• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"FISHING" Explained....

Greywolf of FTZ

Reaction score
It took me a while to figure it out, because it's 'COUNTER-INTUITIVE', and this is why I say so:

We see a green line forming, and we think: "Well, THIS IS GOOD! Innit?"

But that just isn't so, and it threw me off a LOT when I was trying to collect the Blue Mushrooms for a certain quest. Here is what's really going on-

When the green line appears, you want to make it go away to the left, and I think a lot of people got confused by that, I certainly did. Tapping on the GREEN "A" button on an XBOX 360 will make the line go away to the left. If you were expecting the opposite to happen it will seem like it doesn't work.

In fact, if you are working the "A" button thinking that it will make the line turn green faster, I'm sure you will make it so... :D

"It's not DOING ANYTHING! Wha's wrong with the damn thing?"
Think in reverse.

You also need to be careful not to turn it red by avoiding tapping on it when you hear the sound of line being pulled out of the fishing rod. What THAT IS - it's the sound of the fish pulling out line against the drag setting!
"ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz..."

HOLDING IT DOWN does next to nothing, it is each individual tap on the button that counts for success!

*One of the things that was awfully confusing was that I thought the sound of line stripping off of the reel was the sound made by cranking the line IN. So I kept trying to make the "A" button "WORK" by pressing it until I heard the sound of the line going out (!) and saw the green line go further to the right :blink:

When first I tried this "Fishing" thing out, I thought I wanted to make the green line go all the way to the right - and when you do that, you find you have lost the fish (or whatever) which left me thinking:

"This has got to have something wrong with it..."

But the truth of it is that I was doing just precisely the opposite of what I was supposed to be doing. Inside-outly and backwards-frontly so to speak. But once I realized that the line had to be erased to the LEFT, I haven't missed but a handful of tries since!!!!

So it's not bugged - but 'tis the opposite of what you may expect it to work like and that (if you though more green line was the way to do it) can drive a person and their hero absolutely nuts.

In retrospect they should have colored the line RED, and get lighter in color as it got close to breaking. It would have been a lot less confusing, ya think?

I hope this straightens someone out, I wish I could have found it explained that directly about two days ago :)

GREEN IS NOT GOOD
~ and no, the "A" button isn't broken

SO! What you do is to tap once when a fish (or something else) is hooked, then tap as quickly as you can without turning the line red. Your goal is to erase the green line completely.

:unsure: "Wha's that silly man doing?"

"Dunno mate, but he's concentrating really hard at it." :cool:

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Thanks for the guide and for posting.

Greywolf of FTZ

Reaction score
Had I been paying more attention when I got to that point in the game I should've noticed the messages explaining it, but it was on a first play through and I was seriously bugging out about it.

I'm on a second play through now, and looking to take advantage of a lot that I noticed in the game on the first look at it.

Still - I expect a lot of people saw that go by without really reading it so it's good that it can be looked at in detail somewhere. It won't be saved in the notes (logbook) section of the game menus, so if you miss it 'tis just like that...

Roger

Reaction score
Idk if its just me or not but fishing in Fable Anniversary PC seems a lot harder than Fable TLC PC, it probably isn't but it just seems a lot different. Although my game does run extremely low fps on PC because it's such a demanding game.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Idk if its just me or not but fishing in Fable Anniversary PC seems a lot harder than Fable TLC PC, it probably isn't but it just seems a lot different. Although my game does run extremely low fps on PC because it's such a demanding game.

What specs do you have?

Minimum specs are pretty low:

• Processor: Intel 2GHz Core2 Duo / AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.4GHz.
  • Memory: 3 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: Radeon X1800/NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT.
  • DirectX: Version 9.0.
  • Hard Drive: 10 GB available space.

Roger

Reaction score
What specs do you have?

Minimum specs are pretty low:

• Processor: Intel 2GHz Core2 Duo / AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.4GHz.
  • Memory: 3 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: Radeon X1800/NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT.
  • DirectX: Version 9.0.
  • Hard Drive: 10 GB available space.

Hm, I'm running a AMD FX 4300 quad core cpu 4 gigs of ram a terrible graphics card i think it's a amd r5 radeon 200 or something and i'm on win10

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Hm, I'm running a AMD FX 4300 quad core cpu 4 gigs of ram a terrible graphics card i think it's a amd r5 radeon 200 or something and i'm on win10

Might be worth putting some new parts/new rig on Christmas list to help you get into modding properly as some can be resource hogs.

Roger

Reaction score
Might be worth putting some new parts/new rig on Christmas list to help you get into modding properly as some can be resource hogs.

Yeah for sure, I should actually be getting some new parts soon. Getting a nvidia gtx 280 or 285 or a 580, whichever i can afford. Probably upgrading to a fx 6300 soon i think that's what its called. My pc already runs tlc great though.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Yeah for sure, I should actually be getting some new parts soon. Getting a nvidia gtx 280 or 285 or a 580, whichever i can afford. Probably upgrading to a fx 6300 soon i think that's what its called. My pc already runs tlc great though.

Any other titles you are looking to play on it or get into modding for?

Roger

Reaction score
Any other titles you are looking to play on it or get into modding for?
Idk I'm having the most of fun with modding fable rn, I'm a little interested in Skyrim cause i did play with skyrim mods a lot a few years ago on pc.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Idk I'm having the most of fun with modding fable rn, I'm a little interested in Skyrim cause i did play with skyrim mods a lot a few years ago on pc.

Skyrim has a huge modding community and loads of resources available for it, so one of the easiest to get into. With Remaster coming too and it being free for people who own game and all DLC on PC more modding possibilities will be opened up too.

Roger

Reaction score
Skyrim has a huge modding community and loads of resources available for it, so one of the easiest to get into. With Remaster coming too and it being free for people who own game and all DLC on PC more modding possibilities will be opened up too.

yeah skyrim modding is crazy, honestly though i really prefer fable modding it's just amazing to see this game i played when i was 4 being changed in somany ways with these amazing retextures and weapon mods and region merging all of it is so fascinating

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
yeah skyrim modding is crazy, honestly though i really prefer fable modding it's just amazing to see this game i played when i was 4 being changed in somany ways with these amazing retextures and weapon mods and region merging all of it is so fascinating

Just a shame Lionhead didn't release the modding tools themselves and we had to rely on fan made tools.

Roger

Reaction score
Just a shame Lionhead didn't release the modding tools themselves and we had to rely on fan made tools.

Yeah, modding could have gone so much further with fable if they made the tools. These tools are still great but they're limiting since fable is such and old and limiting game itself. Also a very sensitive game so modding it can't be taken too far. I still enjoy it so much though lol.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Yeah, modding could have gone so much further with fable if they made the tools. These tools are still great but they're limiting since fable is such and old and limiting game itself. Also a very sensitive game so modding it can't be taken too far. I still enjoy it so much though lol.

Well im glad you are enjoying it and helps bring us some content to talk about here too, despite it being many years since game first launched.

Roger

Reaction score
Well im glad you are enjoying it and helps bring us some content to talk about here too, despite it being many years since game first launched.
Yeah i have a lot of ideas in mind for Fable mods so expect to see a lot from me :p hopefully! lol

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Yeah i have a lot of ideas in mind for Fable mods so expect to see a lot from me :p hopefully! lol

Look forward to seeing what you can do and watching your progression.

Roger

Reaction score
Look forward to seeing what you can do and watching your progression.

My gaming pc's hdd is shot, just dead. The funny thing is i'm getting my money for my gtx 280 and a powersupply tmrw but i wont have the money for a new hdd :/

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
My gaming pc's hdd is shot, just dead. The funny thing is i'm getting my money for my gtx 280 and a powersupply tmrw but i wont have the money for a new hdd :/

New standard HD's are dirt cheap unless you go down the SSD route. I have 3 standard HD's and 1 SSD in my rig at moment and looking to buy another SSD for it too.