• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Future of Fable

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
Well thanks for telling me that totally there isn't some kind of black list I'm into and especially telling me who has such a black list. I'm I top 10 or top five? I'm just curious, because, my points actually are quite valid so far and what you have said cannot possibly change them, because I've proven that even a year after each game's release one is obviously better than the other.
I owe it to cheez to explain myself before he gets mad at me.
What he told me, about who to look for and who to avoid, is not to say anything about you. He knows me very well and he understands that there are some people I just won't click with, at all. For example, you. The reason is very simple, you're hammering away trying to be "right" about something and you're so blinded by this that you can't see that we're not even talking about the same thing. Whatever your points may be, you're not engaging in the discussion, you're trying to wedge in an argument that fits you as some kind of internet tough guy where you're right about everything and people should kiss your cheeks and congratulate you for being so great. I'm not going to do that. If you want to talk about facts, make sure you're talking about the same thing as everyone else first.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
I feel like I owe this thread a post.
As Lenop said, he asked me about all the people who he'd seen posting with post counts much higher than everyone else.
In other words, regulars.

I told him who I thought he'd get along with, not trash-talking, and it looks like so far it hasn't been too far-off. Sorry if you're insulted to have been included on such a list (or if you had any false impressions about what the list was really of), Lackey. It's hard to not answer such a simple question, especially when I've got 5+ years-worth of things to say about this place... and yes, most of it is good things.

I'm not taking part in your debate, but I wanted to clarify on where this concerns me.

<3 you both and carry on.

EDIT: :steve:'d

This said, I want also to let you know that I neither care what Cheez thinks about me and whether I'm trust-able or not.
Oh, well. At least now I've clarified on what you're indifferent about. :)

Ss x Britain

Reaction score
Dark Intellect does like his debates and sometimes he does put them forward for.. Well.. His own enjoyment haha
BUT
Here, in this thread, he is completely right and has certainly won the debate. Skyrim will be remembered as one of the legendary 360 games and as yet another sequel of a continuously impriving game franchise. I mean, come on, it is amazing, as were it's predecessors. Whereas, fable's reputation as a top notch franchise is in turmoil after the continuous failings of the Fable sequels. Fable 3 is almost forgotten already, whilst Skyrim is still an obsession amongst the gaming community, even Oblivion has more discussion today!
Personally, i prefer Fable and even DA but i know for a fact that Skyrim far outclasses it.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I was just trying to point out that Fable III hasn't aged as well as Skyrim has over the same length of time. It needed updates but got neglected. I liked Fable III, but got tired of it when I managed to do everything in the game, or when I get glitched into a tree.

Ss x Britain

Reaction score
I was just trying to point out that Fable III hasn't aged as well as Skyrim has over the same length of time. It needed updates but got neglected. I liked Fable III, but got tired of it when I managed to do everything in the game, or when I get glitched into a tree.
Oh, i know what you mean, i've been stuck in trees, stuck between rocks and had some of my legendary weapons morph along side my Hero weapons :/
I actually gave up on Skyrim due to their game breaking glitches -_- I couldn't get my second Potema quest from Falk Firebird, i got two werewolves stuck in prison fighting eachother in a cage in Falkreath whilst a random Kajit dies from a werewolf that never made it to the cave, i apparently faile to kill the queen's niece when i did.. So many glitches on so many lvl 81 characters -_-

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I read "paper plane made into a space shuttle" and got horribly distracted.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
At least Angel gets the idea, whether she knows it or not. Some of you just aren't following. Perhaps it's my fault, I didn't present the idea the right way. Or perhaps the idea is just that mindblowing. I'll state it again as simply as I can.

It's not about what game is better. It's not about Skyrim. This isn't about Fable 2 or 3 at all. The idea is what if Fable, the first Fable, Project Ego, was made the way it could and should have been made, what if it was remade by the old developers without interference from someone like Molyneux or a publisher, without fear of the studio going bankrupt mid-development and without squeezing out a new title to make cash. It's about making the game that we all wanted. If such a game were made today, we'd all love it.

But carry on talking about how Skyrim was better than Fable 3, I'd sure hate to interrupt such an important and life-changing argument.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I reckon even if the ideal Fable was made, someone somewhere would still be moaning about it. In fact, I'd make that my job just to keep the world turning.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
It's not about what game is better. It's not about Skyrim. This isn't about Fable 2 or 3 at all. The idea is what if Fable, the first Fable, Project Ego, was made the way it could and should have been made, what if it was remade by the old developers without interference from someone like Molyneux or a publisher, without fear of the studio going bankrupt mid-development and without squeezing out a new title to make cash. It's about making the game that we all wanted. If such a game were made today, we'd all love it.

Was watching Machinima's game history documentary the other about the Fable frnchise, and I learned that the original idea of Fable, ProjectEgo, was actually thought of and designed by only three guys: Ian Lovett (who also worked on Fable II, but left Lionhead shortly before they designed Fable III), and the Carter brothers, Simon and Dene ( if you don't know them, then just look at Max and Sam from Fable II. Dene, too, left after Fable II. Simon left after Fable III was released.).

Anyway, the main thing I wanted to point out was that the original Fable was the work of three brilliant people. THREE. And those three didn't include people like Peter Molyneux and the likes. Also, these three people have left the Fable franchise.

It was perfect then. Lionhead did all the PR (this is where Molyneux infamously made the game sound a whole lot bigger than it actually was), and all the business, while these three, known as Big Blue Box (which grew as ProjectEgo grew bigger), had nothing to worry about besides the game itself. They had no dates to follow, and they were completely independant (besides Lionhead helping them out). They had funds from Microsoft, and all was well. Will we ever get that again? I doubt.

I have no idea where Lovett went (he's not worked on a game since Fable II), and the Carter brothers formed a new indie company known as Another Place Productions, with some of the people they worked with during Project Ego's development. If there will be anything like the original Fable, it will be there, not Lionhead. It might not be another RPG, but it will be fun, like the first Fable was.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
Was watching Machinima's game history documentary the other about the Fable frnchise, and I learned that the original idea of Fable, ProjectEgo, was actually thought of and designed by only three guys: Ian Lovett (who also worked on Fable II, but left Lionhead shortly before they designed Fable III), and the Carter brothers, Simon and Dene ( if you don't know them, then just look at Max and Sam from Fable II. Dene, too, left after Fable II. Simon left after Fable III was released.).
I am extremely aware of them. I'm glad others are too. :)

Anyway, the main thing I wanted to point out was that the original Fable was the work of three brilliant people. THREE. And those three didn't include people like Peter Molyneux and the likes. Also, these three people have left the Fable franchise.

It was perfect then. Lionhead did all the PR (this is where Molyneux infamously made the game sound a whole lot bigger than it actually was), and all the business, while these three, known as Big Blue Box (which grew as ProjectEgo grew bigger), had nothing to worry about besides the game itself. They had no dates to follow, and they were completely independant (besides Lionhead helping them out). They had funds from Microsoft, and all was well. Will we ever get that again? I doubt.
Big Blue Box was gone after the first Fable was released and Microsoft acquired Lionhead. But that the three main guys who worked up Fable aren't there anymore is very relevant. The game I mentioned in the first post was created by a few key people and Chris Taylor was not among them. None of those guys work at Cavedog Entertainment anymore and yet they're coming back to release a continuation of this old game. Wouldn't it be great if the Carter brothers and Lovett could get together and do something similar?

I have no idea where Lovett went (he's not worked on a game since Fable II), and the Carter brothers formed a new indie company known as Another Place Productions, with some of the people they worked with during Project Ego's development. If there will be anything like the original Fable, it will be there, not Lionhead. It might not be another RPG, but it will be fun, like the first Fable was.
I never said it had to be Lionhead who must do what I'm talking about. I said it had to be the people. Fable was somebody's dream and vision and without those people you can't make anything close to what it was supposed to be. But I do understand what you're saying. I'm aware of the Carter brothers and what they're doing, it makes me happy, in fact. It made me feel that perhaps they didn't exactly enjoy the direction it was going in either.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I am extremely aware of them. I'm glad others are too. :).

Yeah. Just making sure everyone remembers that Fable was NEVER Peter Molyneux's idea. A LOT of people still believe that.

Big Blue Box was gone after the first Fable was released and Microsoft acquired Lionhead. But that the three main guys who worked up Fable aren't there anymore is very relevant. The game I mentioned in the first post was created by a few key people and Chris Taylor was not among them. None of those guys work at Cavedog Entertainment anymore and yet they're coming back to release a continuation of this old game. Wouldn't it be great if the Carter brothers and Lovett could get together and do something similar?

Yeah! I've no clue as to whether Lovett and the Brothers still talk business, but it would be awesome for us, as the ProjectEgo community, and all Fable fans, if they could recreate whatever it was that drew us all to Fable in the first place! :) And this time, there's no Peter Molyneux to twist facts!

I never said it had to be Lionhead who must do what I'm talking about. I said it had to be the people. Fable was somebody's dream and vision and without those people you can't make anything close to what it was supposed to be. But I do understand what you're saying. I'm aware of the Carter brothers and what they're doing, it makes me happy, in fact. It made me feel that perhaps they didn't exactly enjoy the direction it was going in either.

I didn't direct this entirely to you. I wanted as many Fable fans to know that if they want more of what the first game was made of, they shouldn't throw requests at Lionhead, who know is made up of an entirely different crew from the one that worked on The Lost Chapters. :) And I completely agree with you. It does seem like the Brothers didn't like where their brainchild went.

Xbox Has RROD

Reaction score
Fable has no future, it has been ruined by Peter Molyneux and those hacks at Liarhead Studios. Microsoft need to pull the plug on Liarhead Studios. They produce nothing but junk now. Fable TLC was the only great Fable game.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
Fable has no future, it has been ruined by Peter Molyneux and those hacks at Liarhead Studios. Microsoft need to pull the plug on Liarhead Studios. They produce nothing but junk now. Fable TLC was the only great Fable game.
Well aren't you just a glowing picture of optimism. Thanks for reading my thread and contributing constructively to the conversation. :|
You'll like it here, there are some people who will just love to meet you.

Xbox Has RROD

Reaction score
Im sure if the Fable franchise was passed over to another developer then Im sure it would be great. Lionhead Studios are finished. They now produce nothing but junk. They are nothing but bitches for Microsofts pile of junk called Kinect.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
Im sure if the Fable franchise was passed over to another developer then Im sure it would be great. Lionhead Studios are finished. They now produce nothing but junk. They are nothing but bitches for Microsofts pile of junk called Kinect.

Actually, I have to disagree with that. I doubt the franchise will do any better in the hands of another developer, unless that developer is none other than the people who made the original Fable (more commonly known as Big Blue Box, now known as Another Place Productions).

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
Imagine, if you will: you're a hero, running around Albion with your underoos sticking out over the top of your trousers, stealing horses and trying to avoid the guards that chase you until they lose interest. You travel to other areas of Albion, representing your Guild and proving to other wannabe Heros that you are not to be trifled with. You got a record. Keep horse jacking, punching ye olde hos and making coin until you inevitably get four guild seals and you get sent to jail. Title: Grand Theft Fable - Tales from Albion. (lol)

Actually, that sounds a hell lot like Skyrim.

WittyUsername

Reaction score
I read this thread over, and the idea of the guys who came up with the Fable idea doing their own thing again would be great. But, I dunno, I mean, I want the game to be succeeded upon, but without the history of Fable, it just kinda feels different. I mean, I'd really miss the Heroes Guild, Jack of Blades, etc.

I don't think Big Blue Box's successor has the license to those characters and Fable lore.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I don't think Big Blue Box's successor has the license to those characters and Fable lore.

Thing is, Big Blue Box never got a successor. They were swallowed by Lionhead before being broken up into tiny bits and excreted. *pardon me. I'm high again*

WittyUsername

Reaction score
Thing is, Big Blue Box never got a successor. They were swallowed by Lionhead before being broken up into tiny bits and excreted. *pardon me. I'm high again*
I meant the new company thingy I read in this thread. But I was in a bit of a rush, so I may have misread.