• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable 2 Much?

I

I.c.o.n

Fable 2 Much?

Do not get me wrong, I think the staff has done a great job with Fable, and Fable 2 looks great, but is there such a thing as too much? Each time I see PM talk about planting an acorn and returning to see a tree, or the interaction of playing with your dog in front of your children makes for a great experience in Fable 2, I think to myself... This is a video game, if I wanted to plant a tree I would go outside and plant one, or if I wanted to play with my dog and children, I would take my dog to the park. I would like to see a world in which good vs evil plays a roll, I would like to be a praised hero of the given cities, or a bandit king or outlaw leader in the outskirtish camps and dark sectors of society. It seems to me that PM and Lionhead are trying to make the best, most well rounded game ever created. Lets combine Animal Crossing, Elder Scrolls, Zelda, and elements that were great from any other game and combine them to make the ULTIMATE game!
I say, focus in on an element that makes your game stand out, and make it the best possible game in said market, once you have achieved greatness (ie: Grand Theft Auto series) then you can impliment and add anything you see fit...
I ultimatly want a game that I can just keep picking up and putting in often and enjoying over and over.. I think once the "ohh thats cute, I have kids, and they play with my dog", or "hey, thats my tree!!", and the landscape and vistas are all seen, will the game be anything more than a screen saver?
Is there anything about any of the hype surrounding Fable 2 that makes you say, maybe if they did not aim so high, they perhapse would not fall so short?

Z

Zingo

Re: Fable 2 Much?

Since the xbox both programming and hardware has developed insanely much. Just take a look at spore, you make a totally random creature (you can even import 3D models!) and then a script animates and program the behaviour of it. Walking, eating, mating, attacking, sleeping and so on...

Today we even have computer programs (chat-bots, only NASA and such have the really good ones) that can trick you into thinking they are human.

What I'm trying to say is, technology is so advanced that making all the things P.M said is possible, even if it will take quite some time to implement it all. Even having kids reacting differently to other kids based upon how you react to those kid's parents, and similiar.

So, based upon the technology that we have, I hope that Lionhead really puts some time into this instead of skipping features just to cut-down the release-date.

D

Darg

I.c.o.n;168475 said:
Do not get me wrong, I think the staff has done a great job with Fable, and Fable 2 looks great, but is there such a thing as too much? Each time I see PM talk about planting an acorn and returning to see a tree, or the interaction of playing with your dog in front of your children makes for a great experience in Fable 2, I think to myself... This is a video game, if I wanted to plant a tree I would go outside and plant one, or if I wanted to play with my dog and children, I would take my dog to the park. I would like to see a world in which good vs evil plays a roll, I would like to be a praised hero of the given cities, or a bandit king or outlaw leader in the outskirtish camps and dark sectors of society. It seems to me that PM and Lionhead are trying to make the best, most well rounded game ever created. Lets combine Animal Crossing, Elder Scrolls, Zelda, and elements that were great from any other game and combine them to make the ULTIMATE game!
I say, focus in on an element that makes your game stand out, and make it the best possible game in said market, once you have achieved greatness (ie: Grand Theft Auto series) then you can impliment and add anything you see fit...
I ultimatly want a game that I can just keep picking up and putting in often and enjoying over and over.. I think once the "ohh thats cute, I have kids, and they play with my dog", or "hey, thats my tree!!", and the landscape and vistas are all seen, will the game be anything more than a screen saver?
Is there anything about any of the hype surrounding Fable 2 that makes you say, maybe if they did not aim so high, they perhapse would not fall so short?

Still, I think you have a good point. We've heard more about this supposedly-uber tree-planting, family-oriented game and whatnot that it's hard to believe it's going to be the sequel to good ol' swashbuckling, epic and yet funny Fable. All in all, I think they should focus more on the main features rather than the side things you can do, really. That way, I think people will be more inclined to try the game and then discover those features on their own. A good game lets you find these things, features that you never really expected but totally loved. Well, that ship's already sailed, because we're going to know all about what we can do with what PM has already said. But enough rambling for now. That's just my opinion.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Only a moron would shoot himself in the foot twice. I think they'll pull through, if Fable 2 flops like Fable did due to not living up to the hype, Lionhead aint gonna sell any future games they make.

I

I.c.o.n

The purpose of my origional post was not to in any way bash LH studio or PM for that matter. I am just simply stating that if they were to keep this installment simple I think they would benefit in the long run. The Xbox had some nice capibilities, and the Xbox 360 far surpasses it, that does not mean throw anything you think of onto the system and hey... lets hope this works out. Everything PM states is, we want to do this, but in order to do that, we have to impliment this, this, this, and that in order to get there. It makes my heard hurt hearing this, because he is using valuable time and space on side aspects of the game, then really digging in deep and making the gutts of the game solid and well versed. Let LH and PM make Fable an outstandingly deep, fun and interactive experience full of love and hate, good and evil, black and white, then as future installments come into play, or totally different game ideas in the future can use the tree planting expedition and kids interacting with pets. I have to agree with what Darg said in an earlier response... it's hard to believe it's going to be the sequel to good ol' swashbuckling, epic and yet funny Fable. And at the end of the day, that makes me sad.

A

ashinator

yeah but the time isnt a big deal i mean that we have so many new games commin for the 360 e.g. prototype, resident evil 5, the new star wars ect we can get the games then get fable but in the meantime we got other games

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

You're worrying about nothing. Fable 2 is Fable, the same solid gameplay will be there, but with a buttload of things in addition to that. Things that he has had in his mind and had time to shape into perfection since they were working on the original so many years ago.

In short; Fable 2 is how Peter always wanted Fable to have been, and thus it will be Fable... but wastly improved.

Z

Zingo

I agree with Tsuyu!

Fable 2 will be what Fable was intended to be, but with the unrealistic and not very gameplay-contributing features taken out (growing trees...)

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Hey now don't go racking down on ze trees! They played a major role in both Populus and Black & White. :lol:

S

sabre3993

i always wanted to play black and white... Dang, but anyways, of what u said about going back and implementing things, it'll probably come in a download(and microsoft will get their money for em). With so many good solid games coming out 4 the 360, almost each game has a really unique feature, and once you've taken that many implements from other games and put it in your one, that'll be alotta downloads and a hell of alotta money for someone new to the fable world to get the game experience that others are getting. Also, sooner or later down the line (hopefully) fable 3 will come, and you'll want better graphics, physiics, gameplay, etc... if u see what i'm sayin. [sorry 4 ramblin on...lol]

Ishrin

Oakvale Drunkard
Reaction score

I agree with Tsuyu 100%, and I'd love to see my own tree grow and then carve my name on it saying "Ishrin's Tree of Might" or "Ish+Rin=Ishrin" lol that'd be great and if I could get a hold of a siberian husky my fable gaming experience will be complete....*nod*

C

CJFreeze

Well you see alot of people these days live in the city which does not give us the oppertunity to plant trees and watch them grow or even play outside with your dog in the front yard.

If a developper wants time to be a huge factor in character and world progression you need to be able to see it everywhere and feel it everywhere. Too much is never too much when playing a video game for instance. Granted it makes alot of people uncomfortable with the aspect of a video game replacing real life but with an Urban lifestyle the real life becomes void of the things that truly matter such as playing outside and planting trees and enjoying what nature can provide. The real question you should be asking yourself is do you think it will add or takeaway from the game experience and then once you answer that then ask yourself are you more fortunate or less than other regarding your surroundings and oppertunities?

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

Whether or not there is too much hype for Fable 2 has a lot to do with how you take the information that's being given and a lot to do with Peter M's natural excitable nature.

Imagine for a moment that you were given the opportunity to create "The greatest RPG of all time" then you spent years working on it. Now imagine that those years were starting to pay off with real game play and it was as good as you had hoped. I'd be pretty damn excited too.

So long as there is a nice trickle of info from now until the release date with no plot spoilers I'll be fine

I

I.c.o.n

I get what may of you are saying, and agree to one degree or another. However I feel that the point I am trying to make is being transformed into something its not. I would like to see PM/LHS/Fable series get its legs solidly under them first before implimenting everything PM has ever thought to put into a game. As I stated before, the GTA series. GTA started as an overhead kind of action/driving game with some missions and some factions. They took the bulk work of what their game was about and gave us GTA3. While it shook the core of the gaming industry, we really did not know what we were witnessing until the later installments of GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas. Each game gaining ground, each game looking better, feeling better, adding more and more to each experience. I can not settle for the answer that Fable 2 on the XBOX 360 is what PM wanted the origional Fable to be. If thats the case, 1 should have never been released. If LHS and PM take Fable and make it a masterful RPG/Action game, with a non breakable core of story and control, then in later installments add side items/situations/abilities, I have no problem with that. I will be heavily disapointed if Fable 2 is 10-13 hours of solid, non-stop, action packed game play, and then 10-13 hours of planting trees and playing with your dog. I say, Give us a world changing, earth quaking, RPG installment of 20-25 hours of solid controls, gripping storyline, intense battles, then in Fable 3, start adding onto that already proven system with the trees, the vistas and the dog play. One can hardly consider Fable 1 a huge success and an already proven system (the character could not even jump) add that to all the criticism and let down gamers claimed from PM's promises not making the final cut. While it was a solid game, and without the hype surrounding it could have achieved greatness, it still fell short. Look before you leap, and crawl before you walk, walk before you run. PM and LHS are tending to just crawl, run and leap with no second looks. Hopefully they land on their feet and hopefully we can all enjoy the experience. This board for Fable 2 can very well turn from a fan fare of "Ohhhh Ohhh I cant wait!!!!" to "Ummmmm.. I cant believe I waited so long for that pice of ..." And I think if that were to be the case, it would make all of our days a little less bright.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

..But he's put so much work into the dog's AI. Everythings AI. I like the concept of planting Trees. :noexpression: There are too many people in the world to include all aspects that people want into a video game.