• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

TRA Rotid
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Yeah, I know what you mean. I took military history last semester and it was kinda ridiculous. The professor went really in-depth on how everything interacted to cause or was caued by the military developments, armies, and wars.

But yeah, my high school art history was basically "this is the Laocoon Group. It's a guy and his sons getting eaten by a sea monster because they somehow ****ed off the gods." There was some stuff on why the different art styles came about-- especially the later, European and American styles-- but it still seemed more focused on the art and who made it than anything else.
    Yeah, I took an art history class my senior year of high school and I learned that I have the soul of a philistine. Pretty much everything past the 18th, 19th century was kinda... "um, what?" except for a few photographers. I just didn't get into the pop art and the abstract stuff. And even lots of the old stff was just weird.

And yeah, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Especially considering my artistic abilities.
    Sorry, that was another of the things I had no idea about. No problem. I'm on here a lot (relatively speaking) mostly because I'm a dumbass. I suck at art, but I've got math and physics I'm taking for engineering, and I'm trying an English major. I wholly understand the ridiculous amounts of work college dumps on you.

And yeah, I understand about the national identity thing, insofar as any arrogant and self-centered American can. :)
    And yes, we're mind-blowingly ignorant of the politics, foreign relations, and all of both. Even me. F'rinstance, I know where you are, know your capital, know your flag, I have a vague idea of your history... but I couldn't tell a damn thing about, say, your present relations with Russia, whatever they may be. Or, for that matter, the real difference between you and the Latvians, or even the Russians. It's the same effect as the US and Canada kinda. You're way off there in the distance, speak related or the same languages, and that's about it.

(ridiculously long-winded, sorry.)
    Er... well, iunno about that. I'm a bit of a history and geography nerd, so I, personally, know there's a bunch of formerly Soviet, now independent, nations in Eastern Europe and Western Asia-- could even name a lot of them. But... yeah, a lot of it's really off the radar here. With some people you'd get the same response to, say, Suriname that you would Estonia, that being "huh? where's that?"

Which is even worse because Suriname is in South America.
    Ah... well, as I discovered on this very site in my interactions with a certain former member who shall remain nameless, sometimes Canadians have slight issues with being lumped together with us. Has something to do with the fact that they always get labeled as the US's little brother or whatever, and so they kinda have a reflex counter-response that leads them to cling to whatever differences there are and get ****ed when they're lumped in.

On the other hand, Americans are famous for being arrogant and self-centered, which is another reason the Canadians wouldn't want to be lumped with us, and another reason we wouldn't mind getting lumped with them. Because we're kinda the ones overshadowing them, not the other way around.
    Well... Iunno. I have no real desire to go to Europe. Some of my classmates, on the other hand, REALLY want to go there (or Asia, or Africa, or wherever). But yeah, I'd say that it's just because it's far away.

And yeah, I'd say that the first but would be a little off. For one thing, there's Mexico. For another, there's Canada (don't try to say Canada is just like America. Canadians get riled at that, for some reason). But... yeah. People in the US (probably) aren't as exposed to other cultures. I mean, sure, there's communities of different cultures within the US, but you're not all that likely to go visit them. Or maybe you are, I don't know.
    EEEh. Kinda. You could argue it either way. The states once considered themselves sovereign entities, but there's a lot less of that in the last hundred years or so. The United States is, not the United States are. But then there ARE noticeable linguistic and cultural differences, so who knows.

But yeah, I'd say we definitely qualify as "multicultural." Within a thirty minute drive of my house, there are several places I could drive where everyone was speaking Spanish, one where they'd be speaking Yiddish or Hebrew, and another where they'd be speaking the Trinidad and Tobago creole. But it really depends on the place. And that doesn't eve get into the English-speaking differences. Mostly because it can be a touchy subject.
    Yeah, I can see that. You're close enough together and (no offense) small enough that the major stuff kinda HAS to affect all of you in some (vaguely similar) way, plus what they do affects you and vice versa.
    What? C'mon, man, how could you ever forget that? You're disgracing the memory of your ancestors there. (Being a smartass, not critical.)

But yeah, I know what you mean. My analogy would be Maryland vs. Virginia, but that wouldn't mean much to you, now would it? Same as I don't entirely know what you mean about Latvia. I have a vague idea of the Baltic's history, but not that much.
    Yeah, Rastafarianism is closely associated (or was originally) with Pan-African beliefs. If you want to get technical, it IS a type of Pan-Africanism-- a very weird type, but still. I know what you're talking about.

Now THAT'S what I call holding a grudge. And to think I (sometimes) feel guilty that I'm still bitter over the whole "American Civil War" deal. And yeah, that makes sense. The whole "not bordering each other" deal can contribute a lot to amicable relations... or not.
    Nah, red-green-yellow are the Pan-African colors. Which I will admit is something I didn't notice at first glance about Lithuania's flag. But yeah, look at African flags and you'll see a lot of them have those colors.

I would try to make an analogy to something I know, but you would have no idea if said analogy was relevant or not because you aren't here... Um... so, what, France-Britain modern-day kinda feuding? (There! That's one that'll make sense... I think.)
    [scratches head] How is Jamaica relevant? They have a golden saltire with the spaces between the cross black and green. Lithuania is a gold-green-red horizontal tricolor.

Yeah, I've read a bit about the Poles and Lithuanians older history. Not much, but enough to know that they were both pretty cool.

Like I've said before, you get much east of Salisbury and my awareness starts to fade out (not quite that bad, but then I like to exaggerate) so I have to ask-- what worries you about Latvians?
    Damn. Now I feel all oblivious. Pardon me while I go hang my head in shame. Oh, and there's fourteen.

Random ****: I found it entertaining. In one of my English classes I had to read a short story called "The River Nemunas" set in your geographical next-door neighbor (or, well, neighbor two doors down anyway). It was interesting. Lithuania's flag even got a mention (me like flags). No Estonia, though, just fish.
    Yeah, I was talking about your avatar. Wasn't it a creepy monster-y type eye not too long ago?

Yes, no, I'm oblivious?
    Lol, Stalin was bad, he was naughty, the only time I liked him was in the Game Red Alert.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…