• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Guns.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
I'm sure you've all heard about what happened at a Conneticut elementary school a short while ago.

If you live under a rock, here.

If you don't keep up with the news concerning the United States (and I don't expect you to, it's just that a lot of people around the world do), this horrific incident has sparked two things.

1. Debate has sparked, ignited, and blazed over our second amendment. Again, I don't expect you to know off-hand what that is. It's the portion of the United States Constitution that allows us the right to own firearms. There is a lot of talk right now over what Obama will do. Most of what's being said hints that he wants to further restrict firearms, either by restricting clip sizes or reinstating the assault weapons ban that expired a little more than 6 years ago.

2. People are buying guns like crazy over here. The industry has experienced an incredible boom. Since most guns sold here are manufactured here, all the people who both (A) hated Obamas economic policies and (B) are afraid of the government having any power over their lives at all can stick it to pro-gun control legislation and stimulate the US economy all in one fell swoop.

What are your thoughts?

My opinion below. Feel free to tl;dr
I personally live in an area with a fair number of conservatives, tea-partyists, conspiracy theorists, etc. I also work at a hardware store and often encounter the do-it-yourselfers who you would stereotype to be buying oodles of guns right now, and a lot of them are. It's terrifying.

I'm personally pretty neutral on the subject. I don't think banning semi-automatic weapons or restricting clip sizes makes sense. A crazy person can still bring an extra clip and, as long as the weapon is semi-automatic, it has the same potential rate of fire as a handgun, more or less so such laws are pointless.

Furthermore, the second amendment only guarantees a US citizen the uninhibited right to own firearms. An american's right to own firearms isn't even being discussed here, it's just a matter of which firearms those who support gun control are particularly uncomfortable about. If you apply a logic test to the second amendment, you can see that the constitution is not violated by an assault weapons ban or anything of the like. People still have every right to purchase legally sanctioned firearms, in addition to what they already legally own. A lot of people near where I live treat a law such as this like the end of the world. They think the federal government will go ban-happy until there are no guns left for purchase. FYI this would still not contradict the cut-and-dry interpretation of the amendment, since guns legally purchased can always be legally owned. They can also be inherited, though a gun-hating president could stick a tire-iron in this by making all guns of a deceased person the property of the United States government, but that sort of thing could never be actively enforced.

So there you have my reasoning for why both sides are correct. My indecisiveness goes even further because no law that could ever be passed would take away the massive amount of guns that are already owned by US citizens. Even if the purchase of all firearms was banned (still not violating people right to own firearms, by the way), there are enough guns already purchased legally to overthrow 12 US governments and organize against an invading nation, which is the underlying purpose to the amendment. Not to stockpile an illogical number of guns in your basement. In the end, I oppose legislation because it would be pointless at this point for the reasons in this paragraph. Waste of time and tax dollars.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
I hate guns and it kills me that they are in fact a necessary evil in society.

On that note, imposing further restrictions will accomplish nothing. Of this, I am certain. Those who use guns for the sole purpose of harming others have more often than not already been obtained illegally.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
If you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. This is a hard topic and I don't know if there is a right answer.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I honestly wasn't going to respond to this just because of how mind-numbingly repetitive the topic has proven to become over the decades (kinda like religion).

I don't like guns, never have, never will. More so with the increasing numbers of irresponsible owners. But slapping a higher restriction or banishment law on something doesn't make it "disappear" nor provide real control, the world doesn't work that way. Murder and certain drugs are illegal, yet they happen everyday to the point you'd think they were legal. There's always another way to acquire or achieve something in this world and there's little that big brother can do about it. Everything is fair game as long as you don't get caught.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
I laugh at the times when I've asked my american friends about your gun laws, and how its like over there..

Its bloody ridiculous how they own a gun in their house, their cars or even on them. Its a joke.

Why do you need to own a gun?
So you can protect yourself
Protect yourself from people with guns?
Yes
And how do you protect yourself?
With guns.

Clever

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
To emphasize on what Gikoku said where there is a demand the supply will always be met. Especially since America sells guns to the world it'd be ridiculous to be the only ones who can't own one.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
That's why you have police and other officials to carry guns. To protect the civilian population. But no, that won't work in 'merkuh due to your irrational fear of your own government. You don't want only police to carry guns cause you want the ability to rise up against your government or something like that?

The whole things sounds sketchy to me. What are bunch of hicks gonna do against the army anyway?

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
That's why you have police and other officials to carry guns. To protect the civilian population. But no, that won't work in 'merkuh due to your irrational fear of your own government. You don't want only police to carry guns cause you want the ability to rise up against your government or something like that?

The whole things sounds sketchy to me. What are bunch of hicks gonna do against the army anyway?

They will make this!

Haha.. rednecks, classic.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Man I hate rednecks

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
If you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns.

This is a big reason why I'm a pro-gun guy. Guns are like drugs. Whether they're legal or illegal, people will get them (mainly referencing criminals here), and I'd rather be in a situation where I have the ability to to get a gun myself for protection. I wouldn't walk around with it or anything, but if someone's breaking into my house in the middle of the night, I'd like to be able to have a weapon in my closet or under my bed.

I'd also like to reference Switzerland here. Switzerland has some of the most pro-gun firearm laws in the world, and their crime rates are quite low. If I'm remembering correctly, firearm owning citizens are even legally required to attend annual firearm training.

I don't know what Swedish police are like, but they must not be like American police. One of my best friends once had a gun pulled on him by a police officer just for sitting in a car in a parking lot with his girlfriend and some other person late at night. It turned out that the police officer was actually a friend of his family, and he didn't even lower his gun once he saw my friend getting out of the car. I've never had a good experience with law enforcement, nor can I even think of someone I know having a good experience with law enforcement off the top of my head. I'm not saying that having a firearm in any of those situations would have been helpful. That's not the point I'm making. My point is that we don't want guns because of an irrational fear of the government (well, maybe some hicks on the outskirts of society do); some of us want guns because of a rational distrust in law enforcement. I wouldn't trust them to do all of the gun wielding for me.

And about the ability to rise up against the government, yes, I would like to have that ability. Realistically, I don't really know how likely some kind of societal or economic collapse is, but the most powerful nation in the history of the world having the largest debt in the history of the world doesn't sound very stable or sustainable to me. If sh*t goes down, if martial law is declared, if we end up in some military dictatorship (extreme and seemingly unlikely, I know), I'd rather we be safe than sorry.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
Necro, will you marry me?

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry, m'lad, me heart be for another.

/irishaccent

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Well, every good dictatorship requires a thriving national industry and we're pretty far away from one of those, aren't we? :troll: