• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Importance of lore.

xxNick

Prodigal Son
Reaction score
I'm curious about how people in this community feel. How well would you guys receive things that may (or may not, depending on how you look at it) break from the story, lore, continuity of the Fable universe? Would it be okay if Fable Legends featured mechasuits and teslaspheres and guns and airships and robots/centurions and dwarves (living or dead)? Or fairies/faeries and other manner of fay and fey (like redcaps, already in the game) and elves and trolls and goblins and demons and zombies and ogres and orcs and basilisks? Of these things, what would you find tolerable and what would you find unforgivable, and why?

What else, unmentioned, would be examples of things you'd find befitting of the setting in Legends? And what would be an example of something, however ridiculous as you might find it, that you feel does not belong in Legends? Be sure to explain.

I'd like to see who says what. I'd also like to see how important a game's story is to you guys. Please, express everything to your heart's delight. I'd like to know anything on your mind at all about the subject.

Keshire

Modder
Reaction score
The fable lore and setting is all over the place. And much of it doesn't make any attempt to smoothly fit itself into the overall setting.

The most glaring issue is magic. It exists only for the player. Other than that there's never any talk of it, and it's only used as a game device to make boss's harder.

Hobs are goblins. It's a direct reference to hobgoblins. And with Fable and Fable TLC being part of the canon, there are also dragons, fairy, undead of various types, lycanthropes, gnolls, and golems. So I wouldn't be surprised if other races exist in this setting. And at least with Fable 1 anything 'Grimm' would have fit.

xxNick

Prodigal Son
Reaction score
It's the first time I've been this connected to a franchise, and seeing the vast changes in story and setting and wildly changing lore and conflicting canon isn't really giving me a place to plant my feet. And every explanation of every new element and feature just makes it worse. But at least the voice actors in the UK have a job explaining it all to us. I'd love to see a full-fledged return to the fantasy and as you said, Grimm setting. Less of the generic action RPG thing and more what Fable was supposed to be sort of thing. But now there are a lot of ideas on what Fable is supposed to be. Won't be surprised to find fans eagerly preaching that it's not Fable without Theresa and guns and an impending doom driven by a Cthulhu-inspired demon of some sort.

Oooh, left out golems, and lycanthropes! Those are good ones. Maybe not vampires, not sure if their recent heyday is dried up yet or not but they're kind of eh these days, certainly not as popular as zombies right now. I blame Twilight.

Magic is indeed a problem. That gauntlet, damn that gauntlet. Not to mention the numerous other issues. Ranged isn't that hot either. I think Ben Yahtzee had a good point, you can specialize in melee, ranged or magic but your enemies chose melee so you'd do well to do so also. There's no real balance or variety in combat. I'd bring up armor mechanics but I'd like to go a while without having to wipe froth off my mouth.

Last edited: