• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dragon Ball related questions

White_Howler

Werewolf Sage
Reaction score
He was definitely a breath of fresh air for the series from his unique outfit to his intriguing role in the show, especially given his ruined life. I really liked how he was so determined to prove to Vegeta his worth and earn his respect, despite the fact his father is an egotistical asshole who does very little to nothing for his son in return. It's unfortunate Kid Trunks wasn't as awesome as him, but the reason for that is completely understandable.

Yea kid Trunks could never be as cool as Future Trunks. But then, Gohan in that world was also about 10x cooler than actual Gohan. Sorry but having one arm and STILL managing to be super badass is just plain awesome. Even if he DID end up dying at the end of it all.

Well.. Goku, Gohan, and Goten in Japanese are all played by the same woman (Masako Nozawa) after all. ;)

DBZ in America issue was simply due to FUNimation modifying the product and even dumbing it down to appeal to a younger audience. As much I didn't like that, it still had its moments of enjoyment through it all. FUNimation has long since learned from their mistakes which is clearly evident with DB Kai. That's one thing I'll give the voice-acting in Kai, is that they have a lot of passion in their acting and characters that you don't see with a lot of other English dubs.

I like both the Eng/JP dubs of the original show, but Japanese definitely has the edge for me since the dialogue is true to the manga and isn't butchered for the sake of ratings.

I definitely need to see it in Japanese with subtitles, I feel like it would mean more to me. While i still enjoyed FUNimations butchery as a kid, I don't think I would these days. I despise censorship and 'dumbing down', and idc if Goku/Gohan/Goten is voiced by a girl, i figured as much anyway lmao!

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys can stand watching the Japanese version. The voices are just so awful. Characters like Omega Shenron that have added effects to their voices just have normal Japanese voices in the Japanese version. I mean, come on, watch this and tell me that the Japanese version is better. In the first version, I get goosebumps when I watch it. I'm concentrated so intently on what's happening, but then when I skip to the Japanese version, I find myself thinking, "who the hell stuck that retarded chipmunk in Goku's voice box?" It just sucks the epicness right out of moments like these.

It's unfortunate Kid Trunks wasn't as awesome as him, but the reason for that is completely understandable.

I was having a conversation about DBZ with a friend of mine, and he said he wondered why Future Trunks was so much cooler than Kid Trunks, and I told him it was because Future Trunks didn't have Vegeta around to screw him up. :lol: He hung his head and sighed because Vegeta's his favorite character (no idea why).

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys can stand watching the Japanese version. The voices are just so awful. Characters like Omega Shenron that have added effects to their voices just have normal Japanese voices in the Japanese version. I mean, come on, watch this and tell me that the Japanese version is better. In the first version, I get goosebumps when I watch it. I'm concentrated so intently on what's happening, but then when I skip to the Japanese version, I find myself thinking, "who the hell stuck that retarded chipmunk in Goku's voice box?" It just sucks the epicness right out of moments like these.

I'll admit, when I first heard the Japanese voices it really turned me off, especially Nozawa's voice for Gohan & Goku, because it was so bizarre from what I was used to. Greatly preferring FUNi's rendition of the voices, but after awhile the Japanese voices really started to grow on me and now I greatly enjoy them (especially Krillin & Vegeta's). Nozawa's voice acting is fantastic when given more of a chance, not to mention she's very flexible in her acting if you've seen any of her other past works (not surprising she's considered a legend).

However, the one Japanese voice that is utter rubbish is Yajirobe's voice, it doesn't fit his looks at all and sounds absolutely ridiculous, thus I prefer FUNi's version of Yajirobe by a mile.

Necromancer said:
I was having a conversation about DBZ with a friend of mine, and he said he wondered why Future Trunks was so much cooler than Kid Trunks, and I told him it was because Future Trunks didn't have Vegeta around to screw him up. :lol: He hung his head and sighed because Vegeta's his favorite character (no idea why).

Dude, Vegeta is badass. What's not to like about him?

Kid Trunks is a spoiled little brat, I can't stand him. Pity reality didn't strike him at a young age like it did for Goku and Gohan.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Dude, Vegeta is badass. What's not to like about him?

I dislike Vegeta in the same way I dislike Reaver (though to a lesser extent than Reaver). I hate their guts, but they're both well made characters that contribute greatly to their respective stories, and I'd never have them removed.

Vegeta is just so god damn hard headed. He's much too tied up in his honor and in being the strongest simply for the sake of being the strongest. He doesn't possess the independent thinking to rethink what he'd been taught as a child, and it takes years of pushing by other characters to get him to realize that he needs to rearrange his values. And because of all this, he just seems so incredibly unhappy all the time. That's why I like Vegeta the best in the Buu Saga during his internal transformation.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
You sure you won't give the Japanese voices another chance?

I dislike Vegeta in the same way I dislike Reaver (though to a lesser extent than Reaver). I hate their guts, but they're both well made characters that contribute greatly to their respective stories, and I'd never have them removed.

Vegeta is just so god damn hard headed. He's much too tied up in his honor and in being the strongest simply for the sake of being the strongest. He doesn't possess the independent thinking to rethink what he'd been taught as a child, and it takes years of pushing by other characters to get him to realize that he needs to rearrange his values. And because of all this, he just seems so incredibly unhappy all the time. That's why I like Vegeta the best in the Buu Saga during his internal transformation.
Well can you really blame him? It was how he was raised, all pure blooded Saiyans (barring Goku) are obsessed with power and pride, but more so Vegeta given the fact he is royalty. It wasn't (as you said) until he started hanging around the rest of the characters that he finally realized the errors of his ways and that his old way of living is no longer necessary. When you're practically the last of your kind, I guess it becomes a big deal.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The best sagas in DBZ to me is easily from Androids saga to Cell Games saga, Perfect Cell is by far my favorite villain of all Dragon Ball and I love the writing they did for him. It's also where Goku isn't the primary focus for once and everyone gets a chance to properly shine in the show. Though I have a soft spot for the Namek saga, I felt the Androids - Cell Games sagas have Toriyama's best character writing.

I liked DBZ the best and I agree totally and I also enjoyed the Namek/Frieza saga but didnt like GT at all.

PS Vegeta is badass and my favourite character.

If I EVER watch DBZ again, it will be in it's uncut, fully gory and vulgar form. The American version is horrid and tacky. I've seen a couple Japanese episodes here and there, (is it just me or does Goku sound like a chick?), and they were infinitely better. The brutality was magnified by 8000 (heh), and things just seemed... I dunno... less cheeky and cheesy... Less 'Cartoon network Syndrome'....-y.

Really would like to see it in all it's full glory rather than some edited, and shoddily produced American cheap knockoff.

The uncut version is much better, just feels like a less made for the cartoon channels version as you said. Blood, more violence and swearing which all adds up to a better package.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

I suppose that was better than what Goku sounds like, but it would still be difficult to watch entire episodes of that, partially because I'm just used to their English voices and the characters don't seem like themselves with different voice actors, and partially because a show or a movie in a different language with subtitles is just not immersive enough to keep me interested. Plus, Goku's voice would still be there, and I just can't stand that.

Well can you really blame him? It was how he was raised, all pure blooded Saiyans (barring Goku) are obsessed with power and pride, but more so Vegeta given the fact he is royalty. It wasn't (as you said) until he started hanging around the rest of the characters that he finally realized the errors of his ways and that his old way of living is no longer necessary. When you're practically the last of your kind, I guess it becomes a big deal.

Well sure, of course it's understandable, though it doesn't mean I like it much more. Still though, I really do start to like Vegeta in the Buu Saga, like when he tries to kill Fat Buu or when you can hear his thoughts as Goku's fighting Kid Buu. And it even shows in The Wrath of the Dragon when he saves those people in that office building, which was a really nice touch to what I consider to be the best DBZ movie.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I suppose that was better than what Goku sounds like, but it would still be difficult to watch entire episodes of that, partially because I'm just used to their English voices and the characters don't seem like themselves with different voice actors, and partially because a show or a movie in a different language with subtitles is just not immersive enough to keep me interested. Plus, Goku's voice would still be there, and I just can't stand that.

Fair enough.
Necromancer said:
Well sure, of course it's understandable, though it doesn't mean I like it much more. Still though, I really do start to like Vegeta in the Buu Saga, like when he tries to kill Fat Buu or when you can hear his thoughts as Goku's fighting Kid Buu. And it even shows in The Wrath of the Dragon when he saves those people in that office building, which was a really nice touch to what I consider to be the best DBZ movie.
I really liked those parts because it finally gave us a different side of Vegeta that helped made him more well-rounded of a character. Vegeta should've killed Buu, seriously, a major turning point for his character and after all that epic build up and his suicide, yet Goku is still the one to save the day in the end.

It got on my nerves how Vegeta went from being the crafty villain who often outwitted his adversaries on Namek, to the power-hungry whiner that always threw a fit when he couldn't be stronger than Goku. What made it even worse was that Goku didn't even seem to care all that much about the situation.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Not to break away from the discussion but I was reading this thread and my roommate just walked into the bathroom and took a **** with the door open. He's an exchange student from China and he never talks to anybody. My room is right across the hall from the bathroom and I think he assumed I was out having a smoke.

This is so, so strange. I can hear him over there and I'm afraid to make any noise.
:'(

EDIT: Phew. He finished and just left the dorm. Left a real nasty odor wafting about though. Anyhow, DBZ is the only one I've seen through and through. DB didn't have the action level to keep me occupied at the time and I lost interest in DBGT in the first few episodes. Wouldn't mind giving either one another chance, though.

My favorite DBZ saga was with Frieza. The whole bit with them running around planet Namek, ducking away from stronger fighters while waiting for Goku, and Vegeta pwning a few upstarted noobs was fantastic. Then Goku arrived and we all know what happens after that.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I like the old fart who's always trying to sneak a peak at the starring ladies' unmentionables.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
First off: Apparently I missed out in my childhood, and have only started watching since the end of last year.

Secondly: Watch the uncut and digitally remastered episodes with FUNimation voicing.

Lastly: I'm now in the Cell saga, and DBZ is pretty cool. But I fo prefer the originl Dragon Ball, when everything was new. I also prefer kid Goku to adult Goku, but when Gohan started training I thought he was pretty cool too.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
I want to watch DBZ again after loving it as a child. But I thought I'd ask a few questions first..

1. Which is the best series? DB, DBZ or DBGT? I'm assuming DBZ.
2. Which is the best DBZ saga?
3. I'm currently going to watch them on dbzremastered.com but sometimes, the videos are down due to copyright and such so does anyone have any alternative sites I can go to in case of emergencies?

1. DBZ
2. Cell or Buu
3. sorry bud but i have season 4-9 on dvd so i cant help you there... :(

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Vegeta should've killed Buu, seriously, a major turning point for his character and after all that epic build up and his suicide, yet Goku is still the one to save the day in the end.

Do you mean he should have killed Fat Buu when he blew himself up, or that he should have killed Kid Buu in the end on the Supreme Kai's planet? Because, obviously, the saga would have been way too short if he killed Fat Buu when he blew himself up. And I actually prefer the way the Buu saga really ended. After all, Goku hadn't really saved the day since Frieza, and I think the series needed its old hero back. Plus, after Vegeta's internal transformation, helping Goku defeat Buu used a practical situation to show how he had changed.

What made it even worse was that Goku didn't even seem to care all that much about the situation.

That's not really how I saw it. It just seemed to me like Goku was trying to help him change the entire time.

DB didn't have the action level to keep me occupied

Agreed. I just didn't interest me much, and that was definitely one of the reasons. I think I might start watching some of the later episodes though, like the sagas with Tien and Piccolo.

I lost interest in DBGT in the first few episodes.

Yea, the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga (which is GT's first saga) is really not that good. That's why I recommended starting GT with the Baby Saga. When I was going through every episode of GT, that's when I actually started to enjoy it.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I like the old fart who's always trying to sneak a peak at the starring ladies' unmentionables.
Aye, Master Roshi is total win.
Do you mean he should have killed Fat Buu when he blew himself up, or that he should have killed Kid Buu in the end on the Supreme Kai's planet? Because, obviously, the saga would have been way too short if he killed Fat Buu when he blew himself up. And I actually prefer the way the Buu saga really ended. After all, Goku hadn't really saved the day since Frieza, and I think the series needed its old hero back. Plus, after Vegeta's internal transformation, helping Goku defeat Buu used a practical situation to show how he had changed.
Fat Buu.

I just felt that Vegeta (who never gets to save the day) was royally screwed in that scenario. I understand it would've been too short had he been successful, but it can't be helped.. I'm a butthurt Vegeta fan.

Necromancer said:
That's not really how I saw it. It just seemed to me like Goku was trying to help him change the entire time.
Perhaps, but my problem is his apparent lack of interest in Vegeta wanting to be stronger than him which made Vegeta look even more silly.

Vegeta: I will be stronger than you, Kakarot, and I will defeat you one day as the prince of all saiyans!!
Goku: Cool story, bro.

Wouldn't mind giving either one another chance, though.
Necromancer said:
Agreed. I just didn't interest me much, and that was definitely one of the reasons. I think I might start watching some of the later episodes though, like the sagas with Tien and Piccolo.

Definitely go for the Tien and Piccolo Jr. sagas if action is more your thing, Tien is a far better character in Dragon Ball than his unmemorable self in DBZ.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
My favourite Super Saiyan is Krillin. :troll:
samuel_l_jackson.gif

White_Howler

Werewolf Sage
Reaction score
Perhaps, but my problem is his apparent lack of interest in Vegeta wanting to be stronger than him which made Vegeta look even more silly.

Vegeta: I will be stronger than you, Kakarot, and I will defeat you one day as the prince of all saiyans!!
Goku: Cool story, bro.

Definetly understand what you mean here.

But at the same time this.

I always saw the whole Goku x Vegeta thing like this. Goku never ever hated Vegeta, and Vegeta just wanted to be the strongest because he was a prince and Goku was a commoner. Makes sense to me for a race hell-bent on getting stronger.

As things wore on and Vegeta started to realize his inferiority it ****ed him off, perhaps moreso that Goku didn't seem to care. But Goku I think knew how hot-headed Vegeta was and that if he played too much into it Vegeta wouldn't grow on his own. Perhaps Goku realized that Vegeta really is strong, almost as strong as him, but Vegeta needed to learn a valuable lesson in his eyes: The strong do not fight for personal glory or power... they fight to protect those dear to them.

It's a classic anime meme. 'Friends XD Happy! JOY. BATTLE TO SAVE THEM! WEEE!' And Goku already did that, but Vegeta didn't. I never got to see all of GT but I've been told that Vegeta is sort of resigned to the fact that Goku is stronger than him, solely because he is far more selfless in why he fights.

Just my nickel.