• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How did you get into gaming?

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I've been playing games ever since I was a kid, but it didn't start until around 1988. My aunt used to be a big gamer back then so she had all of the consoles that came out and I would often visit her and we'd play the NES and Master System together. Eventually it got to the point where I wanted to have my own console, especially since all of my friends had one or more of their own already. I finally got my hands on a Sega Genesis for Christmas in '89 and the rest after that is history.

What about you guys, how did you all get into it?

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
My mother was rather involved with computers in the 80's and the 90's. I guess it's in my blood somehow. My very first games were Amiga Commodore's video games and some early desktop environments starting in 1995. Later I moved over consoles when I bought the PSX in 1999 and I got Metal Gear Solid as a gift from my aunt.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
My pa got me a NES one magical day in the mid-late 90's and the rest is history.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
First 'console' I played on didnt have a controller just knobs and switches and variations of pong on it. Then my dad got me an Atari with space invaders and tank pong. Then after that had an Amiga (Commodore) and started to play games like Cannon Fodder, SimCity, Chaos Engine, Golden Axe, North and South, Sim Ant, Another World, Prince of Persia, Settlers and Flashback to name but a few. It was the Amiga that got me properly into gaming and I still played it more than my Playstation for many years.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
My brother and sister were given a 2nd hand Sega Master System II as a gift, and I would play that with them when I got a little older. Favourite game: The Lion King. Then my brother got an N64 for christmas, and I played that a lot, mostly the two Legend of Zelda games, as you do. And I would regularly play Crash Bandicoot on my uncle's Playstation. But I didn't really become a gamer until I got a PSX for my birthday, with Tomb Raider: Revelations, and I've been an avid gamer ever since.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Grew up with in basically. Dad's worked in IT since the late 80s, and he's been a pretty avid gamer since probably before then. We always had games consoles/computers in my house so I just picked it up naturally. And even though some of my earliest memories are of playing games on the Commodore 64 and Amiga, it still doesn't make me any good at them.

First game I remember playing and can identify was probably the original Prince of Persia, on one of those early desktop deals like the above mentioned. I also remember staying up all night (it was probably only 9 oclock or so, but to my 4/5 year old brain it was forever) playing Sonic 2 with my mum. I didn't even realise until a couple of years ago that Tails does **** ALL, but I loved it at the time.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I grew up with computers (back in the days when they cost thousands rather than a few hundred - I only found this out when I knocked one over and got battered for it) and played games on the Mac and PC but gaming proper was not something I got into until I met Steve and played Fable TLC for the first time back in 2006.

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
I remember my older cousins bringing the Family Computer to my house and playing it whenever they came to visit, or when we went to visit them, they'd be playing it in their rooms and I'd play with them (Back when one cartridge held over 100 games). I guess that was my first true gaming experience.

Well, my first console was a Nintendo Entertainment System. I remember opening it up for Christmas. It was a gift for myself and my dad. I remember us playing Duck Hunt and Mario Brothers for hours. Then we started renting games at Blockbuster. Mike Tysons Punch Out, Contra, etc, etc. And we'd always try to beat the games before we had to return them (Back then, it was a three day rental).

Now that I think about it, my dad got me into gaming. In-fact, he took me to the store one day, to purchase my very first video card for my first PC. I mowed a lot of lawns and worked at a laundry mat just to save up money for it.

So, my cousins introduced me to gaming, but my dad turned me into a gamer.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
Grew up with gaming, really. My sister used to play Sonic and Prince Of Persia a lot so when I was 4 or so, my Dad set up a Playstation 1 in my bedroom. Played Spyro and Crash Bandicoot and never really wanted to do anything else. Spyro 2 and Crash 3: Warped remain up there with my favourite games ever. Then started playing Final Fantasy 7 when I was 6 or 7, didn't really know what I was doing but I enjoyed it anyway.

Got a PS2, a Gamecube and Xbox growing up then got round to getting a 360 for Christmas 2008.

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
Grew up with gaming, really. My sister used to play Sonic and Prince Of Persia a lot so when I was 4 or so, my Dad set up a Playstation 1 in my bedroom. Played Spyro and Crash Bandicoot and never really wanted to do anything else. Spyro 2 and Crash 3: Warped remain up there with my favourite games ever. Then started playing Final Fantasy 7 when I was 6 or 7, didn't really know what I was doing but I enjoyed it anyway.

Got a PS2, a Gamecube and Xbox growing up then got round to getting a 360 for Christmas 2008.

Oh my God, I feel old. When Final Fantasy 7 first released, I shoplifted it from K-Mart as a Teenager.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Still remember the first time I linked 2 consoles properly with 2 TV's, my Playstation with Steve playing Command & Conquer Retaliation. :lol:

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
How did I get into gaming? Hmm, that's a difficult question. Getting into gaming was sort of like a constant battle with my parents because they've never liked me playing video games. I guess it started with a Game Boy Color and Pokemon Yellow Version, along with a few old PC games (not really that old at the time) my brother had on our computer. From there, I guess I would just try to save my allowance for games and get my parents to buy them for me for christmas and by birthday, though they were reluctant to do so.

My real gamer life didn't start until I was about 13 though. I started playing a space game called Freelancer with a few of my friends online. We got good at the combat, got into some intense clan battles, and we were hooked. That might have been the most fun I've ever had with a game, and actually, I've recently gotten back into it (if anyone's interested in playing, let me know, it's awesome).

When I heard Fable 2 was coming out and that it was a 360 exclusive game, I decided I had to get an Xbox. So I saved up a ton of money, bought it, and that's when the current chapter of my life as a gamer began.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
My real gamer life didn't start until I was about 13 though. I started playing a space game called Freelancer with a few of my friends online. We got good at the combat, got into some intense clan battles, and we were hooked. That might have been the most fun I've ever had with a game, and actually, I've recently gotten back into it (if anyone's interested in playing, let me know, it's awesome).

How good is Freelancer! Loved it back in the day. It feels a bit dated now though. You played any of the X series games?

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
My brother had a NES and I would play it sometimes (the first game I ever played by myself was Marble Madness). Later, he got an N64 and I would sit there and just watch him play it.

When he moved out he gave me his old SNES. The rest is history.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
How good is Freelancer! Loved it back in the day. It feels a bit dated now though. You played any of the X series games?

No, never played the X series. I've heard its name thrown around though. Freelancer doesn't really seem that dated though. I guess when you do the math though, you realize it's over eight years old, but I've been playing on a server with quite an extensive mod that's easy to get the hang of, and it's got 100+ people online a fair amount of the time, so it's still quite active and fun.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
This is quite the complex story for me cus i cant remember witch system i played first: Sega genius, gameboy, N64 or SNES

My grandpa always had a gameboy, (he loved tetris) so logically i assume i would have played the gameboy first. But i don’t remember doing so. BUT, i do remember playing with his gameboy around the same time as other video game memories, and this is when things get complex:

I had 3 really close friends growing up (i wont give name cus... well i just wont)

Friend no.1 (f1) had a playstation and a N64
Friend no. 2 (f2) had a SNES
Friend no. 3 (f3) had a sega genius

I remember playing them all, but witch first i have no clue. I remember at f1 house: crash bandicoot and tony hawk pro skater, super Mario 64, legend of zelda OoT and super smash bros.

f2: super Mario RPG and super Mario world

f3: mortal combat(s) sonic(s)

My first console was a N64 but i played the **** outta pretty much all other consoles (sorry NES.) of that time. When people ask me what my first game console was i say N64 (cus it was) but i grew up playing ps1, SNES and sega genius even before i got my own N64...

TL;DR: i started to play games when i was very young, all of them.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Sega genius

bert.gif

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I have fond memories about the day when my pa took me and my little sister to the toystore to get both of us a Gameboy Colour and the original Pokemon games. I got Red and my sister got Blue. I remember that visit to the toystore as if it was yesterday...

Sigh...