• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable 3's armour system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paragon

The Ghoul
Reaction score
Re: Fable 3's armour system.

I loved the way armor worked in the first Fable. It's a shame they had to do away with it. I can understand why though, since so much time has passed since then and whatnot.
I'll still be happy as long as they have clothes in the game that looks like armor. And from the looks of screenshots, it sure looks like there is.

Reaction score

Yeah, traditional metal armour by the time of Fable 3 is pretty obselete, may have been good for deflecting sword strikes but walk into a volley of musket fire & Your as good as gone, the armour is not flexible enough to accomodate the shock caused by the bullet it's too rigid. It can not absorb & disperse the force & impact like modern day kevlar. Plate armour wasn't designed to deflect bullets.

POOP

Whatever floats your goat
Reaction score

I don't really understand it, though. I get that Fable II and III are supposed to be times when guns were used, but you'll notice most of the fighting is still done with swords and the like in the game.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

POOP;413409 said:
I don't really understand it, though. I get that Fable II and III are supposed to be times when guns were used, but you'll notice most of the fighting is still done with swords and the like in the game.

I thought everyone was using guns? Bandits reach for their rifles more often than not and Spire Soldiers their pistols.

Plus most hero's realized pretty quick just how broken firearms were in Fable II

Lithary

Reaction score

Removing armor and armor rating is huge flaw in my opinion...

Arc Caster

Sarcastic Slacker
Reaction score

Why? Everyone would wear the best armour if the difference was substantial, and if not they wouldn't care. It's just a lot of unnecessary fuss. Remember 3's premise:
Quality over quantity of features.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Arc Caster;413458 said:
Why? Everyone would wear the best armour if the difference was substantial, and if not they wouldn't care. It's just a lot of unnecessary fuss. Remember 3's premise:
Quality over quantity of features.

That's true. I'm glad that Lionhead took this swing in Fable 3. They had many features that weren't used from the players, many other features are still within the code of the game (uncompleted, of course).

At least, we can expect to have few, but good features. For example, the new start menu (Guild Chambers) is a very good feature, that gives a new feeling to the game. (though it sorta reminds me of Assassin's Creed 2, in various part. I bet someone within Lionhead took some ideas from there)

Another good feature, are the leveling systems over weapons and gauntlets. I think it's better that we can shape our own weapon and level it up, so nobody would run around with just the best weapon in-game. Everyone has their own best weapon in their game, which gives an unique shape to every player.

Knifeboy

Reaction score

Yea I really like the idea of having the opportunity of individuality without having to work harder than other players because you don't like the look of the best armour or sword. This is A huge step in any game for me as I like to have my characters look good without being obsolete.

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

DarkONI;413460 said:
Another good feature, are the leveling systems over weapons and gauntlets. I think it's better that we can shape our own weapon and level it up, so nobody would run around with just the best weapon in-game. Everyone has their own best weapon in their game, which gives an unique shape to every player.

Does the new weapon system mean that if you decide to get a new weapon say half way through the game, it will be weak because you haven't been using it all this time?

Recycled Human

Reaction score

I think it's more like : leveling a weapon up to five stars won't take you an entire game.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Blestb;413511 said:
Does the new weapon system mean that if you decide to get a new weapon say half way through the game, it will be weak because you haven't been using it all this time?

If you decide to take a weapon in the middle of the game you will have to start leveling it again from the start. Though, you would have two good weapons at your side afterwards.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

I'm only curious as to how it's going to work with the abilities, if fighting with a weapon unlocks abilities is that only if you have the current weapon equipped? And if not then this is the perfect reason for you to want to switch weapons - once you have all the abilities you'll be able to create a much better weapon thanks to your mastered abilities (reversals, chain attacks, aimed shots...)

StaticRaven

Reaction score

At least, we can expect to have few, but good features. For example, the new start menu (Guild Chambers) is a very good feature, that gives a new feeling to the game. (though it sorta reminds me of Assassin's Creed 2, in various part. I bet someone within Lionhead took some ideas from there)

Actually In lionhead's game black and white they had a sanctuary that had a map room, a creature room, a save room, and other various rooms of that nature. I think it is more based off of black and white than it is Assassin's creed.

I do like that they took armour rating because then i can have my character wear whatever i want it to with out worrying if it will be weak or not as far as armour goes.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

StaticRaven;413545 said:
Actually In lionhead's game black and white they had a sanctuary that had a map room, a creature room, a save room, and other various rooms of that nature. I think it is more based off of black and white than it is Assassin's creed.
Oh, I didn't know. Well, it reminded me of Assassin's Creed 2 villa, because the weapons, armor and things are exposed that way. Though, they have stuck with the ideas of Black & White. However, something tells me they got a part of the idea from other games too.

StaticRaven

Reaction score

I don't doubt that they used outside influences either

Reaction score

DarkONI;413628 said:
Oh, I didn't know. Well, it reminded me of Assassin's Creed 2 villa, because the weapons, armor and things are exposed that way. Though, they have stuck with the ideas of Black & White. However, something tells me they got a part of the idea from other games too.

Your not alone, I wouldn't dismiss the AC2 influence either. :) I agree it reminds Me a lot of that. No doubt that Black & White had an influence however.

POOP

Reaction score

I'm not too excited about the weapon morphing. It would be a thousand times cooler if we could choose to make it stop morphing once we were happy with how it looks, but instead it will always be changing.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

POOP;413669 said:
I'm not too excited about the weapon morphing. It would be a thousand times cooler if we could choose to make it stop morphing once we were happy with how it looks, but instead it will always be changing.

I don't understand this concept.

If a cutlass gets sharper and more angled and bigger and grows spikes of starts dripping blood why would it suddenly decide to change into a different weapon?

Wouldn't it just keep getting better? And wouldn't it be relatively controllable? I mean it's not going to sprout legs all of a sudden because you killed a Hobbe instead of an innocent villager...

Dark Prophit

The Horseman of Death
Premium
Reaction score

I personally am glad they took the armor ratings out, though i do wish they had better clothes in Fable 2, it would be awesome to have a cloak made out of chain-mail with iron shackles around their appendages like neck, feet, hands, giving that evil character a ominous sound to him entering a village. but nonetheless i am happy wearing a black dyed mistpeak outfit.

POOP

Reaction score

Recycled Human;413693 said:
I don't understand this concept.

If a cutlass gets sharper and more angled and bigger and grows spikes of starts dripping blood why would it suddenly decide to change into a different weapon?

Wouldn't it just keep getting better? And wouldn't it be relatively controllable? I mean it's not going to sprout legs all of a sudden because you killed a Hobbe instead of an innocent villager...
From what I've read, I meant that you will never get to stop a weapon from morphing. I don't think they will "suddenly" change ever. It's just that I would like to be able to stop a weapon from changing once I thought it looked cool enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.