• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

PS4's PS2 emulation won't support discs or PS3 digital purchases

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Was announced a little while ago that PS2 emulation was coming to PS4, many were hoping they would be able to insert their old PS2 titles and download a digital copy of the game. However it seems that wont be the case, some sources have said that neither discs nor PS2 Classics purchases will be supported and you will have to repurchase the titles on PSN on PS4 to play.

Report: PS4's PS2 emulation won't support discs or PS3 digital purchases
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...n-wont-support-discs-or-ps3-digital-purchases
Shuhei Yoshida, the head of Sony Worldwide Studios

To celebrate our PS2 heritage, I’m excited to announce that starting tomorrow, you will be able to purchase and play PS2 games on your PS4 via PlayStation Store in the Americas and Europe. We are getting things started with a bang by launching with eight fan favorites tomorrow.

In total, there are eight games that will go live today with additional features like 1080p re-rendering, Remote Play, Live Broadcast, Share Play, Activity Feeds, and Second Screen.

• Dark Cloud — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto III — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — $14.99
  • Rogue Galaxy — $14.99
  • The Mark of Kri — $14.99
  • Twisted Metal: Black — $9.99
  • War of the Monsters — $9.99

Romero

Premium
Reaction score
The possibility to emulate PS2 games is great, but as long as the games are not updated in any way it shouldn't be necessary to pay a second time! :mad:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The possibility to emulate PS2 games is great, but as long as the games are not updated in any way it shouldn't be necessary to pay a second time! :mad:

Sucks to have to pay for titles you already technically own however they do have some additional features that have been added and are listed as follows:
  • 1080p re-rendering
  • Remote Play
  • Live Broadcast
  • Share Play
  • Activity Feeds
  • Second Screen ability
Should have had ability to insert disc and download new digital version from PSN for free as they arent exactly cheap to repurchase. I mean $14.99 for GTA III which is 14 years old...

Romero

Premium
Reaction score
All right, it's not unfair to charge money when they have updated and added stuff. But I question if the updates are really worth 10-15 dollars for half-ancient games.
What is remote play and share play?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
All right, it's not unfair to charge money when they have updated and added stuff. But I question if the updates are really worth 10-15 dollars for half-ancient games.
What is remote play and share play?

Remote play is ability to stream PS4 games direct to your PlayStation Vita, PlayStation TV or Sony Xperia device.

Share Play lets any friend who owns a PS4 join you on a virtual sofa. You can either let them watch you play your games or jump into a local multiplayer game and play together even if they don't own the game (both need PSN Plus).

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
No matter how much you loved a game when it came out, there is nothing worse than playing an outdated game. It ruins your memories of it, and doing it makes it unplayable for me personally.

I have a few ps1 & ps2 games on my ps3 and I really can't play them because they're so outdated. which sucks because I loved them when they first came out.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
No matter how much you loved a game when it came out, there is nothing worse than playing an outdated game. It ruins your memories of it, and doing it makes it unplayable for me personally.

I have a few ps1 & ps2 games on my ps3 and I really can't play them because they're so outdated. which sucks because I loved them when they first came out.

Only a handful of games have felt as good later as they were when I originally played them. Many of those I do still play such as Settlers II, many command & conquer titles, Age of Empires II & III & Age of Mythology just to name those that I played in last few weeks. Console wise there are very few that I would still play today.

Lots just have dated mechanics/systems that just don't stand up to today's titles.