• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Must have XBox Gold Account for Multiplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swolecat

Reaction score
I don't play online much at all for any game, but every time I approach anything in the "online room" in the Sanctuary, it tells me I must have an XBox Live Gold membership. Am I missing something?

Swolecat

Reaction score
I am not sure, it says I'm a free member on the Xbox website

ForcedDj

Reaction score
You need XBL Gold. So, either forget multiplayer, or pay $10/$25/$60 for XBL Gold.

Erin Sherrick

Reaction score
That means that you are a silver account. You would need to buy the gold membership. This can be done in different ways. You can pay with a credit card, by buying a card from a store (has the gold membership code on it), or from the xbox website. There are 3 different types of gold memberships. 1 year ($59.99), 3 months ($24.99), and 1 month ($9.99).

Swolecat

Reaction score
Thankyou both, that's crazy to me. Now I know why I like PS3 so much :lol:

ForcedDj

Reaction score
I actually expect Microsoft to decrease the cost of XBL, but when Kinect came out, they just increased it. No offense, but when the PS3 has Steamworks(Portal 2), Netflix, and Hulu for no extra cost, they should rethink the cost of XBL gold.

CodoDeMono

Reaction score
I actually expect Microsoft to decrease the cost of XBL, but when Kinect came out, they just increased it. No offense, but when the PS3 has Steamworks(Portal 2), Netflix, and Hulu for no extra cost, they should rethink the cost of XBL gold.

I don't know, XBL does offer a lot of good stuff. Zune, LastFM, ESPN (especially the ondemand events), Netflix plus all the games I play online seems worth the $10/month I pay.

ForcedDj

Reaction score
Zune: No opinion
LastFM: Again, I am not a fan of that, and new music.
ESPN: PS3 may have it soon.
Netflix: PSN has it, Wii online has it, both require the netflix cost only.

I am not asking them to make XBL free, I am just questioning that it costs more now instead of being less per month/3 months/year.

Swolecat

Reaction score
What is Zune? Also, is Netflix free with XBox Live Gold or something? I'm sorry, I don't know anything about XBox Live :(. It's just my opinion, but the bells and whistles don't matter. I just want to be able to play online, and PS3 offers it for nothing, not $10/month :/

ForcedDj

Reaction score
Zune is Microsoft's answer to iPod/iTunes. It didn't do bad, but not groundbreaking. Netflix costs money, and no its not free with XBL Gold.

But the time when you can play online for free with XBL is when either hell freezes over or when MS stops being greedy, or when the other 2 have better online than MS.

Alucard Nightraven

Reaction score
You do realize that Sony has already stated that they are going to be charging for PSN soon and about the XBL Gold just pay attention to the Spotlight section on the dashboard, they always have some kind of deal going on for it.

ForcedDj

Reaction score
PSN+ is somewhat like XBL Gold, but apparently Sony will keep online multiplayer free. They offer free games(full for a while I think), and other things I never heard about, but multiplayer is still free.

Swolecat

Reaction score
Zune is Microsoft's answer to iPod/iTunes. It didn't do bad, but not groundbreaking. Netflix costs money, and no its not free with XBL Gold.
But the time when you can play online for free with XBL is when either hell freezes over or when MS stops being greedy, or when the other 2 have better online than MS.
Thanks, yeah I've never heard of Zune, I don't think Apple has anything to worry about if that is their competition.

You do realize that Sony has already stated that they are going to be charging for PSN soon and about the XBL Gold just pay attention to the Spotlight section on the dashboard, they always have some kind of deal going on for it.
Yeah, I just saw a deal for %25 off for a year's membership, but it's still not worth it to me. The only thing that I would use is the ability to play online with friends, and I do it so seldom that it doesn't make any sense to pay even a low fee for it when PS3 is free.
I hope you're wrong about PS3 starting to charge, but I guess I should look into that.

PSN+ is somewhat like XBL Gold, but apparently Sony will keep online multiplayer free. They offer free games(full for a while I think), and other things I never heard about, but multiplayer is still free.

If they just keep the online multiplayer free, I'm ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.