Lady" is a general term for a ghost of a young woman who died, usually tragically, and almost always waiting for love. These stories are popular not just in Britain but also in the States, and many haunted houses and ghost walks feature their own "Grey Lady" in advertisements. The Grey House in Fable points directly to this part of the culture as a reference and not just one story in particular. Funny enough, I'm pretty sure there's a Grey Lady in the Harry Potter books who belongs to one of the four houses. It is kind of odd but the reference more accurately portrays her sister rather than Elvira herself. Here's a decent article about the popularity of this particular type of ghost story in Britain.

https://witchesandfolklore.wordpress.com/2016/07/13/the-grey-lady-a-staple-of-british-hauntings/
thanks for the info