• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

[NEWS] Fable III getting In-Game-Microtransaction-Shops/

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbes_pwn

Man's Best Friend...Hobbe
Reaction score
[NEWS] Fable III getting In-Game-Microtransaction-Shops/

logo.gif

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2009/10/21/microtransactions-coming-to-fable-iii/

That Video Game Blog said:
Speaking at BAFTA’s Annual Video Games Lecture in London this evening, Peter Molyneux revealed that a microtransaction system will feature in Fable III.

During the speech, in which the veteran British games designer outlined his vision of the future of videogames, Molyneux announced that the forthcoming game in the Fable series will feature a in-game shop in which additional content will be available.

In Fable III’s shop, Molyneux is proposing that items such as swords will be available for a nominal fee of around £1, while access to new areas of the game environment - a notional ‘island’ was discussed, bringing to mind Fable II’s DLC Knothole Island - could cost more. Ultimately, the Lionhead boss and Microsoft Creative Director is looking to the store to provide a more harmonious relationship between a title and its downloadable content.

Later in the evening Molyneux responded to a question regarding industry retail models by revealing that Lionhead are even considering selling GameFAQs style Fable III walkthroughs in the store, though it should be noted that this is just one of many ideas being bounced around. And if there’s one thing Molyneux isn’t short of, it’s ideas.

Another article confirming Natal is optional, not compulsary

That Video Game Blog said:
Following a fair amount of speculation, Peter Molyneux has announced that Fable III will indeed utilize Project Natal technology.

Speaking at BAFTA’s Annual Video Games Lecture in London this evening, Molyneux revealed that he would be “crazy” not to take advantage of Natal’s motion sensing technology for the forthcoming Fable III. However, before you go getting all excited/angry about the prospect of diving around your living room Fable-style, don’t chuck your controller out the window yet. While Natal functionality will be used, Molyneux also said that “Fable III will be controller based, for sure.”

So what does all this mean? Well, with his PR manager giving him the evil eye from the audience (at one stage Molyneux joked that he would be assassinated onstage if he said too much), the Lionhead boss wasn’t willing to say make any revelations. However, it’s clear that while Fable III will control in a normal fashion, some commands will be optionally possible via Natal. We’re intrigued.

NATAL AND NOW THIS! MICROSOFT STOP MAKING US PAY MORE
Only cool thing is the guides

Daemon300

Premium
Reaction score
Re: [NEWS] Fable III getting In-Game-Microtransaction-Shops/

That is ****ing retarded.

hobbes_pwn

Man's Best Friend...Hobbe
Reaction score

i dunno i was fine with natal, but like to add this. I mean you buy these games thinking oh i won't pay any money for it, but somehow you spend alot. I worked out what is the next thing we need to find out... It is a WoW clone, or you can only download it in episodes.

I mean i don't mind it to have multiplayer features (that are free), but it has to have solo campaign.. :S

If lionhead made a completely new game not in the fable series, actually i don't mind a spin-off having these features, i would be meh. But don't ruin the main series.

I mean i am probably going to eventually buy some fable 2 avatar cloathing even thoughi ts such a waste

Mandaly

Hullabaloo
Reaction score

Oh man... does Microsoft own Lionhead? I caught myself almost paying money for clothes to put on my Xbox Live avatar... :sigh:

PhilistineEars

yep, definite Lurker
Premium
Reaction score

Well folks, the end of complete content gaming, after being bludgeoned, stabbed and burned to death by MICRO$OFT, is officially here... and replaced by pay-to-play gaming content... BULL%$IT

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Thing that has annoyed me over the years is the cost of games vs the replayability. In the early games i played they were cheap and lasted forever and became timeless classics. Then as newer consoles came out the games were quite expensive as they were new formats but could play them over and over for months. Gradually games started to get cheaper (which was good) but then the content started to get less and less and completion time got shorter and so did the replay value.

Then for whatever reason the games prices started going up again (COD MW2 is a good example) then there were peripherals thrown in that doubled the price of the games (Rock Band and Guitar Hero). Then they started releasing short games but with paid add-on packs which we all purchased because we enjoyed the games (which felt like half a game until you purchased the add-on packs) then they release a new game every year. Now they are adding third party software like Sony Home and Project Natal and upping prices even more. Before you know it they will be including peripherals AND Third party programs and the games prices will be nearly triple what they averaged before. Gone are the days when you paid £32 for a game and it lasted you months until you played it to death. Now its you pay around £40 for a short game then an add-on pack that extends it a little, then some avatar clothes for that game, then maybe some more packs followed by a sequel straight afterwards. Before you know it you have spent around £80-£90 on that one title.

3 games worth a mention that have deserved my extra money are (there are a couple more that i havent spent any extra on though):

Fallout 3

Hundreds of hours on single player and paid for lots of expansions.

Call Of Duty 4

Purchased my Xbox Live Gold for this alone and spent hundreds of hours on multiplayer.

Halo 3

For co-op campaign and purchased ODST for Firefight and 4 player co-op.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

If I have to pay for in-game content, I'm not buying this game. Microsoft can suck it. I'll wait for something better to come along.

sassy

isa
Premium
Reaction score

I hate to say that I'm one of the suckers that keep this crap going. I got my XBOX just for Fable, because someone I worked with told me how cool it was. I got my 360, yup just because I knew Fable 2 was coming. I have to say I loved Rockband 2 during the wait for Fable 2 and spent quite a bit of money on songs to add once I had played every song in the game at least once. I spent real money on F2 clothes for my avatar. I will buy F3 and play it and buy stuff to add to it if that's what it takes, just like I did for this one. I think that is why Microsoft bought Lionhead. They made an awesome game, followed it with the lost chapters release, then released it on PC. They knew that the people who played the original game would buy the lost chapters and eventually F2 and every sequel that follows because the first one was so good and we are all hoping that whatever comes next will be just as good or better. All to feed the addiction......Now that Microsoft controls the whole thing, we can only expect them to milk it for every penny they can.

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score

sassy;344430 said:
I hate to say that I'm one of the suckers that keep this crap going. I got my XBOX just for Fable, because someone I worked with told me how cool it was. I got my 360, yup just because I knew Fable 2 was coming. I have to say I loved Rockband 2 during the wait for Fable 2 and spent quite a bit of money on songs to add once I had played every song in the game at least once. I spent real money on F2 clothes for my avatar. I will buy F3 and play it and buy stuff to add to it if that's what it takes, just like I did for this one. I think that is why Microsoft bought Lionhead. They made an awesome game, followed it with the lost chapters release, then released it on PC. They knew that the people who played the original game would buy the lost chapters and eventually F2 and every sequel that follows because the first one was so good and we are all hoping that whatever comes next will be just as good or better. All to feed the addiction......Now that Microsoft controls the whole thing, we can only expect them to milk it for every penny they can.

This is me too, I am an extremely picky gamer,and fable is the one game that I can say that I have 7 completed profiles and one I just started, and that is just on my xbox 360, not to mention other peoples. The way I have 8 profiles is that I have an memory card and a hard drive. And the fable series is the only game series I'm really into right now.

Mandaly

Hullabaloo
Reaction score

Wow, I didn't know Microsoft really does own Lionhead. My worry is that Fable III just might not be as good as Fable II and therefore, wouldn't be worth all the extra money...or worse, they know its no good unless you buy all the extra stuff. They are already worth millions and millions of dollars... I had to wait 8 months after the game was released so I could buy it at a lower price on eBay... why? Because they are priced ridiculously high in the first place.

Rad

Old Name: Zencidal
Premium
Reaction score

This isn't something that would make me want to buy Natal just for Fable III, But waving my arms around like a mad man to do some commands could be fun...

AON of Greatnes

Man-Bane
Reaction score

sigh. you guys probly have a good idea how depressing reading all this is. fuc* it. its just so goddamn mother fuc*ing true. tell you whats good... Borderlands.. just got it today. thing was released in the u.s. nearly a week before ireland. fuc*in' f*gs. sigh. Christ im tired...

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score

yeah making us pay for something on the disk that we already bought is fu(king lame... i was ****ed when i learnt that halo 3 recon armour was on the disk but i could never have it (still needed to dish out an extra 70$ to get it like 2 years latter) but for swords that you will most likely need in game thats BS

and i still hate NATAL i dont want to be jumping around while playing games or have to do silly hand gestures, (wii im talking to you) a simple waggle is fine like in LoZ TP when you swing the sword and point and click is fine to for FPS but when your violently flailing your arms around just to do something when a simple press of a button can/could do its so not needed.

/rant

Evil Scarecrow

Da Evilist MaPhucca
Reaction score

paying money for in game items? **** off ill just play fable II till it disintegrates.

Psychosis

Reaction score

I can't say I'm overly happy about this idea. I mean, what about those of us who don't have Xbox Live? I'd willingly shell out an extra £10 for a special edition of Fable III that includes the downloadable content. I wasn't able to play the Knothole Island or See The Future add-ons thanks to not having Xbox Live, but I would definitely have bought them if they were released physically somehow.

Rad

Old Name: Zencidal
Premium
Reaction score

Psychosis;344713 said:
I can't say I'm overly happy about this idea. I mean, what about those of us who don't have Xbox Live? I'd willingly shell out an extra £10 for a special edition of Fable III that includes the downloadable content. I wasn't able to play the Knothole Island or See The Future add-ons thanks to not having Xbox Live, but I would definitely have bought them if they were released physically somehow.

I kinda liked what Oblivion did, at one point I didn't have xbox live, and Oblivion GOTY wasn't out. So I couldn't play shivering Isles and knights of the nine. But they were nice enough to sell them on a separate disk together at gamestop for only $20. That's something that Fable II should do, put both DLC's on a separate disk for people who don't have access to live like my friend.

Evil Scarecrow

Da Evilist MaPhucca
Reaction score

Psychosis;344713 said:
buy fable II GOTY. i did :)

Psychosis

Reaction score

Only just found out about Fable II GOTY. (I'm a little slow with things like that). All I can say is, brilliant.

The Pirate King

Never Cross A Pirate
Reaction score

Amazing, he thinks everyone in the world is rich.

PhilistineEars

yep, definite Lurker
Premium
Reaction score

I suppose the big question here is the equity between in-game items and those for which you must pay extra for. To have this work at all in their intere$t, these items would have to be inherently better than those provided in-game. From weapons being more effective/efficient to articles of clothing being more vibrant and creative, LionHead would have to be aesthetically and functionally biased in its content creation in order to generate a demand for these pay-for items.

What is more, will players be able to sell these items to other players or will they be locked out like the limited edition items of Fable 2?

Whether it's an exercise in hyperbole or not, microtransactions will be the death knell of contemporary gaming and gamers for that matter. One might argue these events were set in motion long ago with the advent of online gaming for consoles. PCs may have taken advantage of this long ago but no where near the depth and breadth that MS has done for its platform.

I believe the day will come where physical discs are no longer produced with preference given to 100% DLC.

(Sigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.