• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
So i just watched Yahtzee's review on it, Said it was like Fable/ dumbed down Skyrim
Then watched the reveiw on GameTrailers and they said it was pretty good.
Played the demo and it froze on me about just after the stealth tutorial....

But, from what i played... yes its very Fable 1 like. Any one here own it? would you recommend it? Any thing i should be aware of before i buy it? (right after after i beat Skyward sword )

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
The demo is an exceptionally early build of the game. I personally haven't played it, but I've heard good things.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
Ok just played through the full demo, pretty dam good i would say. i think ill get it...
sexy dark elf looking rogue tiem

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score
Been playing it over the past few days. It's like someone took Fable 2, gave it the fantasy feel of Fable 1, and half the open-endedness and freedom of Skyrim. It's not perfect but it's a lot of fun, I recommend it.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I've had it for a while. Been playing it on and off since about a week after its release. I definitely like it, and I'll definitely play the sh*t out of it, but it took some time for me to come around. I didn't really feel compelled to do much at first, but as soon as I started doing more quests, discovering more places, getting better stuff, etc., I found myself wanting to continue.

One of the only complaints I have is about the side quests. Rather than having fewer, bigger, and more well made side quests, Kingdoms has a massive plethora of smaller, underwhelming ones. This isn't absolutely horrible; I can work with it, though I'd just prefer side quests more like those of Fallout.

I really love the combat though. Its fluidity makes it really fun and aesthetically pleasing, and there is just the right amount of special moves. There aren't few enough to make the combat boring, and there aren't enough to make it too complex. There's also a decent amount of weapon diversity.

So for those of you who are playing this game, what's your character like?

TheLine

Yarr! I am TheLine
Reaction score
I like to call it Fable 4 :-D
Great Game. Recommend it for all Fable Fans

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I like to call it Fable 4 :-D

I thoroughly disagree. It plays a little like Fable, but that's about it. It's so much more of a generic fantasy game than Fable, and the leveling system and conversations make it a much deeper RPG. Plus, the customization is nowhere close to being on par with Fable.

The Messenger

The Puppeteer of Souls
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that the voice of the previews and intro sound lke Theresa?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I tried it at a friends house a while back. Definitely reminded me more of Dungeon Siege than it did Fable.

Mainly because I couldn't run up to someone and fart in their face.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I've only played the demo but I'm not convinced it's worth buying just yet.

To me, it feels like a collaboration between BioWare, Lionhead and Bethesda - but nowhere near as good as you would imagine such a joining of talent to be. Don't like the whole "enemies with red names are too hard for you - run around levelling up before taking them on" thing...plus I'm not a fan of being accosted by several enemies at once, being battered until I'm staggering and cannot use my own weapon and then dying. That's annoying more than anything else.

The art style appeals to me and once I'd gotten out of wherever the hell it is you start off, I thought the scenery was pretty stunning to look at. It just feels like everything that has already been done well in other games crammed into one game without the same level of greatness, if you understand what I mean. I'm not seeing anything all that new...but having said that, I've only played the demo so it's hardly truly representative of everything you could possibly do in the game. I think I'd still wait until it's on offer before paying out for it though...if I do at all.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that the voice of the previews and intro sound lke Theresa?

Well, it's the voice of Alyn Shir, who is a main character in the game. I didn't think she sounds like Theresa though.

Don't like the whole "enemies with red names are too hard for you - run around levelling up before taking them on" thing

You know, I've seen stuff about that on the loading screens, but I haven't actually noticed any enemies with red names in my time playing the game. Maybe the demo's just different like that.

plus I'm not a fan of being accosted by several enemies at once, being battered until I'm staggering and cannot use my own weapon and then dying. That's annoying more than anything else.

That hasn't happened to me much either. I mean, there's going to be a small amount of that in a lot of games, but there are maneuvers and abilities that you can gain through leveling up that help a lot with that.

I think I'd still wait until it's on offer before paying out for it though...if I do at all.

Honestly, this game is amazing. If the quality of the game is the only thing stopping you from buying it now, don't bother waiting. It was just slightly difficult to get into at first, but as I play it more and more, I just keep loving it more and more. At this point, I'm already on my second playthrough. I did just about everything on my first one, including getting to the max level and getting most of the game's achievements, and I'm three quarters of the way to the max level on my second character. I think I might like this game even more than Fallout at this point.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I love it, personally. Angel's right when she says it feels like a Bioware-Bethesda-Lionhead mash-up. At times it really does feel like "Baby's First Skyrim" but for a game that's just starting off as it's own franchise, it's pretty good. The combat is fun, the scenery is nice to look at and I like the idea of 'choosing your own fate'. The character interactions at times feel a little sterile but the positives more than make up for it.

Encountered a dive-spot.

OMGLIEKFABLELOL

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
It's good fun, yes. I'm personally not paying much attention to the story, but the combat and overall aesthetics make up for that anyway.
There are some issues, mainly what Angel mentioned about combat having flaws versus multiple opponents. It could be a bit more fluid, but a little tip to anyone having troubles - love your shield, even as a mage.

I'm playing a Finesse, Sorcery hybrid and using Faeblades/Chakrams as main weapons, but I'm really using every other weapon I want as well.
Also plus points for having a kind of Fable feel to it.

Why people compare it to Skyrim is beyond me. It's better.:cool:

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
Why people compare it to Skyrim is beyond me. It's better.:cool:
Since ive made this thread, ive stopped playing KoAR (got to lvl 16) and have played skyrim for the second time (lvl 37). My KoAR boner is gone. Its good, but not Skyrim good. Better then Fable 3 yes, but not Skyrim IMO

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Well my Skyrim boner ended the first time I entered the in-game menu.
Wait, I got a second one when I had a little stroll up the mountain, but yeah, that was it again.

With KoAR, however... :shifty:
Nah I'm kidding it wasn't that extreme.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Apples and oranges.

To me, they're just as different than Gears of War and Rainbow Six: Vegas II. Both are technically third person shooters, but they are two wholly different beasts.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Yup, pretty much.
All in all KoAR is nice because it's easy to get into and the combat is fun.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Apples and oranges.

To me, they're just as different than Gears of War and Rainbow Six: Vegas II. Both are technically third person shooters, but they are two wholly different beasts.

Personally, I'd say KOA and Skyrim are more closely related than Gears of War and Rainbow Six: Vegas II.

KOA and Skyrim are both RPGs; both set in a fantasy worlds; both feature prodigal characters(The Fateless One and Dragonborn) whom hold special abilities that no one else can harness; both include a variety of races, 4 of which can be chosen as the PC. I could go on.

Gears of War and Rainbow Six: Vegas II on the other hand are different. Same genre but completely different settings and completely different concepts.

KOA and Skyrim are more like green apples and red apples. Same fruit; different colour.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
I'll never recognize green apples.

APPLE SEGREGATION FOREVER!