• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Question on Stats, Age, Trading, and Temples

tjbyrum1

That Asshole Son-of-a-Bitch
Reaction score
I got some questions (and yes, I still love to play Fable I).

1) When leveling up, do all Strength levels make you muscular? Or is it just Physique? Basically, if I JUST upgraded Health and Toughness - what would happen? Would I get muscular?
2) Same thing, but with Skill. Do all Skill levels make me taller, or just one Skill attribute (like Speed)?
3) How exactly does the Temple of Light work? Perhaps link me to a page where I can read how to get all possible rewards from it.
4) Levels add .7 years (.8 if it is Will) to the character, correct?
5) How exactly do you trade? I cannot make profits for anything! Any tips?
6) How do you plant a tree?

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
1) I cant remember.. i know one makes your more hairy...
2) no clue. sorry
3) the more evil you are the less money you need to donate and vica versa
4) i think doing the main quest adds years
5) Max your gile, buy all the gems you can, go to oakvales general store and sell them, then buy them all back. You make like 600gold per gem
5b) buy a house, max it out, put your best trophie inside, sell the house, break back in, take trophie, buy house...

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
1) All Strength levels make you more muscular, yes, but it's very gradual. Maxing out one stat will make you pretty normal. You'll be muscular, but still trim. Maxing out two stats will make you about as big as a town guard, give or take. Maxing out all three stats will turn you into the Incredible Freakin' Hulk.
It's commonly believed that leveling up Health will cause your character to become hairier, but I don't think anyone really knows for sure. Personally i think it just has to do with your characters age. If you use the Temple of Light exploit to restore your age to 18, you will not have any body hair.

2) All Skill levels make you taller, meaning that you'll reach maximum height only if you max out all three Skill stats. The hero begins the game exactly as tall as the 'normal' villager NPC's.

3) Upon entering Witchwood for the first time (on the Find the Archaeologist quest) you'll be able to hero save while using the Temple of Light. This allows you to receive the Youth reward multiple times, but to really take advantage of this it means that you'll have to have a completely maxed out character very early on in the game. A time consuming proposition, but not impossible. In TLC you'll be able to hero save about 9-10 times before your game becomes (big warning here) corrupted and unplayable, so make sure to watch out for that. If I recall correctly, you'll want to donate 15,000 gold in order to attain the Youth reward. The amount of years restored is random. I've gotten as much as 9 taken off, but it can be as little as 1. So check how many years you were given back on your status screen to make sure it was 9, hero save, and then repeat until you're 18 again. If it wasn't 9 (or better), simply reload.
Another thing to keep in mind is that you lose 15,000 gold every time... so you'll want to have a large amount of cash on hand to do this. I'll talk about how to make tons of money in a moment.
How the Temple of Light works: You make a donation (say about 15,000) and, viola, they give you a reward of some kind. It's not complicated. You can get away with donating less depending on how evil you are, but 15k usually works for me regardless of alignment. If it doesn't work then reload and try again with more money. You'll get the Gift of Youth, the Sentinus legendary Greatmace, and the Paladin hero title. Sometimes the order varies, but those are the rewards.

4) Sounds right to me. Although I've never heard that magic adds slightly more. I thought everything added .7 years. I guess that could be the case. I never tested it quite that extensively.

5) What Aions said. Emeralds, man. Emeralds are money in the bank. Buy emeralds from wandering traders (and the store in Oakvale) and sell them to the store in Oakvale for MORE than you bought them for. Crazy, right? Kind of an obvious exploit. You can make a better profit if your Guile stat is leveled up, but there's still money being made at 0 Guile. The more emeralds you have, the quicker you'll make money.
5b) If you need to pull together some cash to get started, play Card Pairs in Bowerstone. It's really easy to win and you can make 1000 gold per game.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
4) 0.7 and only 0.7, up until you reach 65 years which is the max.

5) Just about any item that can be gathered in quantity works. If you can't afford the gemstones, use apple pies. You don't need max guile, but it helps. Same with good alignment, giving the shopkeeper one or two beers (never three), using the heal spell on the shopkeeper, giving a gift and dancing and giggling a bit. The more he likes you, the better the prices up to a certain extent. Emeralds is the usual trade item because they can be found everywhere, so you'll be able to put together a whole lot real fast.