• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Command & Conquer creators announce new RTS

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
2455889-grey_goo__screenshot_07.jpg

Westwood Studios veterans and original creators of the Command & Conquer series now known as Petroglyph have recently announced their new RTS title Grey Goo (yeah the name is awful).

Grey Goo is a new real-time strategy game that blends established gameplay mechanics with modern design and tools. It will draw on the best aspects of base building, unit management, and all-out war in an all new space saga. It promises to remove the frustration often associated with the genre and focus on deep, tactical systems based on classic RTS gameplay. The game will feature three factions: The Beta, Human, and Goo, each with its own strategies and powerful “epic” units that tower over the battlefield, which you can play in either a single-player campaign or competitive multiplayer mode. Grey Goo’s AI, Petroglyph said, is based on real-world Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) concepts, and will make every match unique rather than run off of scripts.

We have a rich, lengthy background as RTS developers, dating all the way back to our time on the original Command & Conquer at Westwood Studios, We want to bring back some of what made those ‘traditional’ RTS games great while addressing all the lessons we've learned along the way.”

Grey Goo will release on PC via Steam this fall

xxNick

Prodigal Son
Reaction score
The name's not too bad. It's meaning hints at the nature of the goo.

This is interesting. I was somewhere between disappointed and relieved when I found out the latest C&C was cancelled. There really isn't a wide scope of people working on RTSs anymore, let alone good RTSs, and that makes me sad. Possession didn't exactly get cancelled, it's just been on hold forever and is quite possible going to stay that way like a less popular Duke Nukem Jr. There's 0 A.D. but it isn't a sci-fi themed/styled game, which means the only competition for Grey Goo is going to be Planetary Annihilation and even then those are going to be two very different games.

I'm excited to see what happens. I don't do well with RTS games because I do not like RTS games, with exceedingly few exceptions. I hope this is one of them.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The name's not too bad. It's meaning hints at the nature of the goo.

This is interesting. I was somewhere between disappointed and relieved when I found out the latest C&C was cancelled. There really isn't a wide scope of people working on RTSs anymore, let alone good RTSs, and that makes me sad. Possession didn't exactly get cancelled, it's just been on hold forever and is quite possible going to stay that way like a less popular Duke Nukem Jr. There's 0 A.D. but it isn't a sci-fi themed/styled game, which means the only competition for Grey Goo is going to be Planetary Annihilation and even then those are going to be two very different games.

I'm excited to see what happens. I don't do well with RTS games because I do not like RTS games, with exceedingly few exceptions. I hope this is one of them.

Im a big RTS fan but good ones are few and far between these days (I even made a thread on it) and I always had fond memories of the original Command & Conquer games. Really hoping that this ends up good and breaks the recent trend of watered down RTS titles.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
System Requirements
  • Minimum:
    • Processor: 3.5 GHz Intel Core i3 Dual Core or equivalent
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 1024 MB DirectX 11 capable video card (GeForce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5870)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Hard Drive: 13 GB available space
Recommended:
    • Processor: 3 GHz Intel Core i5 Quad Core or equivalent
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 1024 MB Direct3D 11 capable video card (GeForce GTX 570 or AMD Radeon HD 7870)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Hard Drive: 13 GB available space

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
REVIEW SCORE ROUNDUP

The Escapist - 9/10

Grey Goo is, frankly, fantastic. From the opening scenes through the entire narrative thread of the campaign, you'll want to improve your game if only so you can see what happens next as quickly as possible.http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...rey-Goo-Review-Petroglyph-Games-Gets-it-Right

IncGamers - 9/10

Grey Goo is an extremely well produced game. Fans of classic RTS games should sample the Goo for themselves because it's the best RTS released for quite some time.
http://www.incgamers.com/2015/01/grey-goo-review
PCGamesN - 9/10

It’s the most purely fun, accessible RTS I’ve played in years.

Gaming Trend - 9/10

Grey Goo wildly exceeds all expectations for presentation and gameplay. While there are a few issues with cheating and infinite units in single player, the multiplayer is rock solid.

Game Over Online - 8.5/10

It lacks that final polish games like Starcraft have received where each unit and race has been weighed against every other in terms of cost and utility. Nonetheless, it is a nicely crafted and presented RTS which leans towards the old-school mold.

PC Gamer - 8.2/10

Two very similar factions dull its edge, but Grey Goo’s old-school take on strategy still makes it one of the most interesting new RTS games in years.

Gaming Nexus - 8/10

Grey Goo isn't a paradigm shift but Petroglyph still really know what they're doing when it comes to RTS. They introduce some clever new twists on the formula and tell an intriguing story in the process.
http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/4688/Grey-Goo/
Hardcore Gamer - 8/10

It’s a testament to sound design when the worst aspect of a video game is indeed its actual title. Even with it, though, Grey Goo is a stand-out RTS that has found an expert way of blending old with new to create something familiar but fresh.
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/02/08/review-grey-goo/133271/
DarkZero - 8/10

Grey Goo is perfect for fans of 90s real-time strategy games and is one of the best RTS games in recent memories not to be called StarCraft II.

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/grey-goo-pc/
GameSpot - 8/10

One of the best traditional RTS games to hit the PC in a number of years.
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/grey-goo-review/1900-6416017/
GameWatcher - 8/10

The biggest problem Grey Goo has is that it’s far too hard for what it is, which is a fun Command and Conquer-style RTS.

IGN - 7.6/10

Grey Goo is likely the best traditional RTS not made by Blizzard in the past five years. The cinematic, exciting presentation of the campaign is a big selling point by itself, even if the mission structure and actual scenarios are less than revolutionary.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
I don't get all the hype it gets, to be honest. The cutscenes are beautiful and the overall look of the game is very polished. But I got bored of it very very quickly. I think it's rather dull and uninspired, mostly when it comes to units, resource management and actual battles. Base construction is actually handled pretty well.

6/10 I'd say

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I havent played a decent new RTS in years so as long as it brings back some old school nostalgia then im happy.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
For anyone interested in trying this out, they have announced its free to play this weekend.

image.jpg

LINK HERE

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
New faction revealed for Petroglyphs RTS Grey Goo