• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Lionhead needs to work on their storylines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zangash

Reaction score
In Fable 2 and 3, I honestly did not care about any of the characters. I just wasn't engaged, and it was largely due to the fact that they didn't have us form any real relationships with the characters.

I could probably write a storyline far more engaging than the stuff we've been given so far. I wouldn't even need to use Jack of Blades. Forget all the king stuff, we should go back to the "I'm a Hero bada$$ and I can be whatever I wanna be!" stuff. You know, the stuff Fable was originally based on.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Pretty much, yah.

Recycled Human

Reaction score
You should open up a company called Brool Story Co.

Rofl. And I quite rarely rofl.

OT : so you're saying the fable franchise is based on the theme 'i'm a hero bada$$ and I can be whatever I want to be'? If this were all it was based around then how did the other two fail? You didn't feel connected to rose in f2? Or the dog that stands by your side the entire adventure only to make the ultimate sacrifice?

The only character in fable 2 that I can remotely agree with you on is Garth as he was the most cliche and static. The others were original and endearing. Theresa with her cryptic words and manipulative acts all for the greater good. Hammer, the large woman (you just don't ever see large women anywhere) internally conflicted about her life as a pacifist and her journey through the battlefield of faith. Reaver, the pompous prat who gets caught in a triple cross, flamboyant and fun and malicious (there's no shortage of flamboyant malicious characters but none quite as well played). Even Lucien had an interesting story. Rose who never looked down on you, always tried to take care of you and had a silly dream that went horribly wrong. When you write a better story I will be more than happy to be the first in line to read it because fable 2 was top notch in my opinion.

Fable 3 had Walter. Please, please show me a better tragic character. How can you feel nothin for Walter, who deserves a place for the most dramatic character in a video game. I don't think any character has ever been so perfectly scripted. I think the only other tragic death that competes is the death of zack in crisis core and he was the MAIN character! And he's only good because of the phone call he takes rich before shix hits the fan!

Shoe

Reaction score
Fable 3 had Walter. Please, please show me a better tragic character. How can you feel nothin for Walter, who deserves a place for the most dramatic character in a video game. I don't think any character has ever been so perfectly scripted. I think the only other tragic death that competes is the death of zack in crisis core and he was the MAIN character! And he's only good because of the phone call he takes rich before shix hits the fan!

You've done me proud, boy... you've always done me proud... :'(

Recycled Human

Reaction score
You've done me proud, boy... you've always done me proud... :'(

In the beginning of the game Walter teaches you to fight and uses a memory from your past where your character says 'teach me to be a hero'. This gives the first meaning of the phrase which is quite literal, as he instructs you in breaking his sword. But that's not the real meaning of the phrase, you only discover the real theme of these games at the part where Walter is dying at your characters hand and your character is holding his mentor and possibly your real father figure (as they've made your real parent into a distant memory) and he asks the same phrase again. 'do you remember what you would say?' Being a hero is not easy and yes the main character has done Walter proud.

I think it's a pretty good tie in to fable 2 considering your kid in Fable 2 would always ask about being a hero when they grew up.

If you'd like I could give you an in depth analysis of Walter as a literary character where I compare him to Mercutio, which is Shakespeare...famous for tragic deaths... =)

callycap3

The Iron Marquis
Reaction score
thing is, Fable 1 was great because you did feel like the most powerful hero in the world, but the most important thing in any story is the journey. Think about it, Star Wars would be crap if Luke was a bada$$ Jedi from the start and if Han was pure and willing to fight for the rebellion from the start.

That's why Fable 3 got it right on the money - the journey was very well done. You became more powerful, got more followers and were taken down the Road to Rule. My only big complaint about the Fable 2 story was the weak ending.

I for one appreciate the focus shift from "I'm a big bada$$ hero and the world revolves around me" to "I really have to think about this choice" - think about the big choice in Fable 1. Do you kill your sister and get a powerful sword, or allow her to live? Selfish, predictable, un-epic. Think about the big choice in Fable 2. Now we are on to something. Save your dog and family or save thousands? (I'm ignoring the million gold thing coz if you aren't a millionaire by that point anyway, you dont know how to play Fable 2.)
And obviously Fable 3 waves the important choices in your face from the start. I mean, the whole Elise thing at the beginnning - brilliant.

Zangash

Reaction score
Rofl. And I quite rarely rofl.

OT : so you're saying the fable franchise is based on the theme 'i'm a hero bada$$ and I can be whatever I want to be'? If this were all it was based around then how did the other two fail? You didn't feel connected to rose in f2? Or the dog that stands by your side the entire adventure only to make the ultimate sacrifice?
I did indeed feel a bit of a connection to Rose, but the dog really never connected with me 'till it died, and that was when I realized I couldn't dig anything else up. In Fable 3, it failed because you are more or less forced to be good, even when taking the evil choices.

The only character in fable 2 that I can remotely agree with you on is Garth as he was the most cliche and static. The others were original and endearing. Theresa with her cryptic words and manipulative acts all for the greater good. Hammer, the large woman (you just don't ever see large women anywhere) internally conflicted about her life as a pacifist and her journey through the battlefield of faith. Reaver, the pompous prat who gets caught in a triple cross, flamboyant and fun and malicious (there's no shortage of flamboyant malicious characters but none quite as well played). Even Lucien had an interesting story. Rose who never looked down on you, always tried to take care of you and had a silly dream that went horribly wrong. When you write a better story I will be more than happy to be the first in line to read it because fable 2 was top notch in my opinion.

I think the main driving force in Fable 2 was Theresa. Reaver was good, but his performance in F3 was actually far better. Caring for him as a character was really hard to do, but he is still a stroke of genius. Since you're calling me out on it, would you like me to write the story chapter by chapter like they do on Fanfiction or do you want me to write the entire thing before I post it?

The thing about Walter is you could only truly care about him if you were a good guy. Him pushing me into rebellion and wanting to stop Logan because he was killing people, despite my tendencies to be a mass murderer, really annoyed. His responses to my choices after I made them really disconnected me from him, as well. It was pretty clear that I should not be friends with this man, yet for some reason he was always at my right hand. I think they should have made him more like Whisper. If you chose good guy quests, she would take the bad guy one just to fight you. She was a friend who didn't lean towards one side or the other, and everything about her, from the nickname she gave you to the way she begged for her life, really hit a lot closer to home than Walter did.

I'm serious about the storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.