• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Religion disappears THAT FAST , eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
I guess in a world where zombies and ghosts are commonplace, the afterlife doesn't hold a lot of mystery for people.

onwingsoflead

Reaction score
Also, remember that the people of Albion are always under oppression, especially in Bowerstone, because of people like Reaver. Perhaps the people have given up on worship through this time.

Mastperf

Reaction score
Also, remember that the people of Albion are always under oppression, especially in Bowerstone, because of people like Reaver. Perhaps the people have given up on worship through this time.
That tends to be when people turn to religion the most.

Jonas Green

Reaction score
What the other two above me said. Religion can get you through tough times. Personal experience.

And as a real life Protestant... does that have ANY bearing whatsoever on why I care about religion in the game??? Who cares if you're atheist? Who cares if I'm protestant? Its your opinion of the game that matters. Would a fictional religion ACTUALLY bother somebody that much? Never has for me.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
What the other two above me said. Religion can get you through tough times. Personal experience.

And as a real life Protestant... does that have ANY bearing whatsoever on why I care about religion in the game??? Who cares if you're atheist? Who cares if I'm protestant? Its your opinion of the game that matters. Would a fictional religion ACTUALLY bother somebody that much? Never has for me.

It will for the intellectually deficient but for most people, it's not a big deal unless it's really overbearing and detracts from the game itself (which I've yet to see). I'm a Satanist but that isn't exactly relevant to this conversation so why people bother mentioning their religion is a little beyond me.

Rat

Kicker Of Hobbes
Reaction score
Well it's good that Albion grew out of backwards, stone-age belief systems, eh.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
Considering that Albion wasn't united under any one king until the hero from Fable II took up the reins of power, I think it's reasonable that there is no mainstream religion. The temples of Avo, Skorm, Light, and Shadow are examples of what most religions start out as: Cults and well-meaning organizations. Religions usually try to spread their teachings to as many people as possible, but given the fact that every country dirt road in Albion is a blood soaked battlefield infested with Balverines and Hobbes, I can sort of understand why potential missionaries are in short supply. Most of Fable's religious sects seemed content to exert influence over the nearest town(s) in their area and lacked the ambition and/or resources to expand their operations.

That's a good explanation, but I think the real reason that religion has been excluded from becoming a major focal point in Fable's mythology is the fear of alienating potential buyers of the game. That's also why the temples are always utterly black and white in their philosophies. There's the evil religion and the good religion. Never a neutral religion with good intentions and some corrupt officials. There's too great a danger of someone drawing a comparison to a real life religion and getting offended.

Reaction score

Thats pretty much what I was trying to say when I said I am an atheist IRL but I like the concept of religion in Albion.

DiamondFlair

Reaction score
Agreed. When there is no hope, people turn to the gods to give them hope.

Or, in the case of Albion, they turn instead to a Hero.

As I've said previously, outside of small cults relating to ancient texts theres very little reason for religion in albion because of heroes. They solve the problems most people would turn to religion for. So I think for them to add religion just for the sake of adding religion would be wrong.

Aruu

Reaction score

While I agree with you, I think adding religion could end up to be a pretty good idea. People could refuse the help of a hero because they have the stubborn belief that some higher deity is going to help them instead. Or that any good acts the hero does could be attributed to one of these Gods, instead of it being known it was their hard work.

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score
Add a cult worshiping the darkness in Aurora, in some form of DLC. It would be epic.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score

As I've said previously, outside of small cults relating to ancient texts theres very little reason for religion in albion because of heroes. They solve the problems most people would turn to religion for. So I think for them to add religion just for the sake of adding religion would be wrong.

I disagree. When people receive a hero they usually chalk it up to divine intervention, not the other way around.

DiamondFlair

Reaction score
I disagree. When people receive a hero they usually chalk it up to divine intervention, not the other way around.

We typically do. Its a hard concept to grasp, I grant you, but we dont have such common stock of hero's in recent history like Albion does.

I'm all for a well structured religion in Fable 4 if its well thought out and reasoned [which is unlikely, given Lionhead's track record]. DLC could only really add a cult of light to oppose the Dark Sactum, anything more substantial just would't make sense. I just dont think its worth just throwing religion in for no good reason other then that it would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.