• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

My Fable IV Ideas

Spockness

Reaction score
After seeing a few other threads posting about Fable IV ideas on this site, I wanted to make my own in order to lay out all of my ideas for a potential sequel. Rather than giving them in one huge post, I'll split them into small pieces so that they can be digested easier.

Here are the basics I will cover:
1.The Premise and You
2.The World
3.Combat and Enemies
4.Weapons
5.Weapon Morphing
6.Magic and Exp
7.Social Interaction (Marriage, NPCs, etc)
8. Menu and UI systems
9.The Guild System

Spockness

Reaction score
1. The Premise and You
The beginning of the game should start a few years after the end of Fable the Journey. The main character of that game, Gabriel, foresees that a powerful existence will come from the Void and threaten Albion and the countries surrounding it. Realizing that he can't stop it by himself, he finds that a certain child of Archon's bloodline will recreate the Hero's Guild and destroy this being. Finding you (this is where the first choice of the game comes, allowing you to pick which city you are born in, and thus the activities that you will do as a child before he finds you) he trains you to become a Hero and sets you off to create the guild. Along the way, you meet various other characters who will help you create the Guild and become it's founding members. Also have characters from the other games, such as Garth and the Hero of Brightwall, to play a part in this story as well.

Spockness

Reaction score
2. The World
Rather than have the game world consist of a bunch of corridors and loading screens, the game world for Fable 4 should be one of two things: either like the Assassin's Creed Games, which are composed of a few large zones which encompass most of the game, or like Rockstar open world games, such as Red Dead Redemption of GTA, which is pretty much just one big zone. A new engine will probably be needed to do this (which is probably going to be the case anyway, considering the game will most likely be on the next generation of consoles, so new engine would be a good idea). All of Albion should be explorable, and towns from previous games, such as Hook Coast and Knothole Glade from the first game, should be revisited. Also include countries other than Albion, such as Samarkand, Aurora, and etc.

Spockness

Reaction score
3. Combat and Enemies
As the combat in the recent Fables has gotten increasingly easier and gun focused, the gameplay in 4 should balance out melee and ranged fighting styles. Enemies should have the ability to deflect and avoid bullets, in order to limit the effectiveness of guns, and melee combat should include a block breaking ability and easier counter attacking. Maybe take a page out of the Assassins creed combat system (which is pretty good) and have grabs, disarms, counter-grabs, stuns, and others to beef up melee combat. Enemies should be more fierce as well, attacking more often and with some strategy, as well as being able to do all things melee wise that you can do to them (should only apply to human enemies).

Enemy types should include all previous enemy types from all the games so far, including trolls. Also, the game should have giant boss monsters, to provide an even greater challenge.

Spockness

Reaction score
4.Weapons
Weapons should include the following types (possibly have even more than just this):
Swords, Axes, Maces, Great Swords, Great Axes, Great Maces, Polearms (Spears and halberds and such),rifles, pistols, shotguns, blunderbusses, crossbows, and bows (could be rare and only be found in certain parts of the world).
Edit: Possibly add in throwing weapons into the mix, including along with guns and other ranged types, throwing knives, axes, primitive grenades, and others.
Each weapon type should have different combat animations, so that they do not feel the same.

Melee weapons and Ranged gun weapons should come in the following types: Rusty, Iron, Steel, Obsidian, Steam, Master, and Legendary, and guns should be in these variants: Clockwork, turret, and flintlock (flintlock should take a long time to reload, and be given to the player at the start, to out more emphasis on the need for melee combat)

Ranged bow/crossbow weapons should come in these types: Splintered, Yew, Oak, Ebony, Master, Legendary
The variants for the crossbow should be: light, repeater, and heavy.

5.Weapon Morphing
Instead of having weapon morphing only affect the Hero weapon, all weapons should be affected by this through augmentations. Augmentations should not only give your weapon extra abilities, (such as damage, health regen, etc), but change the look of your weapons. Higher weapons types should get more augmentations, with rusty/ splintered and iron/yew having no augmentation slots, and master weapons having 3-4, with each augmentation affecting a different part of the weapon(the hilt, the blade, the handle, etc.). Legendary weapons should be equipped with unique augmentations, and thus have a unique look, different from the other augmentable weapons.

Spockness

Reaction score
6. Magic and EXP
Magic should either come from Will, like it did in Fable 1 and 2, or remain as spell gauntlets. The magic system should be more similar to Fable 1's, and should not consist of all chargeable area of effect spells,as those are overpowered. Spells like Assassin's rush and Berserk, should make a reappearance, and new spells should be added, maybe flight or invisibility.
Also bring back a health bar and a mana bar, for obvious reasons.\

XP should make a return to the series, instead of the road to rule system in Fable 3. Leveling up should be like Fable 1 and Fable 2, using XP to upgrade certain abilities and spells.

Spockness

Reaction score
7. Social Interaction
The social elements from previous games should be downplayed a lot, as they were rather pointless. Rather than giving each NPC a "personality" and allowing you to fart in their face, remove this system and also increase the number of NPC's in the area. Marriage should also be limited to a select number of NPCs, mostly guildmates and special side characters who have actual depth to them. Romancing should be similar to Bioware titles allowing you to pick your responses to talk with them. In fact, all talking in the game should allow you to pick responses in such a way. Rather than having a dog as your companion, allow for a selection of animals to accompany you: from a falcon, to a giant beetle, to a bear, etc. Give more variety to your pet interaction as well.

Clothing should work like it has in Fable 2 and Fable 3, but have far more customization and dye patterns.

8. Menu and UI Systems
A traditional menu should be put in place instead of Fable 3's awkward one. Also allow a quick menu, as seen in Fable 1 and Fable 2, so that you can swap equipment and items easily. Instead of a golden trail return to a minimap system, as well as a simpler general map system, so that you can find things more easily.

Spockness

Reaction score
9. Guild System
This is probably the biggest change I have for the game. For the Heroes' Guild, I am thinking about a mixture of the Assassin's creed guild system and a city builder. When you establish the Heroes' Guild (which will be in the same place it was in Fable 2). You must use money to refurbish it and can place additional buildings in the surrounding area(dormitories, in order to house your guildmates, servants quarters, bars, training fields) and make improvements to the these buildings as well, as long as you have the money for it. You can also request Guild teleporters to be either reopened or built in towns, depending on your renown, money supply, and relations with each area.

In order to attract more potential heroes, the Guild must have money and renown. The Guild gains money by sending Heroes on quests throughout Albion(and maybe other continents), which increases both the Guild's renown and the renown of the Heroes you sent. The Guild's renown factors in a fraction of your renown, and a fraction of the renown of your guild members. The more renown you have, the more guild members you will gain. The type of recruits you earn, and the quests your recieve will come from what kind of individual you are. For example, if you are evil and corrupt, you will get mostly evil and corrupt recruits and evil quests, such as massacring villages, extortion, and such. If you are good and pure, you will get mostly good quests. Certain events will occur, such as Guild betrayals and relations with nearby towns rising or falling, which you must act upon and decide what to do about them.

These are my main ideas for the game. If you can add anything, or give some feedback on them, it would be much appreciated.

Ss x Britain

Reaction score
This is a massive thread and I think you haave scared off most members haha
This is a tough thing to reply too...
Story
Who i this miraculously discovered bloodline relative?
By the end of The Journey, the only surviving member of the bloodline is stuck in the empress' dungeon in Samarkhand waiting for rescue unless of course Layla is pregnant or Lagan wasnt executed.
Are you just going to ignore the fact that Reaver is still ruling albion whilst the true king is missing?
And what great existance? Wouldn't it have been mentioned before now?
World
An open world such like that of Elderscrolls, GTA and Assassins Creed is far too ambitious for fable. To simply change the whole fable landscape and graphics would be to recreate the game. It wouldn't be Fable anymore; it would be mor like a lesser Elderscrolls game.
To ask Lionhead to incorporate the countries surrounding Albion at well as Albion itself would be like asking DA to feature the whole of Tamriel or asking DA to use the whole of Thedas.
Combat
I agree with you.
Guns are far too effective. Perhaps the incorporation of ammo would discourage the player from overusing a gun and make the game that bit more challenging? No one can just deflect a bullet in an 18th century fantasy setting unless able to use will.
Also, all trolls in Albion are extict. They were culled by decree of Logan.
Weapons
I agree again with most of what you said. Fable 3 lacked weapon choice and it certainly needs addressing.
I love the spears idea btw.
I'd like to disagree with the Legendary category. I think "legendary" weapons should be accessable throughout the game. Hammerthyst was a "legendary" weapon due to it's past not it's quality and was available at the near start of Fable 2 for example. I'd like legendary weapons to have that rare quality about them; they should be valued as rare equipment again.
Weapon Morphing
Good ideas but ideas!
I'd like low quality weapons to be easier to morph and augment but have less impact on the change and higher quality weapons should be difficult to augment and morph but it deserves a higher reward. (I hope that makes sense).
Legendary Weapons should come with a unique augment (challenge) or offer a higher reward?
Exp and Magic (in one category?)
No, I believe ivisibility should be a skill perk (stealth)
One member suggested "Transform Dog" and although transformation is limited to either Jackala or Balverine, it sounds so cool, agreed? It makes the pet a little more useful in my opinion..
All spells should be chargable but your body should be more prone to damage when casting. Don't deny people the big maxed out spells!!
Yes, bring back the Fable TLC mana bar! It stops players from overusing magic due to the reliance on mana potions.
Health bar? I'm not too fussed.. I like thinking "uh oh.. Can i take another hit?"
I really liked the Road To Rule idea. It was a big change but I like how they sort of physically manefested the idea of Journey throughout thegame. Perhaps exp can be used as currency again instead of lame "guild seals" and the chests could be bought by Strength, Skill and Will again. It does need tweeking a little.
I miss armor but unfortunately, I cannot see it being restored :(
Social Interaction
I completely disagree with what you have said. Why not just bye Elderscrolls Skyrim?!
Fable 2 had it spot on in my opinion. The expression system made the game stand out among other RPGs. It featured something new and unique and made the game more personal. It should be more of a focus for haggling, sweet talking, romancing and intimidating.
Yes, i believe a pet should be chosen at the beginning during customization. I'd lik it to be similar to Black And White; "choose one of the three animals".. Each animal should have a personality that matches your own.
Menu and UI
I like the breadcrumb/golden trail.. No games that i know of have one. A minimap is useful and it could be used with a breadcrumb trail though both should be optional through the options menu.
I like the Sanctuary and even though Reaver currently has residence, it's more exciting than a menu and is like a portable chest.. Makes moresense than a hero that can carry a ton of weapons. Perhaps this quick menu shut be a hotkey system labeled backpack or satchel like in th old Ratchet and Clank games and can be changed through in the Sanctuary.
Guild System
I think most fable players want this restored. I have had the same thoughts on this taken from Assassins Creed.
The guild should be set up by a small company of heroes.. Perhaps th ones that oppose Reaver's rule.
The guilds actions should be determined by the heroe through choices.
Heroes should improve in physique as the game progresses.
Perhaps the guild shouldn't be rebuilt right beside "90210" millfields...
The hero should invest in theguild and it should grow in leaps like the towns of fable 2 changed after the time spent in the spire?

I've tried to give my opinion and address your ideas haha
more members should take the trouble to read and answer this post... *cough*.. Dark Intellect *cough* ;|

Spockness

Reaction score
Story:
I'm thinking for the story that you can either retcon some parts of it to allow for it to happen, or change some other things so it makes sense. "unless of course Layla is pregnant or Logan wasnt executed." These two ideas would be excellent.
"Are you just going to ignore the fact that Reaver is still ruling albion whilst the true king is missing?"
That could be a feature in there. Have you try building a guild while he's in charge. A lot of good ideas can come from that.
"And what great existance? Wouldn't it have been mentioned before now?" Well, they can always create something. Maybe take some unknown creature not given that much information in the lore and flesh it out. It doesn't really have to be in the Void, that was just an option. It could come from anywhere, maybe make it a threat that is dealt with in multiple games, like the Reapers in Mass Effect.
World
"An open world such like that of Elderscrolls, GTA and Assassins Creed is far too ambitious for fable. To simply change the whole fable landscape and graphics would be to recreate the game. It wouldn't be Fable anymore; it would be mor like a lesser Elderscrolls game.
To ask Lionhead to incorporate the countries surrounding Albion at well as Albion itself would be like asking DA to feature the whole of Tamriel or asking DA to use the whole of Thedas."
The thing is, if other games could do this, Fable can do it too. They have the resources. All they would have to do is create a new engine for the game. Considering this will hopefully be on next gen systems, that's not such a wild idea. I don't see how it would not be Fable. If it still contains the art style of Fable and the feel of the games, it'll be the same. And Albion is just a country, as far as I know. Tamriel is a whole continent. Plus Zenimax is going to use the whole of Tamriel for the Elder Scrolls Online, so I don't know how that's a problem.
Combat
"Guns are far too effective. Perhaps the incorporation of ammo would discourage the player from overusing a gun and make the game that bit more challenging? No one can just deflect a bullet in an 18th century fantasy setting unless able to use will."
Well, maybe have guns be inaccurate and slow to reload. Like I said in one of these posts. That way, in order for you to get a kill with a gun, you should be close range and use it at the end of a melee combo. It would also make bows and crossbows better alternatives. The ammo system you mentioned is probable a good idea too.
"Also, all trolls in Albion are extinct. They were culled by decree of Logan."
Retcon that. Maybe make it so that a small amount of Trolls survived his order. Perhaps even have a quest where you have to kill off the rest of them.
Weapons
"I'd like to disagree with the Legendary category. I think "legendary" weapons should be accessable throughout the game. Hammerthyst was a "legendary" weapon due to it's past not it's quality and was available at the near start of Fable 2 for example. I'd like legendary weapons to have that rare quality about them; they should be valued as rare equipment again."
I'm not saying that legendary weapons need to be top-tier. I just listed it at the end for the sake of the list. Have a few legendary weapons at the start like in the Fable 1 and 2, but have the best ones be endgame gear. And still have the other weapon types.
Weapon Morphing
"I'd like low quality weapons to be easier to morph and augment but have less impact on the change and higher quality weapons should be difficult to augment and morph but it deserves a higher reward. (I hope that makes sense)."
Do you mean that the weapon augments should be implemented by chance? Maybe make it so that you can fail to augment successfully? That's a good idea. But if they did that, they would either need to make augments cheaper to buy, in case you kept failing to augment a weapon and then lost you augment, or make failing to augment a weapon give lower stats than you would get if you augmented successfully.
Magic
"All spells should be chargable but your body should be more prone to damage when casting. Don't deny people the big maxed out spells!!"
The thing about having each spell be chargeable is that there a lot less spells, due to each spell being versatile. Plus, it kind of screws over constant spread spells, like lightning in Fable 1. Maybe have charge variants for certain spells, but just have more spells available.
Social Interaction
"Fable 2 had it spot on in my opinion. The expression system made the game stand out among other RPGs. It featured something new and unique and made the game more personal. It should be more of a focus for haggling, sweet talking, romancing and intimidating."
The thing about this is, that in Fable 2, the expression system is highly exploitative. Someone doesn't like you? Keep dancing for them for 5 minutes until they do. It was very easy to do stupid things for other people to get benefits. If you want to make someone like you, you should do it through your actions or you responses to them through a dialogue system.
Menu and UI
"I like the breadcrumb/golden trail.. No games that i know of have one."
The golden breadcrumb trail, at least for me and a few others, tended to glitch out some of the time. But maybe having both a minimap and the trail, like you said, would be better, and have both be optional.
"I like the Sanctuary and even though Reaver currently has residence, it's more exciting than a menu and is like a portable chest.. Makes more sense than a hero that can carry a ton of weapons. Perhaps this quick menu shut be a hotkey system labeled backpack or satchel like in the old Ratchet and Clank games and can be changed through in the Sanctuary."
I don't really see how being able to go to the Sanctuary whenever you wanted to made that much sense. Then again, I don't see how being able to pause the game and go into an inventory makes much sense either, so I guess that doesn't really matter. The thing about the Sanctuary was that it was very tedious to access your items on the fly, it was much better for fooling around in that for quick decisions. If Sanctuary is going to be added into Fable 4, it should be just one room (a large one), and give you access to everything you need quickly and easily.

Thanks for giving me your opinions. I'm glad someone took the time to read my huge posts. I just had a lot of ideas that I wanted to talk about.

Ss x Britain

Reaction score
I think I read it 5 times in the space of a week but didn't have the time to reply haha.
Great ideas there btw.
With these new countries their's no need to bring back trolls in albion. If more regions are added, more enemy types would be encountered.. Dragons, Jackalas, nymphs etc
The great existance good be a certain uncomfirmed King Of Blades..
No, with the augments, I meant that their effectiveness/power/magical charge should be lower for low quality weapons and higher for higher quality ones. Maybe a challenge must be done like the weapons in Fable 3. Easy challenge for weak augmentations and tough challenges for powerful augmentations..
Personally, I believe the story should be about Gabriel finding a way to get the Hero out of the palace dungeon, retaking the throne and finding a way to unite albion with the rest of the world. This would mirror our 18th century reality when globalisation took off so it's a likely scenerio.

Spockness

Reaction score
I don't think that the main story of Fable should be about retaking the throne. We've already played as the Hero of Brightwall. We should play as someone different. I think that maybe Reaver should be the "ruler" for the first half of the game, and then have the option to have the Hero of Brightwall depose him, if and when you save him. And instead of an outright revolution, like in Fable 3, just have some sneaky, shadowy plots in order to keep the throne in either Reaver's hands or put it back in that hands of the Hero's. Depending on who you back would decide whether the country would open up to the rest of the world, or be isolated.

Ss x Britain

Reaction score
I believe that Reaver has more of a plan than to just sieze the throne and enforce child labour.. Remember that he seeks immortality and still serves The Shadow Court.. That court claimed the lives of everyone in Oakvale which is a town very important to the Fable universe. I just find that Reaver is a far more important character than everyone realises! He's the only surviving hero other than Garth and the Hero Of Brightwall.. The Hero Of Skill no less and he has been around for well over 200 years and he is currently the most powerful person in Albion.

BELTHAZOR

Reaction score
U SHOULD BE ABLE TO THROW ENERGY BALLS IN THIS FABLE AND INSTED OF THAT STUPID ORB THING LIKE IN FABLE ONE U SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DO 2 DIIFERNT THINGS LIKE IF U ARE GOOD THEN U SHOULD BE ABLE TO ORB AND IF U ARE EVIL U SHOUD BE ABLE TO LIKEFLAME OUT YOU KNOW LIKE U SEE A BUNCH OF FLAMES AND THEN U ARE TRANSPORTED TO WHERE EVER U WANT TO GO

TheCourt

Reaction score
Yeah.......ummmmmm......all I can truly say is that most of these ideas would be awesome.
there's one I want to bring up as well.
Just one.
Having your children grow up to either fight along side you, or them goin by themselves in quest of their own. And you could probably meet them in some of your quests.
You could also have a match up pair like in fire elblem to make your kid strong.