• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

(MOD) Bandit Animations

Bandit

Reaction score
I have downloaded a mod which changes the morph of Hero to a bandit, however the only animation that doesnt work is the walking animation.
Anyone have any idea how to maybe switch stealth to walk?

JohnDoe

Reaction score
The fastest, easiest, simplest way to do this is with a hex editor. It's improper and downright sloppy, but that's the method I've had the most success with.

The procedure is simple if tedious. Go into Fable Explorer, CREATURE>CREATURE_HERO (1470 if I remember correctly), open the tree view in the entry, click CDefs, up near the top you'll see a link to CAppearanceDef. Click it to open that entry. Extract the raw data. Keep the entry open. Go to graphics.big and identify the ID #s of every animation pertaining to the hero walking, and the bandit walking (FableExplorer w/Search or the "Shadownet" version will be helpful for this). Keeping those ID #s on hand, open the extracted CAppearanceDef file in the hex editor. Replace all instances of the hero animation ID with the corresponding bandit animation ID. Save, close hex editor. Back in FableExplorer, import the edited raw data in the CAppearanceDef entry.

Like many things in Fable modding, it's easier to actually do it than explain it.

Bandits are a premium choice for swapping because they have so many existing animations, bone configurations, different meshes and each mesh comes with different textures. A conversion mod has potential to be done quite proper. Hopefully the mod you're using comes with my mesh swap fix, as this will fix many issues arising from using models other than the Hero's.

Bandit

Reaction score
The fastest, easiest, simplest way to do this is with a hex editor. It's improper and downright sloppy, but that's the method I've had the most success with.

The procedure is simple if tedious. Go into Fable Explorer, CREATURE>CREATURE_HERO (1470 if I remember correctly), open the tree view in the entry, click CDefs, up near the top you'll see a link to CAppearanceDef. Click it to open that entry. Extract the raw data. Keep the entry open. Go to graphics.big and identify the ID #s of every animation pertaining to the hero walking, and the bandit walking (FableExplorer w/Search or the "Shadownet" version will be helpful for this). Keeping those ID #s on hand, open the extracted CAppearanceDef file in the hex editor. Replace all instances of the hero animation ID with the corresponding bandit animation ID. Save, close hex editor. Back in FableExplorer, import the edited raw data in the CAppearanceDef entry.

Like many things in Fable modding, it's easier to actually do it than explain it.

Bandits are a premium choice for swapping because they have so many existing animations, bone configurations, different meshes and each mesh comes with different textures. A conversion mod has potential to be done quite proper. Hopefully the mod you're using comes with my mesh swap fix, as this will fix many issues arising from using models other than the Hero's.
Will you be releasing a mod such as? Im going to give it a try but Im still learning how to use everything, Im able to get data entry for CAppearance Hero and Bandit and can put it up with CAppearance Def Tool. But I am lowsy when it comes to identitfying anything on there.

JohnDoe

Reaction score
Not me, no, I'm retired. I not only don't have the game, I don't own a device that can play it let alone mod it.

I wouldn't mess with the CAppearanceDef tool. Hex editing is faster, easier and more thorough if done properly. And using FableExplorer as a guide you can map out which animations need to be replaced with which. It's tedium but not difficult.