• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Good things in Fable 3 (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score
Ok. I get it. Fable 3 has flaws. Big steaming piles of them. But I'm fed up of every other thread being about something bad about it. So, here, in the Zen-like sanctity of this thread, only good points (or what you think are good points) can be debated upon. I'll start off.

Don't ya just love the Gnomes? They're like the Gargoyles, except cuter and more insulting. Whoever had the idea is a genius!

Bluedrake

Reaction score
It's minor, but I liked the way they handled the jobs this time around. The choice of jobs was interesting too. I really liked the animation of the pie-making job. Especially the sound the dough made when you slapped it on the counter. It was... satisfying for some reason (I'm weird, I know. :blush:)

The main NPCs felt alive and three-dimensional, a nice improvement. The did a really good job with Walter. He's supposed to be a surrogate father, and I ended up really caring about him.

The clothing options, while limited, look pretty good. I especially liked the magic outfit from Aurora. It looks elegant yet scruffy at the same time. A nice touch.

I liked seing all my money in a huge pile in the sanctuary. It puts my wealth into perspective. I really really liked that.

The pawnbrokers had a limited amount of money, which added a nice touch of realism. They also had enough money to buy most of your stuff off of you, so it never became a problem of the shop running out of gold. They also had more money if the economy was high, another nice touch.

I liked the city of Aurora a lot. The atmosphere was just very pleasant. The market place, the food items that are different from the rest of the world (lizards on a stick FTW!) I enjoyed doing jobs in that town. The blacksmith's voice was soft and throaty as opposed to nasal like the guy in Bowerstone (when you do the blacksmithing job).

The battle music. The first time I was attacked by a pack of wolves in Mistpeak Valley the music switched to a really kickass piece. Very good to get the adrenaline pumping.

SPOILERS

The Crawler's voice. I could listen to that thing speak for hours. I especially liked his laugh. I don't know who did that voice, but he did a tremendous job.

So yeah, I'm very sensitive to sound, if you haven't figured that out by now.

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score
I love the crawler
The Crawler said:
Tainted. The stain will never wash out. Tainted, broken little toys.
That quote sends shivers down my spine every time.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I found I was actually torn over some of my decisions this time around...that's not happened to me before and I was surprised I gave a crap about certain things.

Aruu

Reaction score
Great idea for a thread!

Okay, so what did I love about Fable III? Highlight to read spoilers~

I love the locations, I think they're absolutely stunning, and just as beautiful as they were back in Fable II. The view over Mistpeaks Valley blew me away the first time I saw it coming out of the Dweller's Camp, I had to stand there and rotate the camera for a few minutes because it was just that pretty. The snow effect was really well done, and looked even more beautiful when it actually did snow.

I think they did a really good job at adding character to places as well. Again, the Dweller's Camp, one of the first people you pass is a little girl wanting to trade her doll for food. You can see that everyone is shuffling around, starving, pleading with you for food, money, anything when you pass. The sombre music in the background really adds to it, from the get go I was just so compelled to help these people.

Aurora was similarly stunning, they went to a lot of work to make it different from Albion, and it was such a shame we didn't have more to do there. The desert was really well done, as were the people, I loved how unique they looked and spoke. Like someone else mentioned, even the blacksmith had a different voice, a nicer one at that. The clothing was beautiful too, I wish we only had the option to buy some outfits for our hero.

Oh and Bowerstone Industrial had to be my favourite place. It started out so grim and depressing, with mist rolling in from the open harbour, with factories cluttering up the horizon and nasty narrow little townhouses cramped in together. If you made the right choices, it was really nice to see how it changed, how the orphanage got fixed, and how the factory got converted. It would have been nice to convert it further, but I still loved the end result.

The characters were really engaging too, I only wish we had more time with them. I mean Walter, Walter was amazing. Right from the get go you knew he was the guy you could trust, and he was there with you for the entire journey. He was such a strong, compelling character that you knew the hero was just so attached to because their relationship was shown so perfectly through their interactions. That's what made it so horrific when (spoilers, highlight to read) poor Walter got attacked by the Crawler for the first time, and he was just so scared and for once he needed you, and yet he was still so ashamed of that. Those few scenes were handled amazingly, both by the voice actors and the writers.

They made Walter so likeable, it was made all the more (spoilers: highlight to read) when he was posessed by the Crawler at the very last minute, and you had to fight him. Then he dies in your hero's arms, his last few words lamenting that he's going to a lighter place, and that he was just so proud of your hero. Really tear jerking scene, especially when Ben comes along and touches your shoulder. (end spoilers)

Ben, Ben Finn was amazing, and not just because he was voiced by the amazingly talented Simon Pegg. Funny and well meaning, Ben was someone who just got more appealing the more you got to know about him. It was great to have a comic relief character who wasn't hideously out of place, he fit in so well with everyone else, and was just as brilliant being serious when he wasn't playing for laughs. Reading about his backstory was even better, still with that dark twist of humour, but with a sincerity that really suited his character.

I only wish we got more of Ben, or at least a chance to hook up with him.

And Page, I was so disappointed that we didn't get to see more of Page! She was the bad ass female that we needed, smart, cunning, proud and ready to stand up for those who needed her help. She was clearly notorious enough to have her wanted poster plastered up all over the place, but we didn't get to see enough of the reason why. I would have loved another quest with her to liberate the workers from Reaver's grip, she was just such a great character!

I wouldn't say no to hooking up with her either.

And this is getting long so I'll post more later.

Reaction score
I loved the large open envrioments, Mistpeak, Shifting Sands, Driftwood (kinda), wish there were more :blink:.

The inside of EVERY demon door in the game is EPIC, i was blown away by some in fact......

A minor thing but its a huge deal to me!, how there were soo many tributes to origional Fable characters, Scythe's Warhammer, Jack's Hammer, Thunderblade, i almost cryed when i saw them ^_^

Spellweaving, simply awsome.

Gnome's are the best!!!

The sidequests are awsome, the best of the Fable games so far.

Personally i love the touch system, you can really connect with people! :cool:

Aurora is awsome, just wish there was more! (DLC?! ^_^)

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
I can't believe no one has said it yet. The Finishers, guys, the Finishers! They make combat so much more enjoyable and stylish without making battles particularly easy or forcing players to rely on an excess of practiced skill the way Reversals did. I spent so much time perfecting my timing and studying enemy behaviors so that I could Reverse them as reliably as possible in Fable II (Only enemies with weapons could be Reversed, excluding armed villagers and Spire Soldiers. Which basically narrowed the list down to Bandits, Town Guards, Spire Guards, and Hobbes. Highwaymen had to be reversed twice in a row.) When I discovered that Reversals were gone, I groused and ranted bitterly, certain that the battle system had been changed for the worse. Now I realize that this tweaked melee combat system (and the gun flourishes didn't hurt either) is actually much improved because of its simplicity and accessibility.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Ah, the finishers left me wide open to attack! but that's because I'm crap :lol: But I like how I don't have to collect orbs to level up - I hated being vulnerable like that when I also knew I was close to dying and losing them all - it's also nice how you get golden orbs just for walking up to people who have recently changed their opinion of you. I ran into everyone in Brightwall and managed to get 5 guild seals out of it which is equivalent to doing a minor side quest, so I was chuffed with that :D

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
Finishers left you open to attack? But... the enemies don't attack you while you're performing them? At least, they've never done that to me, and I've played through the game almost four times now.

Reaction score
It's minor, but I liked the way they handled the jobs this time around. The choice of jobs was interesting too. I really liked the animation of the pie-making job. Especially the sound the dough made when you slapped it on the counter. It was... satisfying for some reason (I'm weird, I know. :blush:)

I like the dough slapping on the counter too, guess we're both weird.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I got attacked during the few moments when the finisher had ended but the slowing down bit hadn't. And because I am shocking at all games that have ever been created, I usually perform a finisher whilst I am on my last legs...

Aruu

Reaction score
I have to admit, the finishers were pretty epic. The first time my hero shot someone, threw her gun over the enemy, jumped over the enemy herself, then caught it the moment he turned to look at her, just to shoot him in the face? EPIC.

Also the other day, she rammed her gun into a Hollowman's skull and shot him. :D Now that was awesome.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
Even if the game is still in the 'slow-down' state and the camera is all wonky, you can still block and/or roll around right after performing a Finisher.

Cain30k

Rock'n loud n hard 4ever!
Reaction score
YES! I love the finishers in this game. The first one i saw was the one were your char jumps on to a mercs head and staps their neck with his/her knees, I was like holy **** they did not just do that lol. My favorite one so far though is when my char punts a hobbe :lol:

Another thing I like is the lvling up of weapons so to speak. It gives me something to do when I don't feel like running quests or advancing the main story yet.

And yes the clothing, granted they are few, are pretty good. I like making my guy look like a badass swashbuckler.^_^

Drew2686

Nap time is before pants time.
Reaction score
The voice acting and scripts. All of it is awesome (and it covers a vast amount of the game as well :thumbsup:).

The finishing moves in combat. I've seen many different and have yet to see more apparently. So awesome.

The jobs. How you do them is more enjoyable, and the pie-making sounds are just all perfect, from moving the dishes to thumping the dough. And it's hilarious when you fail, it's like a muscle twitch and bwaa it goes everywhere.

The weapons. They look sexy (well except for stupid bone, good thing I don't have many of those).

The lands. All bigger, more varied, different weathers, etc etc. Plus water is still super clear and blue...it's like at Crater Lake.

The clothes. What is there looks classy and awesome.

In fact I actually have very few complaints at all...

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score
My fave finisher, you do with the sand furies. You drop your weapon, and, as the fury flips over you, you grab its horns, and snap it's neck!

Anyway, love the variety of weapon customisations. It's almost a pity that you can't trade hero weapons, because there have been some really nice weapons on this forum.

Reaction score
The first one i saw was the one were your char jumps on to a mercs head and staps their neck with his/her knees, I was like holy s*** they did not just do that lol.

TRULY TRULY EPIC. I am not big on profanity, but I do believe I yelled "HOLY ****!" . lol.

Reaction score
STORYLINE. It was exceptionally better than II. Granted the last "battle" wasn't that hard...it was still more of a battle than in II. Darkness Incarnate? Um creepy as hell and made for an awesome story. (however it reminded me of "The Nothing" in Never Ending Story. lol). The decisions you have to make in the story were also just... hard sometimes. I mean come on, kill my sweet boyfriend or two innocent people? Are you serious? I found my self getting stressed out when I was trying to decide whether or not to keep my promises to my allies, too. The fact that it had me ripping my hair out, to me, meant good play on story-line.

I loooved the spellweaving feature. It was interesting and fun to play around to see which one fits your play style better. I love Vortex/blades.

It was weird getting used to the start button taking me to the Sanctuary, and I did not like it at all at first. But as the game progressed, I ended up loving it. It made it more... tangible? I think that is the best word for me to describe what I mean. lol. And Jasper? Yes please. He reminds me of my beloved grandpa, and added personality to the pause menu :)

When Walter yelled this in the cave I about died of laughter. My husband and I now yell that across the house :)

Recycled Human

Reaction score
Great idea for a topic.

Elise, Finally a romantic partner some reality. Some of her dialogue hints at the hero's past and really makes you feel connected. Instead of dating a carbon copy who just seemed to get more and more predictable, I felt genuinely interested to visit with her. It doen't hurt that she's a little adventurous and has great voice acting.

Am I the only one who liked Sabine, or did I just skip someone mentioning it. Seriously though, epic old man!

Does anyone else experience a dramatic slowdown when you become king/queen and hold your significant others hand? It's very noble to slowly walk hand in hand with Elise as I make my way to the throne room to pass down kingly judgement.

Children! I loved picking up my kid or tickling them, and on the evil side, nothing is more satisfying then walking into a factory and laughing in a sobbing Childs face.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Hold up - is Elsie still around at the end of the game? I never saw her again...

Status
Not open for further replies.