• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

let me get something straight

william black

I am the original archon
Reaction score
In fable history apparently one of archons early sons made and ordered the distribution of Avos tears wich were based on the sword of aeons, and they were given to head gards for centuries and I quote from lionhead forums one day a great mage who went by the name of solicitous was in bowerstone and was trying to close a vortex that would destroy bowerstone he took a "normal gards sword " and focused all his will energy in to this sword creating Avos tear and tossed it in to the vortex killing him and all around him so wich sounds truer to you archons battle theory or solicitous epic sacrifice (personify I like solicitous because it fits with fable history)

Cast your vote and please explain why and if anyone has more of an invite than me please add to this

Btw this is my profile pic because it's a bit dogey

xxNick

Prodigal Son
Reaction score
The Avo's Tear is one of the things that has fueled theories and conjecture for Fable fans for a long while. The problem is the source: Lionhead gave conflicting information about it on multiple occasions.

So. Let's start with Fable: TLC. The guy's name was Solcius, and he was apparently a really badass mage. He took a guard's sword to channel his whatever into stopping the vortex killing him and locking his energy in the sword and stuff. That story doesn't particularly appeal to me as you might have guessed, but it's the one most strongly supported in TLC, it's written in the in-game book A History of the Guild, Solcius stands proudly as a stone statue outside Maze's quarters, and Solcius is buried in one of the four graves at the guild, the fourth and emptier of which being the one that relinquishes the sword itself.

In Lionhead's Tales of Albion, which if I remember correctly was removed from their website some four years ago, Nostro commissioned the sword's creation modeled off of the Sword of Aeons while he was Guildmaster. I do not like this explanation at all. Not just because the idea that the guild had smiths that could duplicate the power of the Sword of Aeons, which none of them had even seen, is preposterous and conflicts with them being unable to duplicate the master weapons of the Old Kingdom, which are certainly newer and less powerful than the Sword of Aeons, but also because the rest of the source material is a steaming pile of dung.

In Fable 3, you can find Avo's Lamentation, which is stated to have been made at the same time as Avo's Tear but for some reason was lost for hundreds of years. And is apparently found roughly 550 years after it's twin. This poses a problem with both stories. Obviously the Solcius story requires that there only be the one sword, since the dude can only die once. And as impossible as it would have been for Nostro's people to make just one of these swords, it'd certainly be more impossible for them to make two, which has the added benefit of being trivial and pointless. My solution to making the Avo's Lamentation work in a canonical way is that a talented smith did make it, but it wasn't Solcius or Nostro or anyone who worked for either. More probable is that it was some guy who wanted to get rich and sold a ton of "legendary" weapons. Be sure to inspect it for a "Made in China" stamp somewhere.

Now, I've never, ever heard any story about William Black or any other Archon mass producing Avo's Tears and giving them to head guards. Obviously it conflicts with all the other stories, and makes no sense. If the elite guards had Avo's Tears, Solcius would hardly need to sacrifice himself to create one when he could instead just pick it up off the dead guard. So it conflicts with that story. Going back to the same point with the Nostro and Avo's Lamentation stories, Nostro certainly didn't need two so I don't think he'd have even more made. Where ever you heard that, though, might not be entirely incorrect. The Archons were around in the Old Kingdom. What did the Old Kingdom have? Old Kingdom weapons. Master weapons. What do the meanest toughest guards and bandits and even Jack of Blades himself all have? Master weapons. Maybe one of the Archons had a ton of these master weapons created and distributed. That certainly makes a lot more sense.

This is why the Solcius story is the only one that even remotely holds up. And, again, that's the one heavily supported in Fable TLC.

william black

I am the original archon
Reaction score
I see what you mean bout you know everything bout fable.tlc

xxNick

Prodigal Son
Reaction score
I probably shouldn't have said everything, that comes off as being arrogant. But I do know a little bit.

I thought some more about this and feel that one could say that the Avo's Tear is entirely extra-canonical. The sword and its history is added to TLC as a way to keep a balance - to keep from punishing players for making a "good" choice in throwing away the Sword of Aeons, who would then be at a significant disadvantage without a weapon that powerful. Enter Avo's Tear and cheesy improvised backstory.

I would love to see a reboot and rewrite of this franchise to something that is consistent and makes sense.

william black

I am the original archon
Reaction score
That makes lots o confuson thiugh even if one of the archons mass produced master weapons and gave them out to the world why would people roumor that they were nicknamed Avos tear

xxNick

Prodigal Son
Reaction score
People make a lot of rumors about a lot of things. Sometimes it's misunderstanding. Sometimes it's bad source information, like with Tales of Albion having conflicting backstories. Sometimes it's a troll saying whatever. And sometimes, it's just creative license with extra canonical stuff, like fan fiction, which then gets mistaken one way or another for "Thunder's actually Whisper's father!" or something equally ridiculous which then becomes a rumor you hear.

That's one of the reasons I avoided the Fable communities for as long as I did. Couldn't take all the falsities, like people insisting there was a secret singing sword and I'm just too stupid to find it, despite some pretty strong evidence to the contrary. But most of that's over with now, thank goodness.

bluetain

Reaction score
The Avo's Tear is one of the things that has fueled theories and conjecture for Fable fans for a long while. The problem is the source: Lionhead gave conflicting information about it on multiple occasions.

So. Let's start with Fable: TLC. The guy's name was Solcius, and he was apparently a really badass mage. He took a guard's sword to channel his whatever into stopping the vortex killing him and locking his energy in the sword and stuff. That story doesn't particularly appeal to me as you might have guessed, but it's the one most strongly supported in TLC, it's written in the in-game book A History of the Guild, Solcius stands proudly as a stone statue outside Maze's quarters, and Solcius is buried in one of the four graves at the guild, the fourth and emptier of which being the one that relinquishes the sword itself.

In Lionhead's Tales of Albion, which if I remember correctly was removed from their website some four years ago, Nostro commissioned the sword's creation modeled off of the Sword of Aeons while he was Guildmaster. I do not like this explanation at all. Not just because the idea that the guild had smiths that could duplicate the power of the Sword of Aeons, which none of them had even seen, is preposterous and conflicts with them being unable to duplicate the master weapons of the Old Kingdom, which are certainly newer and less powerful than the Sword of Aeons, but also because the rest of the source material is a steaming pile of dung.

In Fable 3, you can find Avo's Lamentation, which is stated to have been made at the same time as Avo's Tear but for some reason was lost for hundreds of years. And is apparently found roughly 550 years after it's twin. This poses a problem with both stories. Obviously the Solcius story requires that there only be the one sword, since the dude can only die once. And as impossible as it would have been for Nostro's people to make just one of these swords, it'd certainly be more impossible for them to make two, which has the added benefit of being trivial and pointless. My solution to making the Avo's Lamentation work in a canonical way is that a talented smith did make it, but it wasn't Solcius or Nostro or anyone who worked for either. More probable is that it was some guy who wanted to get rich and sold a ton of "legendary" weapons. Be sure to inspect it for a "Made in China" stamp somewhere.

Now, I've never, ever heard any story about William Black or any other Archon mass producing Avo's Tears and giving them to head guards. Obviously it conflicts with all the other stories, and makes no sense. If the elite guards had Avo's Tears, Solcius would hardly need to sacrifice himself to create one when he could instead just pick it up off the dead guard. So it conflicts with that story. Going back to the same point with the Nostro and Avo's Lamentation stories, Nostro certainly didn't need two so I don't think he'd have even more made. Where ever you heard that, though, might not be entirely incorrect. The Archons were around in the Old Kingdom. What did the Old Kingdom have? Old Kingdom weapons. Master weapons. What do the meanest toughest guards and bandits and even Jack of Blades himself all have? Master weapons. Maybe one of the Archons had a ton of these master weapons created and distributed. That certainly makes a lot more sense.

This is why the Solcius story is the only one that even remotely holds up. And, again, that's the one heavily supported in Fable TLC.

Some great information here , Thanks for posting this ... :)