• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable 3's armour system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recycled Human

Reaction score
Re: Fable 3's armour system.

Can you describe a situation where the weapon will not look cool enough?

If you like spikes for instance, on your hilt and you have 'little spikes' at first. Will you be upset when, as time goes by you suddenly develop bigger spikes? Will their be a time when said spikes will be 'too big'?

I just feel people are concerned with this system like their weapon is going to suddenly change from a katana into a broad sword, or worse from an axe to a dagger. It'll most likely be 'small' morphs that get better as you get further along.

SonofRaiden

Thread Killer/Necromancer
Reaction score

i think it will be like the evil/good bar. it will stop when it gets to a certain point, and can fluctiate from this blood-soaked tyfring to this dainty angelic rapier. also in the topic of armor. i would like something like a armor sleeve, like a platemail arm. and just think of the guns morphing. from like hellboy's gun to like a real gun from hell. black tempered steel. fires bullets with demonic runes on it. the bullets shatter and diperse on impact

POOP

Whatever floats your goat
Reaction score

Recycled Human;413748 said:
Can you describe a situation where the weapon will not look cool enough?

If you like spikes for instance, on your hilt and you have 'little spikes' at first. Will you be upset when, as time goes by you suddenly develop bigger spikes? Will their be a time when said spikes will be 'too big'?

I just feel people are concerned with this system like their weapon is going to suddenly change from a katana into a broad sword, or worse from an axe to a dagger. It'll most likely be 'small' morphs that get better as you get further along.
Well I don't know that much about how weapons will look when they "morph". But just to make it simple, I will pretend I want to get a sword with big spikes. That means that I can only kill things with that sword that will make it have big spikes. Anything else will change how it looks. I'd rather be able to kill a big of spike-making monster things or whatever then lock the weapon in that appearance or whatever so that I'll always have the weapon look that I want (until I want to change it).

Eventually there will be a time when I think "Alright, my sword looks ridiculously badass now, but I don't want to use it fighting these hobbes because that will ruin it's badassness." Then I will put that away and use a new sword. Eventually I'll run out of swords! And I won't use hammers.

I couldn't really care less about how my gun looks.

Also, weapons don't change types. An axe wouldn't turn into a dagger, and I don't think a katana would change into a broadsword. I think it's like "a katana can turn into a katana with bananas on the hilt if you kill bananas with it" or something along those lines.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

How do you know that the morph won't just add on instead of subtract. Say for instance killing innocents gave you spikes and killing balverines gave you a fur lined hilt, what if the sword instead just combined the two? You killed enough innocents to have spikes 'X' big and you started killing balverines now your fur hilt is brown to red to white with claws. (**** do I know)

POOP

Whatever floats your goat
Reaction score

I figure some will add on to each other. But there is still going to be a point where I think my weapon looks perfect (according to how I want it) and I won't want to change it anymore. 'Tis not a big deal, but it's just my preference.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

The inner min/maxer in me finds this concept foreign. I want biggest baddest strongest!!!

SonofRaiden

Reaction score

How do you know that the morph won't just add on instead of subtract. Say for instance killing innocents gave you spikes and killing balverines gave you a fur lined hilt, what if the sword instead just combined the two? You killed enough innocents to have spikes 'X' big and you started killing balverines now your fur hilt is brown to red to white with claws.
i have no clue how the weapon system would work. i wouldn't like spikes. maybe like a mist around the sword and it distracts your enemy and you go for the kill. the mist will change colorsbased on what it did

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score

they could put a 'freeze' on it, so that you can stop it morphing when you have it looking exactly how you want it.

Lithary

Reaction score

Arc Caster;413458 said:
Why? Everyone would wear the best armour if the difference was substantial, and if not they wouldn't care. It's just a lot of unnecessary fuss. Remember 3's premise:
Quality over quantity of features.

DarkONI;413460 said:
That's true. I'm glad that Lionhead took this swing in Fable 3. They had many features that weren't used from the players, many other features are still within the code of the game (uncompleted, of course).

At least, we can expect to have few, but good features. For example, the new start menu (Guild Chambers) is a very good feature, that gives a new feeling to the game. (though it sorta reminds me of Assassin's Creed 2, in various part. I bet someone within Lionhead took some ideas from there)

Another good feature, are the leveling systems over weapons and gauntlets. I think it's better that we can shape our own weapon and level it up, so nobody would run around with just the best weapon in-game. Everyone has their own best weapon in their game, which gives an unique shape to every player.

Why not having more good features than few good features?
Armour is great... I would never wear one, but I think that it is a great when game has it...
If you don't like it then don't wear it...
And they could just make morphing armors just like they made morphing weapons so no one would have the strongest armor, but everyone armor would be strong in his own way...
I simply see no reason why would anyone like to see armor removed unless you are an armor hater who can't stand armor in sight (and that will make you pretty narrow minded in my opinion)...

Recycled Human

Reaction score

Check out the video where they brough back disguises, They took armor ratings and defense and hit ratios away so your character could have fun and be creative and change his clothes. I loved that about fable 2 and I'll love that about fable 3 even more.

I generally had around five outfits per character, and the clothing really defined the character to me. I had my gunslinger with her colorful outfits, tight revealing clothes that provided free range of movement. I had my vampire with her dark clothing, mostly covered to protect her from the sun, then at night she'd lose the shades and her coat would ion up to reveal her sultry figure.

My point is all that is lost when suddenly I have to pick the 'best armor'.

As a side note they did include morphing clothes, like the chasm armor and knothole knight armor.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Lithary;413954 said:
Armour is great... I would never wear one, but I think that it is a great when game has it...
And they could just make morphing armors just like they made morphing weapons so no one would have the strongest armor, but everyone armor would be strong in his own way...
I simply see no reason why would anyone like to see armor removed unless you are an armor hater who can't stand armor in sight (and that will make you pretty narrow minded in my opinion)...

When you create a video game, any kind of a video game, you have two important things to keep on your mind: the money and the time. For example, your budget is enough to release a FPS game, though you have two years of development available.

Therefore, what you should do is create few, good features that the player will likely use and enjoy (rather than making a ton that the player won't even know the existence of them, because when the amount of features is high then the quality of the features is low)

When a designer makes a game, the designer has to think about the stability within the amount of features and the quality of the features. Many games have become "good" games because of their few but well developed features that make them to be what they are.

In Fable II, Lionhead added so many features that most of them weren't that important too. Players wouldn't either use them or the same features would have some bugs.

I'm glad, honestly that in Fable III they scrapped off everything that they didn't need and they focused on few good features that would be throughly developed within the time and the budget they have on the hand.

The armor status, adds a lot of calculations when it comes to damage dealt. Creating a complex armor system for basically something that most of people will simply ignore. For example, in Fable The Lost Chapters, we know the best armors are the plate ones. However, this doesn't stop us from wearing what we like more such as the Assassin Outfit.

People didn't care about armor, there was no need to add an armor stat on the clothes, people wanted to customize, have their own character with their own style around the world. Therefore it was removed.

We are talking about the Armor System or mechanic, that was present in Fable The Lost Chapters. Were the player was kinda forced to wear a certain clothing to avoid getting too much damage in the quest-line which ruins the freedom that Fable offers.

However, even when the armor stat has been removed from the game, armors (a few) will be back in Fable III for aesthetic and style reasons. To give the player more styles and combinations to choose from.

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score

For once, i agree with darkONI. i'm glad that they scrapped the armour system. when there was armour stats in the mix, it was too complicated. Fable 2 thinned this out to Toughness stats and weapon augments, and to an extent, where you sleep. much better. although, truth be told, i wouldnt mind armour just as clothing, like the knothole knight armour from knothole island dlc, it would add to creative freedom.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

For once? DarkONI is generally correct all the time. XD

Arc Caster

Sarcastic Slacker
Reaction score

Lithary;413954 said:

I think you misunderstood. We want armour, just not armour rating. Armour Rating, or AR, is basically:

Leather protects for 30, Plate for 70, Archons for 300.

So, if they still had armour ratings, Most people would be running around in Archon's Battle Armour. Get it? So, I do want armour, just not a a protection from it, so that way we get some truly unique heroes / Weapons.

Lithary

Reaction score

DarkONI;413977 said:
When you create a video game, any kind of a video game, you have two important things to keep on your mind: the money and the time. For example, your budget is enough to release a FPS game, though you have two years of development available.

Therefore, what you should do is create few, good features that the player will likely use and enjoy (rather than making a ton that the player won't even know the existence of them, because when the amount of features is high then the quality of the features is low)

When a designer makes a game, the designer has to think about the stability within the amount of features and the quality of the features. Many games have become "good" games because of their few but well developed features that make them to be what they are.

In Fable II, Lionhead added so many features that most of them weren't that important too. Players wouldn't either use them or the same features would have some bugs.

I'm glad, honestly that in Fable III they scrapped off everything that they didn't need and they focused on few good features that would be throughly developed within the time and the budget they have on the hand.

The armor status, adds a lot of calculations when it comes to damage dealt. Creating a complex armor system for basically something that most of people will simply ignore. For example, in Fable The Lost Chapters, we know the best armors are the plate ones. However, this doesn't stop us from wearing what we like more such as the Assassin Outfit.

People didn't care about armor, there was no need to add an armor stat on the clothes, people wanted to customize, have their own character with their own style around the world. Therefore it was removed.

We are talking about the Armor System or mechanic, that was present in Fable The Lost Chapters. Were the player was kinda forced to wear a certain clothing to avoid getting too much damage in the quest-line which ruins the freedom that Fable offers.

However, even when the armor stat has been removed from the game, armors (a few) will be back in Fable III for aesthetic and style reasons. To give the player more styles and combinations to choose from.

Well I can't criticize F2 since I haven't played it (Release F2 for PC already damn it! >.<), but I can say that there are other great games as TES and Diablo who have armor and I don't think that armor and damage calculations are that complicated...
Btw... having armor will only increase freedom of character creation, not reduce it...
I always make characters who wear clothes, but I am ready to accept the fact that I will take more damage and I don't see problem with that...

P.S. - I know they wont release F2 for PC...

Arc Caster

Sarcastic Slacker
Reaction score

Arc Caster;413992 said:
I think you misunderstood. We want armour, just not armour rating. Armour Rating, or AR, is basically:

Leather protects for 30, Plate for 70, Archons for 300.

So, if they still had armour ratings, Most people would be running around in Archon's Battle Armour. Get it? So, I do want armour, just not a a protection from it, so that way we get some truly unique heroes / Weapons.

Once Again, It's not armour, but the defense on it. To many people will be entirely uncreative.

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score

Recycled Human;413988 said:
For once? DarkONI is generally correct all the time. XD

not about my opinion. when talking about a fact or rumour or what is/isn't canon, i agree, darkONI seems to have an omniscient quality. however, on the topic of having the same opinion as me, our points of view seem to differ greatly. probably because we aren't the same person.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

joslen1;414012 said:
not about my opinion. when talking about a fact or rumour or what is/isn't canon, i agree, darkONI seems to have an omniscient quality. however, on the topic of having the same opinion as me, our points of view seem to differ greatly. probably because we aren't the same person.

Well you see, when you say 'for once I agree with...' normally people assume that means that you disagree with everything else that person says EXCEPT this one thing.

Regardless I was trying to be jovial with you, don't worry I won't make that mistake again. XD

SonofRaiden

Reaction score

i got lost. tell me where we are right now. i remeber fighting over the weapon system, and then it is about DarkONI being right all the time

Recycled Human

Reaction score

No argument here, I said I was joking in a friendly manner and that I wasn't going to make that mistake again. That's pretty much argument over.

Edited : Fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.