• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

KONY

Azer249

Reaction score
But I got to ask Arseface, are you putting your money where your mouth is, or are you just another PC liberal guy talking but not doing, saying other people need to do this or that, but you yourself aren't actually doing anything. What have you done for this "movement" you so nobly defend, have you joined your country's military to join in on the "fight for freedom"? Or are you just "supporting" it by liking the videos, sharing them with neighbors and then criticizing me for pointing out the blatant truth, telling me I'm saying "The problem is too big for me to do anything" - what the hell have you done to help or fix it?

I think you're missing the point Sean. The video wasn't just supposed to be about the money. One of the main aims of it was to spread the word about Kony and what he does so that people become aware of the situation, then hopefully the government would pay more attention to it. Even if TheFaceOfTheArse is a armchair supporter, he is still helping by actually viewing the video.

For example Tsuyu didn't know about it before hand, and the video did what it intended to do, make him aware of the situation.

Now this might just be me being stupid old me, but I had no idea what the LRA and Kony were before the video was made.

I do agree with the whole becoming aware part of the scheme, but when it comes to the money side i think it's terrible. I don't agree at all when it comes to how the money is used (if it is true) or how they use the money to combat the situation.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that we should not be too quick to dismiss the importance and impact of this little video. How many of you knew about Kony and his little ragtag army of child rapists before this video? Or about the situation in Africa in general?

But wait, you say "Tsuyu, everyone knows that Africa is more or less fubar. We've know that since before this video!"

All I know is that just after this video hit YouTube, Swedish journalist published a story about a huge scandal where a Swedish oil company(Lundin Petroleum) exploited a civil war and the rape/killing of tribal people in another part of Africa; Sudan to get their hands on the oil under their native land. If nobody was talking about Kony, do you still think they would've put that much effort into digging up this story? I doubt it. Everyone knows Africa is fubar, after all, and this story would've just been one amongst countless others of white people exploiting the black people in Africa. But now everyone up here is talking about both Kony and Lundin Petroleum. So I still maintain that even if putting up posters and stuff might not directly help the cause, it does bring the eyes of the modern world on Africa.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
I would also like to clarify that I never mentioned how exactly I plan to support this cause. I probably wont donate to Invisible Children Inc. I don't know what I'm going to do. I plan on getting bang for my buck though.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Until I fully understand a situation I don't form an opinion either way. I don't completely understand all the politics of what's going on here and to be honest it feels like two opposing bandwagons which apparently I must immediately choose between or somehow I'm going to asplode or whatever. I don't like that sort of pressure and I don't like being bulldozed into a decision because so and so can rant louder than the opposing side. I've deleted all KONY 2012 links that have wound up on my FB and Twitter and have done the same with the anti-Invisible Children brigade.

I don't actually know what it is people are expecting the planet to do about this situation. I'm confused. Am I supposed to be lobbying my MP for something? Am I meant to sign one of a million petitions? Do I send money somewhere? Do I post endless YouTube links all over the place and irritate the hell out of everyone? Have I got to check my recycling bin outside in case Kony is hiding in there? I'm a simple person and all this just confuses me...

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score
429731_10150633734413353_526523352_9196044_1090497496_n.jpg

Drew2686

Nap time is before pants time.
Reaction score
Yea...he's been in hiding somewhere on the planet for ~6 years. All of this went down almost a decade ago. Too little, way too late as far as I'm concerned. I can't be bothered to be a hipster and join the movement on this one.

Hence why I'm not a part of the system! :p

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score
I think you're missing the point Sean. The video wasn't just supposed to be about the money. One of the main aims of it was to spread the word about Kony and what he does so that people become aware of the situation, then hopefully the government would pay more attention to it. Even if TheFaceOfTheArse is a armchair supporter, he is still helping by actually viewing the video.

You mean what he DID* ? He's only got 200 fighters left. The guy is a ghost.

How about raise awareness for the atrocities in Syria, how about raise awareness for the evil of Assad?
How about actually worry about stopping CURRENT genocide FIRST and "support" (and I STRESS that word) the capture of a killer who has PAST criminality SECOND. Oh wait, that's because you didn't watch a cute, and to some degree staged 30 minute holly-wood like video showing the atrocities of Syria. DUH! Forgot!

By the way, I watched the video too. & watching the video doesn't help at all. That's without one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard in a long time. That is the definition of laziness. Stop trying to justify laziness, hypocrisy and armchairing Azer. Because you're not helping **** by clicking play. Azer, people like you are the reason why this generation is the worst generation... except for the one below us whose coming up too...

So either you have your own achievements to show or you're the kind to neglect everything to free yourself from responsibility. Otherwise I don't think calling someone out on being passive is justified.

There should be a difference between being passive and being hypocritical. Just saying.
Alright Sean, first of all: If I'm a terrible person, does that make it alright for rebels to kidnap and rape children?

Second of all: All you have is my word on this, but once I have a stable home situation, I fully plan on doing something about this. Donating, protesting, whatever. I've just got a new job, and I'm planning on moving out in a couple of months, and I'm trying to organise that. Once that's all settled, I'll be putting my money where my mouth is. I'm sure as f*** doing more than you are right now.

How? By watching and liking a video? Congratulations. I watched the video too. Should I get a medal of merit too?

Azer249

Reaction score
1) How about raise awareness for the atrocities in Syria, how about raise awareness for the evil of Assad?
How about actually worry about stopping CURRENT genocide FIRST and "support" (and I STRESS that word) the capture of a killer who has PAST criminality SECOND. Oh wait, that's because you didn't watch a cute, and to some degree staged 30 minute holly-wood like video showing the atrocities of Syria. DUH! Forgot!

By the way, I watched the video too. & watching the video doesn't help at all. That's without one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard in a long time. That is the definition of laziness. 2) Stop trying to justify laziness, hypocrisy and armchairing Azer. Because you're not helping s*** by clicking play.

3) Azer, people like you are the reason why this generation is the worst generation... except for the one below us whose coming up too...

1) Why do we need to raise more awareness to them, i'm already well aware of what has been going on there for quite some time, watched tv programs and what not on them showing real footage of what happens there and yes, it isn't pretty. As for Support, i've done my fair share of that via spreading videos and showing friends to try and show them what happens, yes i don't donate to any causes, but that's because i don't have the money to not because i wouldn't.

2) I'm not completely justifying the use of armchair tactics but they do come in handy for some cases. Look how many people have viewed that video and have done something about it, even if it is a false cause it sure as hell got the message across and people reacted. Sure just clicking play won't help but if you showed any video to a friend, they show there's and so on. It's called going Viral, by doing S*** like that you get attention whether it be for the best reasons or not.

3) So because i have an opinion on a subject that does not agree with yours i'm the reason my generation sucks? Stop being so closed minded and accept that even if you don't agree with a cause it doesn't mean it's not right. Someone can still support something without donating to a cause, i highly doubt that you have donated to EVERY cause you have believed in. In addition to that the KONY thing may have been long dusted, and i never said it had not been but, at least it brings this kind of stuff to more peoples attention so they know what the hell is going on in the world instead of being confined to there little bubble.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Let's try to keep this civil. No need to resort to being aggressive or throwing insults.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
You mean what he DID* ? He's only got 200 fighters left. The guy is a ghost.

How about raise awareness for the atrocities in Syria, how about raise awareness for the evil of Assad?

Sean, the Arab Spring has been ridiculously well covered. I'm not sure awareness could get much higher.

By the way, I watched the video too. & watching the video doesn't help at all. That's without one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard in a long time. That is the definition of laziness. Stop trying to justify laziness, hypocrisy and armchairing Azer. Because you're not helping s*** by clicking play. Azer, people like you are the reason why this generation is the worst generation... except for the one below us whose coming up too...

There should be a difference between being passive and being hypocritical. Just saying.

Sean, as much as I would love to live at home for the rest of my life, and donate 100% of my income to unicef, I feel that's a bit unreasonable. I shouldn't have to go to extreme lengths to support causes, just to be dubbed "non-hypocritical." If I'm aware of the issue, and willing to actually help when the time comes, what more do you want?

How? By watching and liking a video? Congratulations. I watched the video too. Should I get a medal of merit too?

It's about being aware and willing to do something about an issue. You just watched it and ridiculed it under the guise of being some kind of "realist". You're really just using pessimism as a way of justifying your inaction.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Any particular reason as to why you're not touching on any of the points I made, Sean?

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Any particular reason as to why you're not touching on any of the points I made, Sean?

Your banhammer shaped like a giant dildo scares people, Tsuyu.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score
If we only cared about things on the premise that nothing is worse than it, nothing would ever be done about anything. I don't know how people keep falling into the stupid pitfall of "well ________ is totally worse guys", it's totally irrelevant, if people want to support catching Kony, let them. You're smarter than this, Sean. I know you are.

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score
It's about being aware and willing to do something about an issue. You just watched it and ridiculed it under the guise of being some kind of "realist". You're really just using pessimism as a way of justifying your inaction.

That, or maybe my inaction is cause of more research than a 30 minute video, and I realized it really isn't worth my time or money. And money I send to IC wouldn't be put to good use. But you're right, it could be because I'm just lazy and making up a bullsh*t excuse to not do anything. It's an awful shame your opinion of me means zip. :blink: Would have been a good story, maybe IC would make a video about that.

You never really said much in the first place.

"... good men to do nothing." Then go get him. Go do something. Why are you waiting around for me? According to you all I'm not a good man so why the **** should I prove anything to you. But I liked your post about Lundin Petrolium. & understood your opinion on the whole showing the world what's going on, even though they've been trying to do that for decades.

Either way you fling it, I still think the supporting opinions of this movement were and still are ... garbage. You can put posters over every damn city for all I care, sure it will make people "aware" but does that mean you're actually going to do something? You can be AWARE of anything and still not react. So as I said before and still will, it's bullshit. Nothing is going to be solved. What's knowledge without action? So the whole "MAKING AWARE" defense is garbage.

But okay. Maybe I am stubborn and being a jackass about this. Maybe I'm wrong for that and maybe some of you are a little close-minded and wrong too for simply following it and considering other options. And I apologize, I just don't think my opinion on this matter will change. I do have to admit that I was impressed by the mass volume of viewers this video has generated. I guess that could be a good sign.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Either way you fling it, I still think the supporting opinions of this movement were and still are ... garbage. You can put posters over every damn city for all I care, sure it will make people "aware" but does that mean you're actually going to do something? You can be AWARE of anything and still not react. So as I said before and still will, it's bullshit. Nothing is going to be solved. What's knowledge without action? So the whole "MAKING AWARE" defense is garbage.

Really? You don't think awareness matters? Let's say World War II was taking place right now. Imagine if someone did a Wikileaks or Kony 2012 story on how the Jews and other minorities were being treated in Nazi Germany. The extermination camps etc etc.

Eventhough your Average Joe couldn't exactly go into Nazi Germany and free the Jews himself, the general outrage and pressure by these Average Joes on their government and other higher-ups would've forced them to act.

You're grossly underestimating the power of making people aware of an issue. You don't have to be President or Senator to make a difference.

"... good men to do nothing." Then go get him. Go do something. Why are you waiting around for me? According to you all I'm not a good man so why the f*** should I prove anything to you.

Your misinterpretation me. Why does "do something" automatically translate into "go kill him" inside your mind? By "...good men to do nothing." I meant that if we, as the general human population on this planet, adopt your passive and pessimistic approach to foreign problems like this, evil can and will run rampart in those parts of the world. If nobody cares about little African girls having to experience their family get butchered and then sold into a lifetime sexual slavery, then what has the world come to? I don't want to live in that world.

One can do a difference without personally go and put a bullet in Kony's (and men like him) forehead.

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score
Really? You don't think awareness matters? Let's say World War II was taking place right now. Imagine if someone did a Wikileaks or Kony 2012 story on how the Jews and other minorities were being treated in Nazi Germany. The extermination camps etc etc.

Eventhough your Average Joe couldn't exactly go into Nazi Germany and free the Jews himself, the general outrage and pressure by these Average Joes on their government and other higher-ups would've forced them to act.

You're grossly underestimating the power of making people aware of an issue. You don't have to be President or Senator to make a difference.

Your misinterpretation me. Why does "do something" automatically translate into "go kill him" inside your mind? By "...good men to do nothing." I meant that if we, as the general human population on this planet, adopt your passive and pessimistic approach to foreign problems like this, evil can and will run rampart in those parts of the world. If nobody cares about little African girls having to experience their family get butchered and then sold into a lifetime sexual slavery, then what has the world come to? I don't want to live in that world.

One can do a difference without personally go and put a bullet in Kony's (and men like him) forehead.

Mm. Okay. I can understand that. I guess I just tend to think the government officials and higher ups don't really care what the general population thinks.

I never said kill him. You could arrest him. You could sell him to mercenaries, it doesn't matter to me.

I rarely have a passive approach on foreign problems, but I will admit I'm very pessimistic.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Mm. Okay. I can understand that. I guess I just tend to think the government officials and higher ups don't really care what the general population thinks.

Well, y'know, it is our votes that puts them in office after all. It is in their best interest to please us. Unless of course democracy as we know it is a sham and our votes don't matter... *tinfoilhat*

I never said kill him. You could arrest him. You could sell him to mercenaries, it doesn't matter to me.

Kill him, arrest him, feed him to your man-eating anteaters. Either way either option implies the same thing: that you personally go and take care of him.