• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I did this for the good of mankind

Reaction score

You dont need a phd in jank, or a RTX specific card either. I think you might even be able to make this mod work on an ancient DX10 GPU. Id be curious how far back you can go with resolution being the saving grace calibrator. This is one of my many children. Im glad I figured out how to scale the depth buffer properly. Now you can enjoy fable with the pixar touch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why hasnt anyone made a texmod a.i. upscale of this game? Its DX9 even. Modders need to hit this one up chop chop, and help me out in other titles.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Seems the video has been removed.

Reaction score
Seems the video has been removed.
I made some changes, including adding a missed step to make it work, and reuploaded it. Fixed with edit so now it should be there again. Sorry, im doing a massive retro renovation project all by myself. Id like any help. Specifically in regards to texture a.i. upscaling. Im pretty sure texmod will work in this game. Someone just needs to take the time. Im focused on mass raytracing first.

If you run it please share your experience with the community and your general system specs. The GPU is generally going to be the bottleneck if you want to run higher resolutions.

Hypothetically a widescreen hack might fix the depth buffer scaling in more normal resolutions, but I want the FOV to scale as the developers artists intended anyway which I guess whatever the xbox original ratio is the ideal FOV. Out of the box the depth buffer scales wrong with 16:9 resolutions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have gigapixel a.i. but like I said I dont want to take the time yet. It requires someone who loves this game to literally play the game, it scans the textures in real time, and that gives you access to them to a.i. upscale them, so you can inject them later when youre done. I simply cannot dedicate that much time to a single game, or id never get anything done.

There is a more obtuse but free a.i. upscale technology called ESRGAN which will only work with nvidia (requires cuda) and you have to mess with a higher level programming language interface which can be intimidating.

Gigapixel will resolve more generalistically but its aslo idiot proof which in my view.... the more user friendly it is, the more I like it. It shouldnt be a rubics cube for every little thing which retro modding is definitely the hardest because it can barely work correctly to begin with on modern operating systems.

ESRGAN resolves along the lines of whatever you trained it to look like and it also can take days to train a model. If you were extremely devoted you can technically train it on very specific images per game targeted object and get superior results, but its really not worth it unless you have real passion propelling said goal. It can literally look at an image of say a trees bark, and all the ways trees bark is supposed to look like from its training, and blend the original game art with the details you find in actual nature.

There is another upscaler called wafu or something rather, but in all honesty its not as sophisticated as the other methods but if its the only thing you have, then its better than nothing.

Part 1

Part 2

Just immerse yourself in everything texmod. Ideally I farm this out as community homework. Someone needs to get involved. This is an insane amount of work, but it needs to be done since no one else will. And the people who do, generally privatize their work. Honestly thats a good thing because a great deal of it is honestly trash. Youre going to want to try this one out though. It makes the game look a lot less flat. More 3 dimensional. More believable lighting just period.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So Texmod isnt going to work. At best, and I havent gotten around to it yet, I got the game running under Vulkan with a catch which might actually be a feature. The depth buffer runs at a quarter resolution the rest of the game, and realistically you must run the game at 4k for it to scale properly. I havent optimized it specifically to this situation yet, but hypothetically it will be able to make the game run on a toaster from 10 years ago if it was top of the line then. Especially if I can get FSR in the mix while finding a workaround to run actually lower resolutions. Remember even if Vulkan is converting DX9 draw calls into Vulkan draw calls which isnt computationally free, it also can skip steps required by the older API sort of trading back some potentially lost overhead. You also get truly multithreaded API capabilities which is why it will help really trash IPC low clock processors handle the added overhead of raytracing. If I could turn the lower resolution depth buffer into a speed hack, that would make this mode make a lot more sense. For now its in development.

I will also have to get a license for Fable III on PC at some point. Its too bad my bank doesnt work with where I found it for sale, which is a place I trust. I wouldnt hold your breath for a Fable 2 remaster. The folks at Xenia just cant work like RPCS3's team. They are blatantly outclassed by several lightyears.