• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Apparently there's a problem with my cooler

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
My Toshiba laptop keeps giving me a warning message that there is a problem with my cooler and that I should send it away for repairs. Problem with that is I no longer have a warranty.

Weird thing is, the fan is still running and my laptop is cool. It hasn't over heated or shut down since the message appeared and I'm not too good or comfortable with opening it up. I've read a few things on how to but can someone explain how to clean out a fan/cooler in basic terms?

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Yelling at it and hitting the keyboard does the trick for me, although I did have to have the hdd replaced a short while after that. There couldn't be a connection there could there? :unsure:

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I know your pain. I have a Toshiba myself. Is yours a Satellite by any chance?

I had a look around myself for answers and what I can tell it's either a battery problem and you need to update your BIOS. Most PC jargon is a mystery to me but I'm gonna link you to this thread on another forum until someone more able gets here to post.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batter...System-Error-Satellite-M645-S4050/td-p/172220

I wouldn't do anything that involved opening it up yourself if you don't have the know-how. You don't have to worry about voiding the warranty or anything but I wouldn't go playing around with stuff. Take it into a repair shop if you have the monies if you can't resolve it at home somehow.

Seriously though, wait until someone with half a brain gets here. Taking my advice will probably make your laptop spontaneously combust. I have that affect on most things. But, the thread is worth a shot atleast. Might wanna get some screens up too.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Mine overheats if its on my lap or a surface like a sofa or a bed... sort of defeats the purpose of its name but guess that was the idiot designers fault for putting air intakes on the bottom. I have a laptop pad I have to have on my lap & rest it on the plastic flat surface of that that so the fans dont get obstructed. Also if the power cable is moved it goes into a beeping frenzy of being on charge & not charging. Think the pin is bent inside the end of the power lead/port so the connectors only touch when the cable is at a certain angle, such a pain in the ass.

Where is your fan located? Might be a similair issue to mine as it can also suck up dust from surfaces when they are on the bottom etc.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Your cooler won't work unless you fill it with ice. Hope this helps.

Incidentally, I have a similar laptop to Queen's. Toshiba Satellite or something. Mine doesn't have a busted fan... yet.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Never use a laptop on your lap, fries your balls.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Never use a laptop on your lap, fries your balls.

I could never have it that close anyway, my laptop has a 18 inch screen so it would fry my eyes too. Normally have it on my knees with legs outstretched but would overheat then too. Had to have the fan overhanging my leg so the air could escape, was a real pain until I got my laptop pad.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
Sorry I took so long to reply, haven't had decent access to the internet for a while. Long story short, builders are lazy sh*ts.

Yes it is a Toshiba Satellite and it's been a pain in my ass since day one. It's a love hate relationship but the problem seems to have gone. Thanks everyone.