• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Guild Tale - The Rise of Legends

plastic

Macros the Black
Reaction score
A Guild Tale - The Rise of Legends: CH. 1 Complete

This is my first post with the Fan Fiction. If you like or dislike it please reply. I would really appreciate any praise and criticism.

COMPLETE
CHAPTER ONE
YOUTH

----"What makes a hero that at which they are called?" asked Jane.
Jane had once been a hero herself at one time dedicating her life to helping the good and saving the righteous. Knowing her time of prestige had long past, she moved her ambitions to recruiting and teaching the vigorous youth the ways of the Hero's Guild. Knowing this was a question she asked to start and end each days lesson only the few who really seemed to bother answering each time were the ones she knew would be upstanding heroes to be known throughout Albion. As for the others who simply pondered the seemingly endless question she had no doubt in her mind they would be heroes of some stature as well yet their lack of enthusiasm, or at least as much as the more outgoing students, they wouldn't be as well known in turn not being called on consistently. Jane the Shepard-a name given to her by the Temple of Avo for her passion to help anyone and everyone she met whether it be saving a marriage or saving a village-taught her students of love and compassion as well as hate and indifference. The council of the Hero's Guild, or The Guild Tribunal, often convened on the subject of Jane's approach to tutoring the children of hatred and apathy resulting in several arguments leaving several members irritated at another ones comment. Although Jane had been offered several positions on the council at many different occasions she declined each with the notion that "teaching our youth would serve me better than overseeing their actions as a whole" which often upset a number of officials.
----"It's because they can use magic." offered one student by the name of Allie. Allie was not a strong thinker yet she possessed the power to do many things willfully and physically.
Soon after another student respectfully discharged her theory stating "A hero earns their title by serving the people of Albion."
----"Very good Grant!" said Jane. Seeing Allie troubled by the correction Jane quickly diverted the attention from Grant to herself. "Although hero's do possess the power to do magic as they wish, there is more to becoming a hero than power alone. You an extraordinary individual Allie." Addressing a student individually was rare for a tutor, except for the common correction of error, for the reason that another student may become jealous of an over-achiever and lacking that students skills as many children do. "I chose you to come to this guild not because of your fathers position with the King but because I as well as the council see something in you that can only be described as magnificent."
----From Allie's sad face rose an angelic smile that would cheer a beggar. Allie was barely turning fourteen this week. Striking blond hair covered the nape of her neck bringing out her beautiful blue eyes with a hit of hope. Her nose came down with a slight slope to accent her thin cheekbones. Her eyes alone would catch a nobles attention but her lavishing lips would give them something to fight for.
----As class ended Grant approached Allie. Coming up from behind her he gently placed his hand on the small of her back. "You know I wasn't trying to outwit you, right?" He said as she looked up at him. Grant was barely older than she was yet he was still about a full head taller standing at six inches above five feet. Grant was only eleven when he taken in by Jane. Now at the guild for four years he was confident in his knowledge of most legendary heroes and their acts of kindness. Even though he excelled in academics he lacked in the social standings with several of the girls due to his comments often insulting unintentionally.
----"Yea I know. I've just been having a stressful day." She said with a smile showing interest in his concern. "Did you want to get something to eat before we start our training lesson?" After she asked, his cheeks turned bright crimson as he blushed. Not knowing what to say he simply nodded in agreement muttering something she couldn't quite understand. Showing a sign of joy she playfully bumped the side of his chest with her shoulder as if to imply he shouldn't be so shy with her. As the two children sat under a large oak eating their evening snack before training, the sun shone over the wide treeline into the large training yard with an astonishing orangish hue that possessed a hint of red and yellow accent. The yard was filled with over two dozen tutors preparing the evenings lesson, Swordsmanship. Blade training was held more often than any of the lessons because it worked on more than just will power and archery. Knowing how to focus will power and how to use a bow is a very important part of every young hero's training, but swordsmanship taught them how to wield the weapon most people chose to fight with while also building their endurance, strength and the ability to make snap second decisions that could save their life, or end it.

----As Grant entered the ring to face-off with another promising student by the name of Darrell a baleful smile appeared as he glanced up to see Grant nod his head slightly to acknowledge his readiness to begin. Upon arrival at the Hero's Guild, Grant was quickly welcomed by a series of insults that landed Darrell flat on his back with unfocused eyes and a bloodied nose soon after Grant threw a devastating punch straight to his right cheek. Ever since then the two youths never quite got along. With each brawl ultimately ending in many lashes of discipline or a surrender of that days meals and solitary confinement as punishment, the two boys came to accommodations after getting a visit from the Guild Master. This visit placed them in a decision to either learn their places or be sent regretfully home to their families. Seeing as Darrell had lost his family to the ruthless bandit, Bandit King Flint-ironically named after his flintlock pistol Flinty-the logical decision was quite obvious. While Grant and Darrell matched one another with the sword equally, Darrell was often known for being "too rambunctious" as Jane would put it, when he was on the streets as a child. After his parents death he was ripped between forgiveness and hatred towards King Flint.
Flint was as ambitious as they came, doing what ever necessary to achieve his goals small or large landing him the position of Bandit King after dispatching his predecessor Queen Bella who trusted all too easily as Flint proved when he drove his dagger through her chest to the hilt. He stared in his wifes eyes as the life was drained out of her body. Anyone who refused to address him as "King Flint" would be put to death for their lack of obedience.
----As the two boys took stance about half a dozen feet apart left foot forward, or in Grants case right foot forward seeing as he is left handed, they locked gazes each with a slight descriptive grin awaiting the approval to begin. Jane constantly prodded at the two boys to see what made the other tick which of course disturbed the council whom seldom welcomed the provocation of two students, especially one with such history as Darrell.
----"Begin!"shouted Jane. Immediately Grant took up the defensive knowing Darrell would move in for the first blow. Coming up over his head with a heavy over-hand thrust Darrell held the hilt of his well-seasoned wooden sword knowing Grant would knock it away. As predicted Darrell quickly pivoted his weight towards his left foot and spun to his right. As he did this Grant knew he would be take from his own right side so he quickly moved in to Darrell's right in which his attack was coming from forcing his own right arm over Darrell's locking his sword arm tightly under his own while also moving his sword under Darrell's left so that it lay up across his torso. "Halt!" Shouted Jane excited to see Grant finally use his foot work to his advantage. Grant was adept at using his sword despite the fact he rarely used foot work. Naturally moving out of the way of an attack the one thing he misunderstood was where to lead your opponent.
----"Very good Grant very good indeed!" exclaimed Jane. Moving out of the ring Darrell glared at Grant both knowing he would do nothing for the reason that he would be expelled if he did. Moving to stand next to Allie Grant simply ignored Darrell and smiled widely at Allie as if to say it was all for her. "Did anyone see what Grant did just then?" asked Jane hoping that maybe just one pupil had understood the move Grant had pulled off. Knowing all were paying attention to the bout she went ahead and took the liberty to explain. "We all know that Grant is more left hand dominant than right. As with all cases like this the logical thing to do depending on your opponent is to take the defensive. Taking the defensive may tell your opponent that you are either afraid of what their move will be or that you are baiting them. I'm not saying one way or the other as far as this round goes but let us just assume Darrell understood Grant to fear him so he decided to move for a power attack. Although Grant might have seen the opening Darrell left him Grant was letting Darrell know what he willed him to know."
----"I don't understand." interjected a younger pupil. "If Grant knew he could move in to finish him off why didn't he?"
----"Ah great question. Say you each individually were forced to decide to either take a chance stealing an apple from a vendor in broad daylight or you chose to wait until night broke when most all were indoors or headed there knowing you would not be caught?"
----"I would choose the latter." answered Allie nudging Grant forcing him to drop his head and snicker knowing she understood completely by now if she hadn't before.
----"Exactly." said Jane bouncing her hand pointing to Allie as if she had the final answer to a debate. "Why take a risk in being caught when one knows they will have a chance to avoid it?" rhetorically asking her students. "When Grant blocked to his left he knew Darrell would either spin as he did or plummet towards the ground due to the force behind his blow. If the latter had occurred that would have declared Grant the victor automatically. Moving into the spin was a very smart move yet being the south paw Grant is the only choice he had was to either move in or move out. Darrell lacked the speed necessary to overtake Grant from his weak side. Had he been faster Grant would have been forced to move out." Pausing for a moment Jane then said glancing at each individual in turn as to speak informally with all "No matter your choice many outcomes may take place. Make it your goal to choose which." Again locking eyes one by one she smoothly said "For every choice a consequence." each student joining in the old saying almost mid way through.
----Again repeating the phrase to herself softly looking as if she was seeing past events occur before her eyes once more "For every choice a consequence."

Daemon300

Premium
Reaction score
Re: A Guild Tale - The Rise of Legends

Nice, +rep for you.

plastic

Macros the Black
Reaction score

CHAPTER TWO COMPLETE
CHAPTER TWO

SQUARE ONE

----Grant patiently waited to be sent off on his first affair. He stood before the Guild Master both enthused and sheepish for he had not spoken to her before, yet he had seen her walk the stone set paths of the inner Guild Verdure - a large pavilion consisting of astonishing flora that seems to capture the eye with each passing moment. Due to the master's history and rumors here and there of her heroism left Grant unsure as to what he might expect her to say or do. The chamber they now stood in was in fact the Master Study. Located at the east wing of the guild hall, this study is strictly for the use of the Guild Master and the Guild Tribunal. To his sides, bookshelves reached from floor to ceiling containing hundreds of books. The floor possessed an exotic fur he had not seen before or heard of that provided warmth as the winter seasons approached. Behind a small desk that held several parchments, a large stained-glass window shone the only source of light. The illustration depicted a middle-aged woman dressed in a crimson robe embellished with white seams holding some sort of blue orb. As he looked closely he could see she was either blind or nearing it as her eyes were glazed. She was standing in a doorway that looked very familiar to him, though he hadn't seen it before. It was as if he had seen it in a dream or something.
----"I see the glass pane interests you. Do you know who she is?" asked the Guild Master as she finished stacking the documents that were scattered amongst one another moments before.
----"No ma'am." said Grant startled just as he was forgetting she was his reason for being there.
----Near laughing at his reaction to her presence she said. "I look at it daily. It gives me hope so that one day Albion will be at peace once more."
----"I was not aware that Albion was troubled." he said with a confused look. "What is it that troubles us?"
----"Nothing." she said looking to her feet remembering something she had been told by an old friend. "Not yet anyways."
----"What is it that will come ma'am?" he asked curiously as he glanced back at the image in the window.
----"That is a question for Avo." she said looking from the floor into his eyes.
----Dropping their previous conversation due to confusion he asked pointing to the illustration in the window. "Who is she?"
----"That my dear is an old friend." she said walking over to stand next to him placing her hand on the opposite shoulder. "She has helped this Guild and myself on more than one occasion in the past, though myself more than the Guild. If I remember correctly you're tutor Jane the Shepard has had the honor of meeting her. You might ask Jane about her sometime. And as far as what she is holding I am not too sure what it is or where it came from much less, but what I do know is that it holds great power." Seeing as though he had seen it before she added. "You say you don't know who she is but you stare as though you do."
----"No. I don't." Pausing for a moment squinting his eyes and shaking his head. "Though that doorway that she's stands in. I think I've seen it before, but I haven't had the chance to go to such a place."
----Knowing now why she was told to have this boy recruited she simply said. "Well maybe one day you will find out why this bothers you. But until that day I was hoping I might get to know you a little better. Where is it that you're from?"
----Noting what she had just said about the doorway, he thought about the question for a moment then said "I'm not too sure. I mean, I lived in Oakfield most of my life then moved to Old Bowerstone just a couple of years before I was recruited to come here to train." Grant chuckled as he said "Funny story that is. I'm not too sure if I'd be here right now if it hadn't been for those rotten Richland boys."
----"What happened?" she asked now enticed by his memoir.
----"My mother, though I don't really think she's my real mother, asked me to go and get some wine from the inn to celebrate the new year. When I was on my way home the Richland brothers had just started walking to the blacksmith to help their father work. Right when I was passing them Barry threw his hand straight into my right shoulder pushing me right onto a cellar door. After I got up both Barry and his brother Arnold had been laughing at me. I really didn't like them much anyways so I really wanted to hit them both square in the jaw but my mother always insisted that I not fight. She gave the same excuse every time. 'People are watching what you do every day. Let's try and keep them from proving them right.' But I never really understood it. Anyways, after a few moments went by and their laughing hadn't stopped, I mentioned the accusations that their father had been accused of molesting their little sister. Well that didn't quit make them happy so Arnold - strongest of the two - stepped forward with his right fist cocked back ready to swing. That's when I dropped the wine to my feet and threw both of my hands out in front of me sending both of them straight through Misses Layne's fence right into her garden. After that the whole city save the Richland family secretly and silently praised me for putting them in their place. Even their father gave me a few gold coins and said 'My boys need that every now and again. Their mother can't quite keep them chained down.' I thought I was being punished when my mother told me I was being sent her but I welcomed it when I heard that I was going to be a hero."
----"That is quite a story." She said now sitting in a chair on the other side of the desk in front of the window pane. "You said that you're not sure that your mother is in fact your mother. What is it that you meant by that?" She said putting the attention back on him.
----"We never quite saw eye to eye on the subject. For example she would always tell me that history wasn't important that the past was the past. But I always had a feeling you can learn from history and previous events." As he said shifting his weight from his right leg to his left as the long conversation might drag on even longer.
----"Take a seat Grant." She said motioning him to a seat on the other side of the table. "You look a little worn out. Your assumption that your mother is incorrect about history makes me believe you much wiser for your age. History can teach you more than you can imagine if you let it. Have you ever heard of the story about the people of Knothole Island and their trouble with their weather?"
----Laughing Grant nodded saying. "Didn't they lock their weather keys or something up then once a year send warriors to go get them. Then when they got too lazy and unfit they had to have an outsider do it."
Smiling she agreed. "Yes something like that. If I told you that was my mother would you believe me?"
----"Really?" Grant said in amazement.
----"Really." She said as she laughed. "Instead of locking them away again they left the weather changing up to my mother seeing as she was the one to retrieve them. So once a year they would call on her to change it to their choosing though they called on her on more than one occasion she would only answer once a year for the fitting agreement was set."
Leaning forward in her seat pulling her hand out from under the desk with a closed fist she continued, "By learning from their mistakes they corrected themselves and never locked them up again. Instead they entrusted them to the family." Smiling, she held out her fist, now relaxed extending her fingers toward him, lying in her palm was a silver key with a gold shimmer as if it produced it's own energy.
----"No way!" Grant exclaimed. Immediately renouncing his unprofessional outburst, he gave a small laugh as an apology both understood and welcomed by his Guild Master.
----Pausing to change subjects, she closed her hand pulling the majestic key back and into hiding. "From what you say Grant, I don't believe the woman that raised you is your mother. If she had been your mother she would be a hero as you will be soon enough. Yes there are some of us that don't have heroes as parents, but in your case, your mother would have been a hero, I can just feel it. I'll use what resources I have to find out what I can. Until then I think it would be best you return to your apartment to get some sleep. You have a big day tomorrow."
----"I have a big day every day." respectfully correcting his Guild Master as he stood and started to leave the Master Study.
----Interrupting his exit she said. "I'm sorry I don't believe I introduced myself."
----"No ma'am you didn't." Grant said turning around at the doorway. "What shall I call you."
----With a sublime smile she said. "You may call me Sparrow."

Dr KillJoy

Dark Paladin
Reaction score

God thats long but very good work well done

Dentie

Reaction score

ive read the first part of the first 1 chapter and its pretty impressive

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

good looks man! +rep

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

Very good! I did notice a few mistakes that you should go back and fix but other than that its very good. +rep

redfable

One with the force
Reaction score

Cool, keep up the story man. Lets see some action!+rep

Cobalt Gamer

Resident miserable sod.
Reaction score

Very good! I look forward to reading more of your work!! :D +rep

plastic

Macros the Black
Reaction score

To all viewers:
Sorry about the wait for chapter 3. I haven't started working on it yet because i've been busy with a windows application I am designing and programming. Unfortunately I have to teach myself else I would be finished already. Chapter 3 will be up as soon as I can get around to it.

Daemon300

Premium
Reaction score

^That's sad :( I look forward to it. +rep for 2nd chapter.