• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Height maps and Scripts

LilBud710

Hood
Reaction score
I need to be able to get the height maps in any picture format to edit and make it a new mesh in 3ds max to fable .x format. I'm pretty sure this can't be done? But may be possible with enough digging into the files, possibly the stb but I don't think so. What I really would like to know is where the M_ and MK_ scripts are located, I want to be able to link new scripts and cutscene scripts to markers. I've taken a look at some already done markers in multiple places, no evidence that any of them actually trigger the cutscenes. Unless they are triggered through the "MK" script. Help would be very appreciated thanks! Also, does anyone know what these M_ MK_ scripts stand for?? That would be very useful to know.
4R2hQGw.png

VinDiesel

Living Necromonger
Reaction score
M and MK just designates markers. How stuff uses the markers is determined mostly in the binaries, especially script.bin (go through the cutscenes data and you'll see them get called a lot).

Some very specific scripts and binary data cooperates with hardcoded stuff in the executable that I wouldn't recommend ****ing with, these will mostly be the quest-specific things.

Because of how cutscenes are called by the Fable executable, you cannot produce new cutscenes. You can fully edit existing ones though.

As for heightmaps, that's a tricky one. It's totally possible to rip the cell heights from the heightmaps. I'd recommend making a program unless you intend to manually do it for each map. The values must be multiplied by 2048 to give true Z values. From there assign a range of colors to the values and you then have a color-coded representation of height in Albion. Again, I recommend making a tool.

Unless you mean the meshes. In that case I'd say screw that jazz, get a DirectX ripper, load each region in-game and rip the landscape models that way. Might be easier either way. Would recommend using a mod that consolidates all connected maps into single regions.

LilBud710

Hood
Reaction score
M and MK just designates markers. How stuff uses the markers is determined mostly in the binaries, especially script.bin (go through the cutscenes data and you'll see them get called a lot).

Some very specific scripts and binary data cooperates with hardcoded stuff in the executable that I wouldn't recommend ****ing with, these will mostly be the quest-specific things.

Because of how cutscenes are called by the Fable executable, you cannot produce new cutscenes. You can fully edit existing ones though.

As for heightmaps, that's a tricky one. It's totally possible to rip the cell heights from the heightmaps. I'd recommend making a program unless you intend to manually do it for each map. The values must be multiplied by 2048 to give true Z values. From there assign a range of colors to the values and you then have a color-coded representation of height in Albion. Again, I recommend making a tool.

Unless you mean the meshes. In that case I'd say screw that jazz, get a DirectX ripper, load each region in-game and rip the landscape models that way. Might be easier either way. Would recommend using a mod that consolidates all connected maps into single regions.

Thanks a ton for all the info :)