• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Reaver - Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

$am

Reaction score
Not evil? He shot one of his workers in the legs and let him writhe there in agony for the duration of his speech before finishing him off. He tried to feed YOU and Page to Hobbes, Hollowmen, and Balverines! HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD?? How can you NOT KNOW that Reaver is evil? It astounds me.

yeah but... he's steven fry?!

Mastperf

Reaction score
what is it with all you reaver haters. I PURE LOVE HIM.
I don't hate him but they've done a poor job of making him a villain. A villian is someone you're supposed to battle for the side of good or work with for the side of evil. We've only been allowed to work with him with no option to try to stop him. I don't need him dead I just want to beat the hell out of him.

Aruu

Reaction score
I have to agree, that was totally cruel with the poor worker. I thought my boss was bad, I'd hate to work for Reaver.

And I have to admit, I can't forgive him for killing Barnum in the second game.

$am

Reaction score
I don't hate him but they've done a poor job of making him a villain. A villian is someone you're supposed to battle for the side of good or work with for the side of evil. We've only been allowed to work with him with no option to try to stop him. I don't need him dead I just want to beat the hell out of him.

he's not a villain though, he's a bad-good guy, if you get what i mean.

Mortull

Reaction score
Reaver, what an interesting fellow he is. I love the character, he's a total... a word has yet to be devised for what he is, but he's a total one. He's the guy you love to hate; if and when I get the opportunity to finally end him I will do so with utter relish and glory in it as the culmination of a fantastic love/hate relationship. Let me be clear now, I can't be a bad guy. I just can't bring myself to it. Murder? Never. Child labour? Free education for the masses, please. Crunchy Chicks? Just say no.

However, the discussion centres on whether he's evil. I believe he is, He's lived so long and killed so many people he's forgotten what it even means to care. Once there was a soul in there, but he's slowly burned it away over the years (my personal guess is that Reaver made his pact about a century after the events of Fable, so that makes him 550 Y.O. or thereabouts) with hedonism in an effort to stop the pain. He's abandoned morality so he doesn't have to think about his own action in any sort of moral framework, to ignore his responsibility for the destruction of Oakvale, amongst other things. But being Amoral doesn't mean you can claim your actions have no natural morality, both intention and action define good and evil, and Reaver's behaviour is manifestly evil. He kills people for no good reason, abuses them for profit and generally takes from the world and the people who live in it with no thought for the consequences or any sort of compensation. Personally, I think of Reaver as a tragic character, a Narcissus who's punishment wasn't to become a flower, but to live with himself. Deep down I think Reaver really just wants to die, but he's still afraid of the end. "Besides," he lies to himself "I'm having so much fun".

He's an egotistical lunatic with a totally selfish mindset who'd rather burn out than fade away. The problem is that, unlike a truly mortal hedonist from our world, he'll just keep right on burning... potentially forever.

Reaver is an evil monster who needs to die, for the good of the world and to put him out of his well-concealed misery, but I have to say I adore him as a villain. He's done so many despicable things with an undeniable panache that the list of his misdeeds would come in twenty 1200 page volumes, and I can never forgive him for killing Barnum.

But isn't that the point?

FruitieRoxxi

Reaction score
If Reaver dies then so does Steven Fry and we need him in the game lol

Jonas Green

Reaction score
You should have had the opportunity to execute the bastard. He IS evil. He's the one who put Bowerstone Industrial in the state that its in. I hope in a future DLC, since you no longer have use of Reaver, you have the choice to kill/exile/imprison him for the atrocities he's committed against the citizens of Albion.

Noelle Alexandra

Reaction score
How can anyone hate Reaver? He's hilarious, I hope he plays an even bigger part in the fourth game. Barnum was alright, but do I really care that Reaver shot him? No, not really. I mean, for sure Reaver is evil and he's a huge jerk and all that, but that's what makes him funny. I mean come on, if you wait to shoot Lucien, he does it instead...only someone as hilariously jerky as Reaver would shoot the main villian of the game because you waited too long. LOVE HIM!

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score
Reaver is the enigma. THE enigma. I think he is evil. And not evil. I like him. And hate him. All at the same time. I would love to execute him. But I would weep whilst doing it.

Bluedrake

Reaction score
This is not about whether you like Reaver or not. It's about whether he is evil or not. That should be pretty clear. The Joker is a very entertaining villain, but he is still a villain.

For any tropers here: I think this page gives a pretty spot-on description of Reaver's character:

While Affably Evil describes villains who are suave and genuinely nice, there is also a class of villain who is highly amusing but devoid of redeeming characteristics. They are funny and entertaining, but it is always clear that they are an evil asshole at heart.

This kind of character can easily lead to Misaimed Fandom given the cultural idea of humor as a sign of humanity and which subjects the humorless to scorn.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvillyAffable

Is he amusing? Definitely. Is he evil? That seems pretty obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.