• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Heroic schizophrenia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluedrake

Reaction score
For those who have played as an evil character, have you noticed how the opening doesn't make sense when you make the bad choices?

I chose to abuse the staff, insult the petiotionner, but suddenly the hero is outraged by the thought of Logan killing off villagers. Then he is mad over having to choose who to have executed. Errm... hello? I was a selfish, callous monster a moment ago, but now I show concern for the general populace? How does that work? Railroading much? This game kept pushing me towards the good path, if just to make the story coherent.

Maybe it's because both the hero of Oakvale and Bowestone married lady Grey... Inbreeding is catching up to us!

Recycled Human

Reaction score
Just pretend the hero is being childish. Not mad about the villagers but rather upset that Logan embarrassed him/her. Or make this the turning point like 'i was just kidding before but this shix just got real'.

Bluedrake

Reaction score
Just pretend the hero is being childish. Not mad about the villagers but rather upset that Logan embarrassed him/her. Or make this the turning point like 'i was just kidding before but this shix just got real'.

Yeah... I was referring to the "I won't let you do this. You can't kill those people" bit. It just seems to clash with the behavior I chose.

Recycled Human

Reaction score
For that one 'i was only saying it so I could look cool in front of Elise/elliot' or 'I only want the crown, if I have to lie to get it then so be it.' / shrug

I know the game forces your hand a bit.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
The biggest problem is that the story is tailored for a good Hero. Liberating the land from an tyrant and all that. You actually have to go out on a limb and make damn sure you act evil; if you just go along with the story you're doing good.

TheDarkCynder

Reaction score
It's because your crush told you to save them. You love them, in the game, so love told you to listen.

enactment11

Chicken Rebel
Reaction score
Maybe it's because you never really faced death in the face before?

Reaction score
When I first glanced at the title of this thread I thought it read: Hemroid Schizophrenia.

Anyways back on topic.

I'd say the reason the hero is still shocked is because every other evil thing He/She did was petty, e.g insulting the staff/petitioner. Not quite the same rush You get when You get forced to decide on peoples lives I guess.

Mr.Natas

Sdrawkcab eman ym lleps
Reaction score
I always thought it was funny that your followers (if you where evil) said things like "You no better then logan" and "I can't believe you're doing this." And in the back of my mind I'm thinking "When did I say I was better then Logon?"

Bluedrake

Reaction score
When I first glanced at the title of this thread I thought it read: Hemroid Schizophrenia.

Anyways back on topic.

I'd say the reason the hero is still shocked is because every other evil thing He/She did was petty, e.g insulting the staff/petitioner. Not quite the same rush You get when You get forced to decide on peoples lives I guess.

I know what you mean, but I still found it a little jarring. Hemroid schizophrenia...:lol:

Rudimentree

Reaction score
See, this kind of thing is why i preferred the silent hero. If they don't say anything, you can imagine their response to be whatever you want. In Fable 1 if you're playing an evil character but still have to do mainquest good guy type stuff like protecting the people through Darkwood, you can pretend that the whole time your hero is silently grumbling to himself, mourning his inability to knock their whiny heads together and watch them roll.

Voiced protagonists railroad you into a set path, unless they have multiple dialogue options - such as in Mass Effect. I'm not saying LH has to keep the hero silent to make a good game, just that seeing as their entire premise is CHOICE CHOICE CHOICE, they really ought to be giving the player a bit more of it.

BatusBrad

Reaction score
You have to act in a very Split-person manner to do all the quests in one playthrough, too. Sort of 'enforced replayability', I guess.

LH bang on about choice, but many of the choices you may make seem out of context at the time and clash with the flow of the story.

DiamondFlair

Reaction score
All games have to railroad you to a certain extent. If you play manically evil from the start, it doesnt really make sense that you ever managed to overthrow Logan because people wouldn't want you to replace him if you kill villagers on whim. Logan is bad, but he doesnt go on merry killing spree slaughtering all he sees.

I think you are free to play the character how you like within reason. You have to start with the hero as a pure-hearted idealist, and then either have him continue that throughout or have him slip from his path due to the pressure or strains or temptations. From that point of few, it does work generally [although the male reaction at the end of the game is certain pretty off if you evil. You might still be upset, but not to that extend and you certainly wouldnt make it as visable.

atlantiantokra

Reaction score
If you play manically evil from the start, it doesnt really make sense that you ever managed to overthrow Logan because people wouldn't want you to replace him if you kill villagers on whim.
unless they're too scared to go against you

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
The hero isn't a schizo.

I think the game is actually not composed of a Jedi/Sith selection of choices and is closer to a Jade Empire selection of choices. In Fable III your goal is always to be the "good guy" and save the Kingdom, but what matters is the philosophy behind your decisions. The way of the open palm or the way of the closed fist. Closed fist isn't 'evil' per say, it's just a more brutal and pragmatic outlook on life. Someone who follows the way of the closed fist believes that weak people exist purely to serve the strong. The 'strong' implies anyone who is physically impressive, highly intelligent, or skilled at a craft. While the weak are the stupid, the lazy, and the sickly. Basically, the 'strong' means anyone who is a worthwhile and productive person. According to this philosophy: weak people aren't worth saving or helping (at least not without substantial reward or compensation.)
I think it's the closed fist philosophy that drives the 'evil' hero in Fable III. He's not necessarily a bad person, and he ultimately wants to save the people of Albion (unless you choose not to save it), but because everyone is so much weaker than he is, he doesn't value them very highly. He's saving the kingdom for the sake of the kingdom, not for its people and their petty individual needs. With the possible exception of close friends such as Walter, the 'evil' hero just doesn't care about the common rabble.

enactment11

Chicken Rebel
Reaction score
Was thinking that too Shadowfiend. It's like causing chaos to overthrow logan and slipping into temptation etc.

SonofRaiden

Thread Killer/Necromancer
Reaction score
For that one 'i was only saying it so I could look cool in front of Elise/elliot' or 'I only want the crown, if I have to lie to get it then so be it.' / shrug

I know the game forces your hand a bit.

a bit off topic, but welcome back

Zangash

Reaction score
The hero isn't a schizo.

I think the game is actually not composed of a Jedi/Sith selection of choices and is closer to a Jade Empire selection of choices. In Fable III your goal is always to be the "good guy" and save the Kingdom, but what matters is the philosophy behind your decisions. The way of the open palm or the way of the closed fist. Closed fist isn't 'evil' per say, it's just a more brutal and pragmatic outlook on life. Someone who follows the way of the closed fist believes that weak people exist purely to serve the strong. The 'strong' implies anyone who is physically impressive, highly intelligent, or skilled at a craft. While the weak are the stupid, the lazy, and the sickly. Basically, the 'strong' means anyone who is a worthwhile and productive person. According to this philosophy: weak people aren't worth saving or helping (at least not without substantial reward or compensation.)
I think it's the closed fist philosophy that drives the 'evil' hero in Fable III. He's not necessarily a bad person, and he ultimately wants to save the people of Albion (unless you choose not to save it), but because everyone is so much weaker than he is, he doesn't value them very highly. He's saving the kingdom for the sake of the kingdom, not for its people and their petty individual needs. With the possible exception of close friends such as Walter, the 'evil' hero just doesn't care about the common rabble.

The problem with that is I go from town to town, massacring everyone in sight, weak or strong, for hours on end. I got all 100 of the Guild seals I needed to gain the support of Bowerstone by murder, only for Page to tell me I'm a decent person and nothing like (in a good way) my brother, and that people are starting to believe in me. ~_~

Rudimentree

Reaction score
The problem with that is I go from town to town, massacring everyone in sight, weak or strong, for hours on end. I got all 100 of the Guild seals I needed to gain the support of Bowerstone by murder, only for Page to tell me I'm a decent person and nothing like (in a good way) my brother, and that people are starting to believe in me. ~_~
Hlkjfdsoidsfj Oh gosh, still laughing. Wow, yeah, that is a major problem on LH's part. How hard would it have been to add a second dialogue option for Paige depending on your morality? Also I think I need to start an evil playthrough now because DAY-UM. Too hilarious to pass up

Zangash

Reaction score
Hlkjfdsoidsfj Oh gosh, still laughing. Wow, yeah, that is a major problem on LH's part. How hard would it have been to add a second dialogue option for Paige depending on your morality? Also I think I need to start an evil playthrough now because DAY-UM. Too hilarious to pass up

You should try it. Adds a LOT of lol moments. Especially with Reaver, but probably because I was screaming "YOU'VE GOT IT ALL WRONG! I'M YOUR FRIEND!" at my T.V when I was in his mansion...

Status
Not open for further replies.