• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Albion=Europe and the British Isles (and Greenland)?

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Albion=Europe and the British Isles (and Greenland)?

Tell me, does anyone notice the resemblance of the map of Albion to Europe-England-Ireland-Greenland?

If you look at the map in the game, zoom out, and assume that the map is somewhat wrong, longitude and latitude are really messed up, and the world has changed a bit since that time/our time, then it does look a lot alike. Even more so if you just assume that Albionian cartographers and navigators just suck.

Assume that the big mainland is western Europe. Assume that the Witchwood is Britian, the island with Hook Coast is Ireland, and the island with Snowspire is Greenland. No, they're not really in the right places, or the right shapes... but they're very similar.

You could also say that the big mainlad is Britian blown all out of proportions, Witchwood Ireland, Hook Coast a random island in the middle of nowhere or (unlikely) Iceland, and Snowspire Greenland.

Please, give me your opinions: am I crazy, striving to delude myself, or do I have something here?

T

the red soldier

Re: Albion=Europe and the British Isles (and Greenland)?

Its Albion, not earth.

W

WaTeRwInGs

Haha, thats what I as going to say. But Ill check it out. Maybe the creators did it on purpose?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Well Albion is the most ancient name of Great Britain, though sometimes used (incorrectly) to refer to the United Kingdom, or specifically to England. (Wikipedia)

W

WaTeRwInGs

Ya, I just looked at both the maps. I didnt really find any resemblance accept for the fact that there both sorta on the "left" side if you know what I mean...

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Yeah, I meant to mention the thing about Albion being the old Roman word for the biggest British isle, which is my chief (by which of course I mean only) evidence for Albion not being another, entirely fictional world of a size with Earth.

Why do you think that Albion is another, completely different world? Do you have any evidence? I think it's perfectly possible that the Fable universe has the setting of Albion as a past or future of our world. And, of course, it could just be that the world is based on parts of ours.

Ah.. what do you mean "on the 'left'"? What's on the left, and in relation to what?

Adam

Mass Effect Bruiser
Reaction score

Sure albion is based on britan but it's got american features to....... but then again their both english.:unsure:

03scfr

it could be britian but i dout it although i think fable 2 might be great brition

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Oh, damn, I forgot to search for this topic. oh, well. Lemme go take a look at the other one.

Ah... what do you mean? If Fable one is a variant of Britain, why would Fable 2 be Great Britain?

What elements of America? Aside from accent and the Hero's UK-flag underwear (and the geographical similarities I've been blathering about) there isn't anything like Britain, or America.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Hmmm... yeah, the focus of that thread wasn't geographical similarities but it did blather about them a bit, though they eventually stopped without finishing.

I really do think that the geography of the Earth of the Fable universe is roughly the same as ours-- just with lots of changes... which is why I have hopes for some New World action.

T

the red soldier

Proof this isn't earth?

Easy, earth doesn't have wasp the size of your head, earth doesn't have were wolf creatures called balverines, there clearly not roman, we dont have magical abilities in real life, etc.

H

Hexadecimal

the red soldier;71445 said:
Proof this isn't earth?
there clearly not roman

... well... to be fair...the idea is that some people think Fable is supposed to be old Great Britain... not old Italy... why would they be Roman?

T

the red soldier

Hexadecimal;71449 said:
... well... to be fair...the idea is that some people think Fable is supposed to be old Great Britain... not old Italy... why would they be Roman?

Because they say that its albion is a roman word meaning the biggest isle.

Sence thay arent Romans and have no british syle what so ever, I say its a fictonal world.

H

Hexadecimal

the red soldier;71451 said:
Because they say that its albion is a roman word meaning the biggest isle.

Sence thay arent Romans and have no british syle what so ever, I say its a fictonal world.

well... at least half of the English language is based on Latin... our language has a lot of Roman words... that doesn't mean we have to be Roman...

and no British style? you are talking about Fable, right?
the British accents on everyone? the Union Jack underwear through the whole game? that sounds pretty British to me... o_O

I'm not saying that the game takes place in the real world, but one can't deny that it is obviously based on Great Britain and certainly has a "British style", much like Jade Empire is based on mythic China without actually taking place in China...

T

the red soldier

Hexadecimal;71453 said:
well... at least half of the English language is based on Latin... our language has a lot of Roman words... that doesn't mean we have to be Roman...

and no British style? you are talking about Fable, right?
the British accents on everyone? the Union Jack underwear through the whole game? that sounds pretty British to me... o_O

I'm not saying that the game takes place in the real world, but one can't deny that it is obviously based on Great Britain and certainly has a "British style", much like Jade Empire is based on mythic China without actually taking place in China...

I aint denying that its influenced by british culture maybe but I'm refusing to believe that it actualy takes part on these isles.

BTW french and spanish also comes from Latin, thats why they have simileraties.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

While these are all excellent points (the "why not Earth" argument), allow me to present my counter-arguments:

Harry Potter

The Dresden Files

The Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, the Silmarillon, and all of the rest of Tolkien's Middle Earth

Piers Anthony's Xanth series

And any number of other books, series, and movies.

In HP, Dresden, and Xanth; there are all things that don't exist-- magic. All three are examples of fantasy stories, set in or next to present-day Earth, but there are any number of fantasy and sci-fi books set in both the past (Assiti Shard/1632, by Eric Flint and others) and in the future (Asimov's Robot series), all of which are on or partially on Earth-- though they possess elelments clearly not real, no one will argue that they are not on or do not feature Earth.

The LotR is very like Albion, in that it may or may not be an earlier era of Earth. They are both rather primitive technologically. They both possess species which do not exist today. They both have maps that hearken vaguely and distort-edly back to the maps of present-day Earth. Are they Earth? Are they not? No one REALLY knows save the creators, and half the time not even them.

Um... well, in reply to the "not really taking place on the British Isles", see my above reply.

In response to the French-Spanish-English, French and Spanish are actually Romance languages, derived and grown from Latin. English is Germannic, just with a hell of a lot of Latin influence and, in the American version at least, a hell of a lot of loan words from all over the place.

And a random note-- "Albion" does not mean "biggest isle". It is a name for the largest of the British Isles, the one with England and Scotland and Wales. Just in case I was unclear.

Oh, and is that flag called the Union Jack? I've never been sure if that was the Union Jack or if the Union Jack was that American colonial flag with thirteen stripes and the Brit flag in the canton, or if the Union Jack was some completely different UK/English naval ensign. I do research on it, then I forget.

H

Hexadecimal

Walker;71474 said:
Oh, and is that flag called the Union Jack? I've never been sure if that was the Union Jack or if the Union Jack was that American colonial flag with thirteen stripes and the Brit flag in the canton, or if the Union Jack was some completely different UK/English naval ensign. I do research on it, then I forget.

yes... that flag is the Union Jack... it's used by Britain as well as being on the flag of Ontario as well...

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

Walker;71474 said:
Piers Anthony's Xanth series

I was going to mention them Xanth is shape very closely to a certain southern state in the US plus has places like Lake Ogrechobee and Ogre-Fen-Ogre swamp. However, it is definitely not that state. Though the rest of the country is arguably Mundania :lol:

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

Stone henge was in the trailer. So you never know.