• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Leveling System

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjbyrum1

That Asshole Son-of-a-Bitch
Reaction score
Well, Fable doesn't really have a leveling system. The first and second really just had pools of experience that you could use to 'buy' new skills and abilities. Fable III just had Guild Seals that you spent to open chests to get better weapons (not really leveling).

Anyway, I was wondering what you guys thought of something. In each Fable game, you have the ability to 'max out' your character. You can have MAX Strength, MAX Skill, and MAX Will in both I and II, in number III you can unlock everything. Now, I do like this idea, but I had something in mind I was wondering if you guys thought it was a good idea.

What if instead of the current systems ('maxing' out) there was a limited system? That means you would train your character until you ran out of 'experience' or 'seals' or whatever. Therefore, you could NOT max out your character, instead your character would be specialized uniquely in either one or multiple areas. For example:

Assume we went back to the old 'Strength, Skill, and Will' way were you spent EXP points. Say each category had 10 different skills. Say each one cost 1000 EXP to purchase, therefore you'd need 10,000 EXP to fully train in Strength. In all, you'd need 30,000 EXP to 'max out'. But that's the thing. Imagine if you could only train 10 things? Once you trained 10 things, you could train no more. You could either train in Strength 10 times, and be a pure warrior; or train in Will 10 times and be a pure Wizard; or train in Skill and Will 5 times each and be some sort of Gunslinger-Wizard Hybrid. It could be 5 Strength, 3 Skill, and 2 Will, among many other possibilities.

Heck, it could be different too. It could be like you can train 15 things, or 20 things, whatever the designers want. Another thing, say there was 20 Spells. Then each spell could cost, say 500 EXP, therefore training two of them would count as 1 skill, so in the end you'd be a maxed out Wizard (but have no Skill or Strength.

See how this works? Maxing Out is sort of cool, I mean I like it and all; my problem? In the end, your character will always end up the same in terms of abilities. I mean, no matter what, generally each and every character will soon end up like every other one - maxed out.

A Limited System, at least to me, would feel and be better. I mean, I know EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion, and I understand not everyone would like a Limited System, and prefer a Max Out System better. But in a Limited System, each character would end up different; I mean sure some might be the same, but not all. It would add replay value to it as well. Play through it once as a pure Strength User; play through it again as a Pure Wizard; play through it again as a Hybrid. I mean, there so many different possibilities for your character!

What do you think? Do you prefer a Max Out or Limited System?

TL;DR: Limited VS Max Out experience leveling systems. Which do you prefer?

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I specialize most of my characters like that anyway, so a limited leveling system wouldn't do anything new for me. All it would do is take out the option of maxing out, which I always do with my two main characters, so I like the current system.

tjbyrum1

Reaction score
Well I mean, I did too.

I beat Fable I using a Warrior, and then again using an Archer. And no, the proportion of the Archer was NOT good.

I beat Fable II using a Pure Warrior, and then again as a Pure Gunslinger. A bit better, I much preferred the Gunslinger - cause I LOVE Guns.

Fable III.... I really just used my gun the whole time. I actually think I never used my sword again once I got my gun. Literally. No joke.

If you're wondering why I never used a 'mage' or wizard or whatever... well I hate magic. I think magic is ridiculous, childish and just plain out... 'gay' (as in gay like I don't like it... not homosexual).

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
I would like to play as a Hero other than one of the descendants of William Black, who possess all three of the Hero disciplines. Instead, I'd like to play as a Hero of Skill or a Hero of Strength, who must leverage their specialized talents in unique ways instead of simply opening up their giant swiss army knife of powers and abilities to find the one they need for a situation. The opportunities to create an entire trees of 'Skill' abilities and 'Strength' abilities are virtually limitless. Skill Heroes would be speedy but weak, capable to dual wielding weapons and using stealth. Strength Heroes would be slow and durable, capable of wielding huge weapons and favoring unstoppable brute force over finesse.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
Right, call it limited. Here's how this thread works:

"This car here, on the left is pure awesome [insert awesome description]"
"And also there's this car here, on the right"
"Which you want? Awesome car or the one to the right. Oh, the one to the right one is for faggots"

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
Yeah, all that silly hatred of wizards kind of bothered me too. There's nothing wrong with wizardry. You can hardly play a game about goblins, undead, and other supernatural elements without getting down with magic. It's the beating heart of any fantasy adventure. Personally I think that wizards are much cooler than gunslingers. Why shoot a bullet when you can throw a ball of fire?

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
I I'd like to play as a Hero of Skill or a Hero of Strength, who must leverage their specialized talents in unique ways instead of simply opening up their giant swiss army knife of powers and abilities to find the one they need for a situation.
Shandowfiend predicts Fable MMO. Let's keep this message archived, just in case.

tjbyrum1

Reaction score
I like what you said first Shadowfiend, it sounded about right.

Right, call it limited. Here's how this thread works:

"This car here, on the left is pure awesome [insert awesome description]"
"And also there's this car here, on the right"
"Which you want? Awesome car or the one to the right. Oh, the one to the right one is for faggots"

I don't see what you mean. I asked if people would like a Limited Leveling System over the current one.

I never said 'Magic is for Faggots' or 'Gunslingers are the best to use in any game' of 'Bullets are better than fireballs', I never said any of that - at all.

I think magic is ridiculous, childish and just plain out... 'gay' (as in gay like I don't like it... not homosexual).

'Gay' has a different meaning nowadays, and it's just part of my vocabulary.

I just don't like Magic. That's it, I just don't. Is that so wrong? If you guys like Mages more than Gunslingers - I'm fine with that - it's all opinions. I just like the use of REALISTIC stuff over fake magic stuff - that's just me, nothing wrong with magic entirely, I just don't like it.

I know this sounds rather ironic, and pretty dumb, but I hate fantasy. I can't stand dragons, goblins, orcs, fireballs, wizards, etc... I just can't stand it. In fact, I always play Fable games as realistic as possible - never use magic - never use potions (only eat food) - only fight fantasy creatures when necessary.

Don't mean to be an asshole, but generally anything considered.... 'geeky' such as Dragons and Elves and Magic... I just don't like.​

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
Don't mean to be an asshole, but generally anything considered.... 'geeky' such as Dragons and Elves and Magic... I just don't like.
Haven't you heard? Geeky is what's 'in' these days. You're not cool unless you're a nerd about something.

Anyway, I don't think you're an asshole. I just don't think you make any damn sense. You're playing a video game, which by its very nature is to be an escape from reality for the purposes of entertainment. Fable especially! It's set in a world where attacks by goblins (hobbes) and zombies (hollowmen) are a relatively normal occurrence in the life of ordinary people who inhabit this make-believe world where the Fable stories take place.
For you to play Fable and then declare that you prefer to ignore everything that is happening in the game doesn't make any sense. You make no sense, tjbyrum1.

tjbyrum1

Reaction score
I know I don't! When do I ever!

Haha, I see what you're saying. I reckon all I can say is 'It's fun'. I like the idea, and the gameplay (kind of) but I just wish Fable was different you know? But not all games can be perfect.

Wow... if I made Fable games...

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
Haha, I see what you're saying. I reckon all I can say is 'It's fun'. I like the idea, and the gameplay (kind of) but I just wish Fable was different you know? But not all games can be perfect.

Wow... if I made Fable games...
If you made Fable games it wouldn't be Fable anymore! It's a game about super humans descended from the ancient bloodline of a man who wrested control of the world from god-like beings at the dawn of recorded history. Can't have that! It's unrealistic! Let's say Albion's history is the same as real world England. There we go. Nice and normal. You like guns. Guns are real. Let's keep using those. Fable gives guns infinite ammo and magical properties. Can't have THAT, it isn't realistic! So now you put in ordinary guns that use ammo. What are the enemies in Fable? Goblins and zombies? Can't have that! They aren't real! Let's just keep the bandits. There we go.

So now what do we have? We have British Call of Duty: The Red Coats. Great. Just freakin' great.

tjbyrum1

Reaction score
It don't sound to bad Shadowfiend! Let's make a game business shall we? Joking.

Yes, I'd prefer Nice and normal settings. I'd prefer guns. I'd prefer limited ammo. I'd prefer bandits, wolves, and other things as well.

And no, it would not be British Call of Duty: The Red Coats.

Think of Fable like this:

Simple RPG game like it is now.
--NO gay marriage.
--NO magic
--NO fantasy creatures
--NO childish features
--NO childish quests

Imagine a game where you could be a Gunslinger, or a Swordsman, or both! Imagine fighting bandits, bears, wolves, red coats, among other things! Imagine much more plausible interactions and quests! Oh the orgasmic possibilities!

Now, I know that would totally undo what Fable is. Fable is 'okay' for now, but it could be a bit better. Sure keep the Magic and Fantasy Creatures, I don't mind it (but neither do I prefer it), but make it a bit more adult-like please.

I'm not saying "Take Magic out of Fable" or "Make Albion a real place" or even "Take all Fantasy Elements out of Fable". All I said was I dislike this stuff. Oh wow, so what I don't like something? Oh well it turns out not everyone likes the same things. You guys have your magic and fantasy, while I have my guns.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
It don't sound to bad Shadowfiend! Let's make a game business shall we? Joking.
Heaven forbid. :blink: ...Nothing personal.

Think of Fable like this:

Simple RPG game like it is now.
--NO gay marriage.
--NO magic
--NO fantasy creatures
--NO childish features
--NO childish quests
Why no gay marriage? Gay people are real. Personally I don't care one way or the other. It's never really affected me. I mean, sure, I kind of wish I could unsee the male prostitutes, but I'm a reasonable adult and I'll block out the unsavory image in time.

There's no accounting for taste, I suppose. I can respect that you enjoy 'realism.' To what end though? Don't you get enough realism in real life? This is a video game. You can live the impossible and experience things that could otherwise never be experienced... yet you'd rather kill wolves and drink coffee and be as UTTERLY BLAND AND BORING as you can be? Whatever floats your boat, man. I don't judge, I just can't relate. It's the same reason I hate sports video games. See, I can actually go out and play basketball if I so choose. Why in the world would I need to simulate it? What a pointless waste of money. Alternatively, I cannot go out and embark on an epic quest to slay a dragon. You understand what I'm getting at here?

You seem to have a different (and negative) definition for 'childish' than I do. In my mind, there's nothing wrong with childish things. Mainly because being childish is an inescapable part of being human. We were all children once and consequently some small piece of us will always be a child. I cherish my innocent dreams of magic and wonder. When my personality was simple and honest and good. Children forget grudges within twenty minutes and never feel cynical about the world.
The life of an adult is one of lies, betrayal, greed, and stress. Adulthood is awful. Keep your guns and your alcohol and your responsibility. I wish I could be rid of them.

I'm too old to believe in magic anymore... but I keep an eye out for it. Maybe it is out there. Maybe something amazing and magical could happen. Unfortunately I'm too old for wishes too. I work at my job, I attend classes, and I go through the motions of life. That doesn't change my opinion though. The world would be a better and more interesting place if magic were real. I play video games because they give me a taste of what reality can never offer me.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
I don't see what's the problem with gay marriage. Whether your views are, the world nowadays
accepts gay marriage and it's slowly spreading. Fable, being a video game it also considers
that gay mariage is allowed. (Whereas, I don't see what's the problem. Any kind of RPG wants
to give you some kind of freedom, isn't this one?)

Well magic always plays a role into the action-RPG genera, whether you like it or not, magic
will always have a certain impact on many action-RPG games such as Fable. If you don't like
magic then you should switch video game genera.

Fable has magic, of course it shouldn't have too much - that's because of the design they
have been following at Fable 3. They wanted more action and thus they created more action
oriented spells and left out the support spells as potions.

There are many fantasy creatures in Fable 3. The truth is, they left out the trolls. Although
I don't think it's a big deal - there are many fantasy creatures in Fable 3. (Hobbes, Undead,
Nymphs, Balverines and Trolls)

I'm not sure what you call "Childish" although let me tell you that those exist just for the
pure entertainment of the player. You shouldn't take any Fable too seriously. The quests,
voices, cinematics and well everything has been worked out to have a little sense of humor -
childish in some situations.

tjbyrum1

Reaction score
Look, I didn't want to say this, but I reckon I have to.
I like games simulating manly stuff.

Wow, that sounds so stupid and corny, but that's the best way I can put it. Masculinity you know? Guns? Blowing **** up? Women? That kind of stuff. Not swords, magic, and dragons.

But I want to say that I respect the fact you acknowledge my opinion Shadowfiend, so I'll say no more. I mean come on - Fable was never geared towards men in general, but to everyone (old enough to buy it). I can accept that. However, I have since moved on from Fable, to Red Dead Redemption. It fits my needs quite wonderfully.

As for my thoughts on gayness, well personally I don't know how to describe it. You see, I come from the south, the deep south. You know, where everyone around here is racist, ignorant, and believes in absolutely nothing but Christianity? I ain't no different, I grew up around Christians, I grew up around rednecks and racist folks, I grew up with nothing but prejudice influencing me. I know it sounds dumb, but I practically grew up to hate gays. My cousins and brother hate it, so they influence me, etc etc... it's not that I choose to - that's just the way I grew up. Now, I ain't racist, cause I grew up with other-racial friends. I never met a gay guy until High School, who I absolutely hated (only fueling my hate for them more).

Don't blame me, blame influence.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
No problem, good sir. I respect everyones opinion. Mostly. Sometimes. When it's convenient for me. (Ha ha!) On that note: Hold on a second there. Swords are all kinds of manly. Men were men way before guns existed, before man-made explosions were even possible, and men can be men without women. It isn't manly 'stuff' that makes a man. It's grit and pride. I don't need any bull**** trappings or accessories to help me validate myself and neither does anyone else.
Fable wasn't geared towards men or women in particular. It was geared towards people who liked action RPG's in a medieval fantasy setting. Nowadays its appeal leans more towards casual gamers... but that's besides the point. A man isn't less of a man simply because he wants to play a game in which he kills dragons. Much in the same way that a man isn't more of a man because he watches football. Those are only interests. Things like that don't define us as individuals. I treat others with respect, I try not to shoot my mouth off on things I know nothing about, and I try to be responsible and reliable for my friends and family. THAT'S what I think a man is.

I'm just saying. Don't judge based on superficial appearances. We're all free to like whatever we want. It doesn't change who we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.