• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ending- what the hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onwingsoflead

Reaction score
I do not play this game anymore, and haven't for a few weeks now, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood blew Fable III out of the water, hands down.

SebClem

Reaction score
Just on a side note - what did people think of the actual ending?

I found it took me absolutely ages to get the 6.5 mil, once I got it - I managed to complete the game within half hour. I thought the ending lacked a little bit... Just not enough emotion? Or I didn't feel connected enough to the characters? Not very epic?

Not sure. All I can say is now I've completed it, I'm not too fussed to keep playing. Its a fantastic game, but in all honesty I'm a little glad to not run around doing little fetch quests waiting for my rent and profits to roll in. The main story line was a little short for my liking. Dragon Stomper is amazing.

Basically - not a patch on Mass Effect unfortunately.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
The thing is, a boss fight should be different from all the other fights in the game. This one was not. It was identical to all the other crawler fights in the game, only *slightly* harder.

SebClem

Reaction score
Yeah I had the dragonstomper and just smashed him up. Just wasn't really satisfied with the amount of game time, there was more a feeling of relief at the end of the game that I'd finished it (and therefore didn't feel utterly compelled to keep playing) rather than 'completed an epic' like at the end of the fable 2.

I actually enjoyed the end of fable 2 more - lining up one single shot to luciens head to kill him rather than just a normal battle.

SebClem

Reaction score
while he was trying to talk away what he did it was just 'bam' shut up!

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Too bad if you'd decided you didn't actually want to kill the bugger.

Oh, but I guess it's Lionhead's game and we have to play it the way they want.

SebClem

Reaction score

kill walter or kill lucien?

Khalin

Reaction score

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but this statement sounds silly. The same can be said of any game. With the exception of cheating and the like, you're going to have to play however the developers allow you to. Any freedoms you have in the game are freedoms that the developers want you to have. If you're required to kill Kefka in order to complete Final Fantasy VI's main story, then... well, you're going to have to kill Kefka in order to complete Final Fantasy VI's main story. It was canon for Lucien to die.

As for the ending, I didn't have an issue with the money since I already almost had 8 mil by the time the 121 day marker came by during my first playthrough of the game. The drop to 121 days was also a rather large one, which I took as a warning that the end of the game was probably near. I admit it was a very poor warning, but it was still obvious enough for me to not fall for it.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but this statement sounds silly. The same can be said of any game. With the exception of cheating and the like, you're going to have to play however the developers allow you to. Any freedoms you have in the game are freedoms that the developers want you to have. If you're required to kill Kefka in order to complete Final Fantasy VI's main story, then... well, you're going to have to kill Kefka in order to complete Final Fantasy VI's main story. It was canon for Lucien to die.

New Vegas had about a billion different endings. All I'm asking for is the same level of thing.

Zangash

Reaction score

As for the ending, I didn't have an issue with the money since I already almost had 8 mil by the time the 121 day marker came by during my first playthrough of the game. The drop to 121 days was also a rather large one, which I took as a warning that the end of the game was probably near. I admit it was a very poor warning, but it was still obvious enough for me to not fall for it.

Considering the series was originally based on your choices, that post makes no sense. In Fable TLC I put Jack's mask on. In the canon I did not. I was still given the choice to. I also killed my sister, yet she's the main recurring character in the sequels... Fable is sucking the choice out of a game all about choice and it's a very, very bad thing. Using the canon as a defense is meaningless, as I can stick my finger (Not even a full hand) into history and pull out information that throws those thoughts out of the window.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
They should sell Fable to Bethesda.

Khalin

Reaction score
Considering the series was originally based on your choices, that post makes no sense. In Fable TLC I put Jack's mask on. In the canon I did not. I was still given the choice to. I also killed my sister, yet she's the main recurring character in the sequels... Fable is sucking the choice out of a game all about choice and it's a very, very bad thing. Using the canon as a defense is meaningless, as I can stick my finger (Not even a full hand) into history and pull out information that throws those thoughts out of the window.
What you say is true, yes, but I don't think you understood what I was trying to say, so I'll elaborate on what I meant.

What I was saying was that you're only going to be allowed to do what the developers want to allow you to do. You're given the choice to kill Lucien or to let him live, but if you choose to not to kill him, Reaver kills him anyways. You're also given a choice afterward of what kind of reward you'll want. I don't really know what's canon in that, but you're only offered the choices they want you to have. You have to defeat Jack of Blades in Fable: TLC in order to complete the main story line. They allow you to choose whether or not to wear his mask, but that's about it. I don't see much power in choice for that either since after you get the mask, you can get married and still be a "good guy", never harming another villager again, even though it's supposedly Jack in your body. Save for an ugly change in your appearance and some evil points which can quickly be done away with, there is absolutely nothing at all to show the consequences of wearing Jack's mask. Unless you want to count the post-game journal entry. Even the ending "cutscene" narrated by the Guildmaster [whether or not he's acutally still alive] sheds almost no light on any ensuing events after you put the mask on. I'm actually against alternate endings that are poorly developed and offer little depth.

I mentioned the part about Lucien's death being canon to explain why their choice to end the game that way is justified in my eyes. I was not saying that something being canon should justify a linear ending in a game based on choice. I didn't really add much of this in my first post, but I should say that I'd rather take one good or at least satisfying ending, rather than dull alternative endings that don't really show or elaborate much. This makes the meaning of the alternate endings rather insignificant... at least, that's how they feel to me. It would have been possible to make a very interesting out of actually being able to spare Lucien [for real] or even joining his side, however based on all three Fable games, I'd have to say that Lionhead probably wouldn't have handled it too well, and it would've felt surprisingly anticlimactic like the Jack's mask ending was to me. No matter how much choice is offered, some degree of canon generally has to occur. How much and which aspects of that are required to occur during gameplay should be determined by the wisdom of the developers. I hope that better explains what I was trying to get at before.

They should sell Fable to Bethesda.
That is an interesting proposal, but I think that Fable should stay as Fable, and remain in the hands of Lionhead Studios and Peter Molyneux. This is their opportunity to learn from and correct their mistakes with future releases, and show us their point of view as well as their aesthetic for game design. And in my opinion at least, they aren't doing terribly bad. I could type up a huge list of things I feel should have been different, things I felt should have been added, and general criticisms. However, I can't deny the fact that despite everything I see wrong with the game, I've thoroughly enjoyed it and clocked in about 165 hours of gameplay since its release [I'm finishing my third playthrough right now]. I can make a strikingly similar statement about Fable I as well, which is relevant to my point that their purpose should be to enjoyable and entertaining for their audiences, which Fable I and III definitely do [I'm not saying Fable II since many people seemed sorely disappointed in it, myself included]. Considering how many copies of Fable III sold and how much replay value it's been praised for, they're at least on the right track.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Lionhead have already had the chance to learn from their mistakes, and all they made were more mistakes.

AlmightyLush

Reaction score
Fable 3 has a definite voice. I think the ending felt a little quick, slightly too easy, but as some have discovered, if you acquire the Dragonstomper by the end of the game, everything is easy. Still you did feel this sense of growth from when you woke up in your posh bed in the castle, til you sat on the throne and dealt out whatever form of justice you thought fit leading up to the final fight. The expressions on my hero's face changed. He looked very different because of the customizing I did to him. If you walk down your Road to Rule and your character looks basically the same at every gate, then you can bet that you probably didn't take too much time to think about how you wanted to personalize the game.
It's really the little things that make the "end" an epic. I take great pleasure in seeing the Auroran's society flourish because of the decisions I made and how I decided to treat their plight. They went from a civilization waiting to take its final breath to a flourishing part of Albion that's a breath of fresh air. I'm their hero and their king. there's something basically satisfying about that.
Same can be said about Driftwood. Same can be said about the thriving University town I've made out of Brightwall, etc.

If you really take an interest in the detail of the game, you can enjoy it and the quirkiness of the experience. It you thought that you can just blast through the game and expect to be spoon fed some kind of existential awakening, you were probably, rightfully disappointed.

Mr Fable

Playing Fable III
Reaction score
Luckily I read forums before I got the game to see what the game was like and its flaws and I new not to continue till i had a **** load of money :D

Eduardo

Reaction score
how many people would be on the streets is i only make like 5.5 million gold?

SebClem

Reaction score
Same can be said about Driftwood. Same can be said about the thriving University town I've made out of Brightwall, etc.

If you really take an interest in the detail of the game, you can enjoy it and the quirkiness of the experience. It you thought that you can just blast through the game and expect to be spoon fed some kind of existential awakening, you were probably, rightfully disappointed.

I competely agree, but I just feel like they spent a little too much time working on the tiny details, and not enough developing the stroy line. but I didn't really feel much character progression from waking up in a bed to defeating the darkness.

AlmightyLush

Reaction score
I competely agree, but I just feel like they spent a little too much time working on the tiny details, and not enough developing the stroy line. but I didn't really feel much character progression from waking up in a bed to defeating the darkness.
I agree that sometimes the detail overbears the character at times.
I think the game struggles with the permanence of actions in some cases. for example: You can kill 8 people in the middle of Bowerstone and everyone will hate and revile you, but if you play patty-cake with the survivors enough times, they will still be your friend.
The original concept of Fable was that your actions shape who you are. What you look like...how people regard you. I find that you see more permanent effect from having unprotected sex than from making a decision to send someone to their death. You do have a morality meter, but it's arguable whether this really matters in the end.
I think the game would have benefited from some character exposition prior to your prince or princess becoming an instant hero. Maybe giving the instant advantage of being able to wield magic pretty much from the start robs the sense of a personal journey that is difficult, challenging...showing growth. In future maybe the production could center more on building up ability to face problems, rather than simply making 2 point perspective decisions...good or bad etc.

m800_runner

If you ain't happy, you ain't livin'
Reaction score
I do not play this game anymore, and haven't for a few weeks now, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood blew Fable III out of the water, hands down.

yea ACB is awesome. of course they are completely different games. in fable you are essentially you. in ACB you are Ezio :p

Selkirk16

Reaction score
Yeah the ending was a *little* bit of a let-down... but it goes in line with how they've dumbed down Fable 3 to appeal to more gamers. The stupid 50 weapons achievement is probably their way of making gamers spend way more time on the game than they'd actually want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.