• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Defiance.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Has anyone played this game? Or heard of it? It's a F2P MMORPG for 360(with GOLD), PS3 and the PC with a tie-in television show of the same name. I haven't seen the show but the game seems pretty good so far. If I had to describe it: it's a 3rd person Borderlands with Battlestar Galactica-style lore.

If you haven't played it yet - I recommend you check it out! :thumbsup:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Name sounds familiar but I have never played it, will take a look.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Word of warning: if you're gonna be looking around for reviews they're above average but not amazingly good. Fortunately from what I can tell, the game has gone through vast improvements since launch and definitely worth the time. Though it's probably not for everyone - like a lot of other titles - I'd still recommend you give it a try.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Looks pretty good, it reminds me of what Borderlands was supposed to be if it had stuck to its original concept instead of shifting to the comical display it is now. Still need to get a wifi adapter for my 360 though, and after that should be fairly quick on the Gold sub. Might as well nab those free Gold games too to make the most out of it.

bluetain

Reaction score
I like defiance, it can be pretty frenetic at times and seems to be a game that is evolving all the time. It really is fun, it got trashed by critics on release, which turned most folk off trying it, which is a pity really, also good to see I am not the only person who dislikes borderlands :) For me it's a mess of a game, the art style hides deep flaws and lazy mechanics, I think that colonial Marines showed us that gearbox are not really ripping up trees or innovative, apart from cel shaded graphics, which Xiii did years ago, just my opinion of course, but I really don't like borderlands :(

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I like defiance, it can be pretty frenetic at times and seems to be a game that is evolving all the time. It really is fun, it got trashed by critics on release, which turned most folk off trying it, which is a pity really, also good to see I am not the only person who dislikes borderlands :) For me it's a mess of a game, the art style hides deep flaws and lazy mechanics, I think that colonial Marines showed us that gearbox are not really ripping up trees or innovative, apart from cel shaded graphics, which Xiii did years ago, just my opinion of course, but I really don't like borderlands :(

I can only enjoy Borderlands as a co-op experience. During Scott's(Gikoku's) visit to Scotland, we blazed through Borderlands 1 and 2 together and had a lot of fun. Borderlands 2 is a vast improvement to its predecessor of course, but I still don't think I could play it solo.

As for Defiance, I'm really glad to see someone else giving it a chance. Most of the complaints during launch were technical ones which have been fixed almost completely since then. So the game is definitely worth a try. What platform do you play on?

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Its a little harsh to totally trash MMO's on release and rate them as finished products. I often look at them in a similar way to early access titles as they are still being worked on and developed after the initial release and can evolve into something entirely different over the years. Granted you cant be as lenient with them as an early access title but both are still being developed, balanced and tweaked long after the original build is 'released'.

I liked the original Borderlands and Borderlands 2 but they arent great as single player experiences. As as co-op title they work well but as a stand alone single player title they are lacking.

bluetain

Reaction score
I can only enjoy Borderlands as a co-op experience. During Scott's(Gikoku's) visit to Scotland, we blazed through Borderlands 1 and 2 together and had a lot of fun. Borderlands 2 is a vast improvement to its predecessor of course, but I still don't think I could play it solo.

As for Defiance, I'm really glad to see someone else giving it a chance. Most of the complaints during launch were technical ones which have been fixed almost completely since then. So the game is definitely worth a try. What platform do you play on?
I play on xbox 360, I haven't made the jump to one yet as I still quite enjoy using it :) I have to admit I never played borderlands in Co op, and have probably missed the point of the game. I hate to diss a game that has given other's quite a lot of enjoyment, but I tend to play a lot of single player campaign stuff, and then later multiplayer. I suppose it's why I love halo so much, single player campaigns that are properly fleshed out still give me great enjoyment. I do like multiplayer and can be found regularly blasting zombies on black ops 2, but just never got into co-op really, apart from resident evil 5 and 6, so maybe I should revise my opinion on borderlands until I try the co-op system :)

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I play on xbox 360, I haven't made the jump to one yet as I still quite enjoy using it :)

Same. I don't think game is on current gen consoles, so you're alright. :lol:
I have to admit I never played borderlands in Co op, and have probably missed the point of the game. I hate to diss a game that has given other's quite a lot of enjoyment, but I tend to play a lot of single player campaign stuff, and then later multiplayer. I suppose it's why I love halo so much, single player campaigns that are properly fleshed out still give me great enjoyment. I do like multiplayer and can be found regularly blasting zombies on black ops 2, but just never got into co-op really, apart from resident evil 5 and 6, so maybe I should revise my opinion on borderlands until I try the co-op system :)

As far as I know Borderlands was always designed as a co-op game and the single-player side was just... there. The game's difficulty was made with multiple team mates in mind with the game actually being harder the less people you played with. Not to mention less fun. :thumbsup:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Same. I don't think game is on current gen consoles, so you're alright. :lol:

The game's difficulty was made with multiple team mates in mind with the game actually being harder the less people you played with. Not to mention less fun. :thumbsup:

The new consoles have the pre-sequel and also the difficulty was raised with the MORE people you played with. Levels were scaled higher with more people but you receive far better loot to balance it.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The new consoles have the pre-sequel...

I was talking about Defiance. =]
...and also the difficulty was raised with the MORE people you played with. Levels were scaled higher with more people but you receive far better loot to balance it.

Still have to play the pre-sequel myself. Now that it's on the current gen line I might wait until Scott and I get our Ps4/One to make use of those added bonuses. Also so I can enjoy it as part of a team, as I doubt the single player will have gotten any better.

As for the difficulty, I think it's a combination of both maybe? Scott played the single-player(in Borderlands 2) on his own and said he couldn't finish it. :/

Maybe Scotty just sucks. :lol:

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I was talking about Defiance. =]

My bad... :lol:

queenofdisco said:
Still have to play the pre-sequel myself. Now that it's on the current gen line I might wait until Scott and I get our Ps4/One to make use of those added bonuses. Also so I can enjoy it as part of a team, as I doubt the single player will have gotten any better.

As for the difficulty, I think it's a combination of both maybe? Scott played the single-player(in Borderlands 2) on his own and said he couldn't finish it. :/

I haven't played it either but then again I've barely touched Borderlands 2 either to be honest. It's tough with 1 person as things are designed to be played with friends and no-one to revive you etc. However enemies are far tougher when you play with more players and are much higher levels. When someone joins your game you see text on screen that says "The creatures of Pandora grow stronger" then when someone leaves your game you see text that says "The creatures of Pandora grow weaker".

I'm looking forward to seeing how Elite Dangerous, No Mans Sky & Star Citizen end up too.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
My bad... :lol:

No problem - I do it all the time too. :p
I haven't played it either but then again I've barely touched Borderlands 2 either to be honest. It's tough with 1 person as things are designed to be played with friends and no-one to revive you etc. However enemies are far tougher when you play with more players and are much higher levels.

Aye, that sounds about right. There were times playing Borderlands 1/2 where I would have been screwed if it were not for the team revivals. Obviously I saved Scott's ass more often. :D

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Yeah, the original Borderlands is a bland game no matter which way you slice it (best to skip it, doesn't really have a story anyway). BL2 is way better, but it gets boring pretty quick on solo, but on co-op I had a much more enjoyable experience. So I definitely recommend giving it a chance if you have someone else to play with, just wish that the character customization wasn't such an afterthought.
Its a little harsh to totally trash MMO's on release and rate them as finished products. I often look at them in a similar way to early access titles as they are still being worked on and developed after the initial release and can evolve into something entirely different over the years. Granted you cant be as lenient with them as an early access title but both are still being developed, balanced and tweaked long after the original build is 'released'.

I liked the original Borderlands and Borderlands 2 but they arent great as single player experiences. As as co-op title they work well but as a stand alone single player title they are lacking.
And this is another reason why I can't stand that antiquated, limited, and often controversial score system for reviews. If an MMO gets a bad review at launch, that 4/10 or 6/10 is going to stay there for years, even after the game has become so much better. I'd prefer they just give their opinion and whether or not they recommend the game, with unbiased explanations as to why. An MMO could be not recommended for the time being, but explained that down the line things can potentially change and for folks to keep an eye on the game until then. This is why I love Classic Game Room, no scores, no BS, just gives his opinion and lets you see the game in action. Simple.

Hey! D:

I did pretty well on my own all things considered, my main issue was also that enemies respawn (bosses too) in the same places, and fairly quickly at that when backtracking. From what I've seen on both fronts, solo & co-op get the same amount of enemies spawned, but their health is lower with damage adjusted... still doesn't change their teamwork and ability to be downright ruthless at times. Without someone to tag along and watch my back (Claptrap doesn't count), it just got really frustrating and boring for me. Lonely even, being able to conjure up a strategy with a co-op partner and watching said plan work out just gives the game that special layer of enjoyment.
Aye, that sounds about right. There were times playing Borderlands 1/2 where I would have been screwed if it were not for the team revivals. Obviously I saved Scott's ass more often. :D
Pssh, I saved your tail just as many times... okay and maybe got you killed a few times, but hey! Still got the job done.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Pssh, I saved your tail just as many times... okay and maybe got you killed a few times, but hey! Still got the job done.

Remember that time you died and I had to take out all the enemies on my own, and you were laying down in the foetal position wailing about how sorry you were for letting me down?

'Cuz I do.