• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Religion disappears THAT FAST , eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score
because its still part of albion, and its rather stupid.

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score
well, im saying if its in the game, then it can be considered canon, and it is a rather stupid canon which makes no sense.
why would posh people want to walk through a graveyard to a dark dirty underground cave full of skeletons and bats and just sit there talking and having a bbq?

Jonas Green

Reaction score
Err... the Chapel of Skorm and the Temple of Avo were in the first Fable game. Now, I'm way too confused with the timeline, but I'd say that was about 200 years prior to Fable 3. Look at what happened in the 1600's with Henry VIII breaking away from England and all the religious groups (Protestants, Puritans, Quakers, etc etc) who were formed in a matter of a hundred years or so (actually I think the Protestants came before the others when Martin Luther broke away from the Catholics, but my point still stands).

I digress. Point is, religion does/can disappear VERY quickly, especially in times like F3. All the modern industrialization and whatnot, it gets people thinking, so its not that hard to picture WHY we don't see the Temple of Light monks or the Priests of Skorm, or the Shadow Worshipers (BRING BACK ROOKRIDGE LIONHEAD!).

I would like to see SOME semblance of religion in Fable 3 though. The closest thing I've seen was Lesley trying to brink back the Temple of Shadows in Mourningwood.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
Err... the Chapel of Skorm and the Temple of Avo were in the first Fable game. Now, I'm way too confused with the timeline, but I'd say that was about 200 years prior to Fable 3. Look at what happened in the 1600's with Henry VIII breaking away from England and all the religious groups (Protestants, Puritans, Quakers, etc etc) who were formed in a matter of a hundred years or so (actually I think the Protestants came before the others when Martin Luther broke away from the Catholics, but my point still stands).

I digress. Point is, religion does/can disappear VERY quickly, especially in times like F3. All the modern industrialization and whatnot, it gets people thinking, so its not that hard to picture WHY we don't see the Temple of Light monks or the Priests of Skorm, or the Shadow Worshipers (BRING BACK ROOKRIDGE LIONHEAD!).

I would like to see SOME semblance of religion in Fable 3 though. The closest thing I've seen was Lesley trying to brink back the Temple of Shadows in Mourningwood.

I agree with you here. Religious fanatics would make perfect enemies too and they could very easily base a whole game on the subject and make it twice as interesting as this nonsense was.

DiamondFlair

Reaction score
I agree with you here. Religious fanatics would make perfect enemies too and they could very easily base a whole game on the subject and make it twice as interesting as this nonsense was.

But Albion has its relgion. Hero's. Where as in the real world we had to create dieties to explain the oddies in life and grand events, in Albion they didn't. Hero's were responsible. These stories are passed down to the children, teaching them the values of the heroes of old, much like the the holy books in the real world do off the prophets etc.

Although, if that were to be implemented in a more obvious a familiar stucture, that would be pretty cool.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
But Albion has its relgion. Hero's. Where as in the real world we had to create dieties to explain the oddies in life and grand events, in Albion they didn't. Hero's were responsible. These stories are passed down to the children, teaching them the values of the heroes of old, much like the the holy books in the real world do off the prophets etc.

Although, if that were to be implemented in a more obvious a familiar stucture, that would be pretty cool.

Heroes aren't a religion and most of what we do doesn't even begin to compare to what deities are capable of. You seem to forget that heroes and gods are not one-in-the-same but two separate entities with their own tales and such.

handsdown65

A Smart Fella
Reaction score
You seem to forget what he means. About religion being an ideal and a form of explanation for us, and a load of bullshit to boot. Whereas in Albion, everything is explained because Heroes were there and are still around. There is no need for religion.

The Temple of Light was active only in Oakfield for their worship of nature for their lands, and Oakfield isn't in Fable 3. The Temple of Shadows worshipped the demons that tried to destroy Albion, so that's understandable.

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score
You seem to forget what he means.
About religion being an ideal and a form of explanation. Whereas in Albion, everything is explained and there is no need for religion.
yes, whereas in fable 2, the temples were more about peoples beliefs. and also slightly about magic.
since the evil guy summoned the shadows against oakfield.
and also the monks use magic to bless the gold oak tree/acorn

HoundFox

Reaction score
Maybe it has something to do with the Age of Enlightenment time-line the series appears to be following. From a certain point of view, you could say religion saw some "dips" in terms of followers at the high times of the Renaissance and Industrial Era.
Though adding religious enemies to a fantasy series does lend it more faithful power, so I'm in favor of its return to the series, even if it was just some monks walking around, taking your money, sacrificing dopey villagers and listening to them comment on your 'stache or boots. ^_^

Jonas Green

Reaction score
Maybe it has something to do with the Age of Enlightenment time-line the series appears to be following. From a certain point of view, you could say religion saw some "dips" in terms of followers at the high times of the Renaissance and Industrial Era.
Though adding religious enemies to a fantasy series does lend it more faithful power, so I'm in favor of its return to the series, even if it was just some monks walking around, taking your money, sacrificing dopey villagers and listening to them comment on your 'stache or boots. ^_^

That's exactly what I was just talking about. The whole "Age of Enlightenment" deal. By the way, I don't mean to derail the topic (as I did in another thread), but could you guys refrain from bashing religion, its a bit offensive to those of us who have a Faith. And I'm probably the only one hear who has one. Once again, I digress, and humbly ask you guys to refrain from bashing your fellow man's faith, whatever it may be.

On Topic. Maybe in the future Fable 3 DLC, Lesley (the guy who excavated the Dark Sanctum) gains tons of followers and you, as king/queen have to stop him by gaining a few more allies. Just like you did in the main storyline. Most of the followers would be other religious/cult groups who oppose the Dark Sanctum, be they evil or "good" (note my quotations on "good", I'm well aware of corruption among religion.

EDIT: OR! Maybe you support Lesley and help him in spreading the evil (if your character is evil, or you have a change of heart or something. Hey, you're the ruler now, you can do whatever the hell you please!)

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
You seem to forget what he means. About religion being an ideal and a form of explanation for us, and a load of bullshit to boot. Whereas in Albion, everything is explained because Heroes were there and are still around. There is no need for religion.

The Temple of Light was active only in Oakfield for their worship of nature for their lands, and Oakfield isn't in Fable 3. The Temple of Shadows worshipped the demons that tried to destroy Albion, so that's understandable.

And you seem to be forgetting that we have heroes and religions in the real world too. Always have, always will.

Darkwolfdemon

Reaction score
Well; the transition between games have usually been less than the growth of the kingdom and more of an explosion.

Jonas Green

Reaction score
And you seem to be forgetting that we have heroes and religions in the real world too. Always have, always will.

Good point. The Greeks had heroes such as Achilles, Odysseus, Ajax, Belepheron, Perseues etc etc. BUT! They didn't worship the Heroes, they worshiped the Gods, Zeus and Hera and that lot.

Albionites don't worship Heroes, they're more of an iconic figure that stands for order in the land, not an all-powerful being who controls the fate of everything (even though that's basically what you do in the game).

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
Good point. The Greeks had heroes such as Achilles, Odysseus, Ajax, Belepheron, Perseues etc etc. BUT! They didn't worship the Heroes, they worshiped the Gods, Zeus and Hera and that lot.

Albionites don't worship Heroes, they're more of an iconic figure that stands for order in the land, not an all-powerful being who controls the fate of everything (even though that's basically what you do in the game).

Yes, that's what I meant. I guess I should have been a little more specific. The citizens of Albion don't worship the heroes but that won't stop them from idolizing/fearing us. Religion is a whole separate thing so I don't see why there wouldn't be any, even if it's just some simple light/dark nonsense.

handsdown65

A Smart Fella
Reaction score
That's real life though isn't it. And I didn't mean they worship Heroes like Gods, as if Scythe or the Hero of Oakvale were Gods, but all divine acts that us idiots would explain as 'it was God', were carried out by Heroes. We have Jesus, they have Hero of Oakvale. Before that, Avo and Skorm (who were disproved).
Albion is not the real world. We have Jesus, etc. Albion has Heroes... It's not hard to understand. They don't have Gods, or organised religion. The Light that Albion worshipped is effectively nature, and worshipping the Shadow is worshipping the beings, Shadows, and (I think) the Void.

DiamondFlair

Reaction score

Theres still a difference though. Our hero's were great, and showed great strength etc, but they were still mortal men. They were not super powered, they were generally instilled with a limited gift. If our hero's have any albion equaviliant, they are Hammer and Reaver. But albion has true hero's that are basically gods. Greek hero's are too the greek religion what prophets are to most the others, the people that created the religion or used to to further thier own person gain. Without them the religion would never exist and because of people fear of the unknown they believe it.

Albion heroes arent prophets. In Albion, there actually is magic, so there is no need for people to create a fiction version.

Relgion is created because people use to try and explain the unknown. In the Albion universe, because of Heroes, people would attribute anything that was unknown to something of the heroes and thier old magic, and hense not create some false deity to worship in the belief it will change thier fortunes. They wait until the time another Hero walks thier lands.

And then they make thier prayers very well known to thier "god". Hense the quests.

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score
I am dissapointed with the lack of Religion in Fable 3. Religion has ALWAYS survived on Earth; Even now, atheism is a minority.

Silent420

Proud Progressive
Premium
Reaction score
As a real life atheist, I don't really miss religion in fable, but I don't really care either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.