• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Zealand Music

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Alright, so here in New Zealand, New Zealand has a "New Zealand music month" or some **** like that, its not actually that time of the year yet, or whenever it is.. But Im listening to some of "New Zealands" music, and it is soooooo ****!

It seems that New Zealanders have to try make themselves so Original and unique and the fact they're such a small country they brag about it and raddy raddy raaaaaa..

I dont see how people can be so proud of it, its so boring, and just un-original.. I mean we do have SOOOOME good bands, but majority of it is horrible.

Does anybody like/know New Zealand music?

Or does your country or area do something similar? ("*Insert area* Music month")

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
So is it like... NZ bands or folk music?

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
I love Kimbra and Gin Wigmore! Judging from them two New Zealand has a good music scene going.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
A quick check from Wikipedia didn't reveal any NZ bands I'm familiar with (though I've heard the names).

Ladyhawke - Magic is a good song, but the band overall ain't that great.

I know Aussies have some good bands (The Butterfly Effect) and always assumed NZ had similar music. If it's an insult similar to "Canada is 'Mericns" then I apologize.

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score
Did someone say New Zealand music? NEW ZEALAND METAL!

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Or does your country or area do something similar? ("*Insert area* Music month")

Liverpool is renowned for its music we don't have a month dedicated to music but we do have the Mathew street festival every year. Famous bands that I know of from my city are The Beatles, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Zutons, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, A Flock Of Seagulls, Atomic Kitten etc.

And whats wrong with Kimbra & Gin Wigmore eh?! :sly:

MissAlbion89

Hero Of Albion
Reaction score
KIMBRAAAA! Absolutely love her, and did so before she made it somewhat big when she collaborated with Gotye. Vows is a great album. And I don't know if it counts, but Lord of the Rings soundtrack... ;).

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Liverpool is renowned for its music we don't have a month dedicated to music but we do have the Mathew street festival every year. Famous bands that I know of from my city are The Beatles, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Zutons, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, A Flock Of Seagulls, Atomic Kitten etc.

And whats wrong with Kimbra & Gin Wigmore eh?! :sly:

Everyone in NZ espceially the girls, jumped on the band wagon as soon as she got famous, nobody knew her until that Gotye song, and she's boring, unoriginal and songs sound pretty freakin similar (The ones I heard).. Obviously this isnt going to go anywhere because its an opinionated thread, but if you all agreed with me, then the world would be a much happier place. :D

Haha, I kiddddd..

MissAlbion89

Hero Of Albion
Reaction score
*Cough* I knew her before that, found out about her about a year and a half ago and loved her, next thing you know she's on my TV covered in paint :L. But yeah, NZ doesn't really have a great music scene, but it does have Peter Jackson, so that's good enough for me. Would absolutely kill to live there, or even just visit someday :).

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
*Cough* I knew her before that, found out about her about a year and a half ago and loved her, next thing you know she's on my TV covered in paint :L. But yeah, NZ doesn't really have a great music scene, but it does have Peter Jackson, so that's good enough for me. Would absolutely kill to live there, or even just visit someday :).

Yeah I read before, sorry didnt acknowledge it or anything.. Fair enough, I know she'll be gone pretty soon, so im not too worried on that side of the story.

You do know the place doesn't look like The Shire and that we don't have hobbits running around everywhere, right?

We have sheep, thats about it.

MissAlbion89

Hero Of Albion
Reaction score
Yeah I read before, sorry didnt acknowledge it or anything.. Fair enough, I know she'll be gone pretty soon, so im not too worried on that side of the story.

You do know the place doesn't look like The Shire and that we don't have hobbits running around everywhere, right?

We have sheep, thats about it.

Oh, i'm aware, but in my head, Hobbits EVERYWHERE :L.

Seriously though, it looks like a beautiful country. I have a cousin living there at the minute, and he says it's apparently a must see before you die :).

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Screw hobbits. Xena and Hercules were filmed in NZ.

As far as music goes, yeah, I guess I have to agree with you there, there isn't much.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in here and say that I know no music from New Zealand.

I also want to say that the comment in the OP about New Zealand's size is very politically incorrect. I, for one, believe that there exists no true ratio between the size of a country and whether or not I've listened to music that originates from it.

List of other countries whose music I am oblivious to:
Almost all of them.

Especially Rwanda.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
Yup. They're a Christian Metal band I do believe from Gisborne City.

Ah I see, I could only think of Australian musical bands when I came into this thread, now I know that one of them I like is New Zealandish.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Everyone knows that Australia claims all of New Zealand's best music acts. Tim and Neil Finn do alright, don't they?

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Everyone knows that Australia claims all of New Zealand's best music acts. Tim and Neil Finn do alright, don't they?
That's the sh*t im talking about! People think *insert sh*t band here*, Such as Tim and Neil finn are any good, they are frankly average as can be..