• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Fable IV should do to be an improvement over all its predecessors

AinurOlorin

Reaction score
1) Keep the Awesome couch co-op from Fable III (the wonder and pure joy of sharing an adventure in a realm of magic and legend, with a fully costomizable friend, and experiencing all the terrors and wonders, trials and triumphs in real time with a real friend and companion, had become too rare a thing in the current gen consoles, and Fable III did a wonderful job with it, which all future Fable's should repeat).

2)More Lore, More Story, More Magical Creatures (Both Dark and Light). Shiny new features are lovely, but without the centering effect of excellent story telling, they can only do so much. Fable II and III were not as extensive as they could have been. The rush to the future caused them to ditch many of the magical creatures, rather than expanding their number, and in so doing, they lost some of the magic. They also made the mistake of hinting at lore that lead to dead ends. Demon Princes and Fairie Moon Kings whom you never learned any more about than a name or title. Greater lore, and the possiblility of interactions and more sidequests, would greatly enhance these games. Also, just as there are creatures of evil and Shadow, there should also be magical creatures of Good and Light, perhaps dwelling in enchanted glades (this is Fable, after all) and in The Temple of Light. They might aid neutral to good playercharacters, while providing a different type of foe to wickied players.

3) Expand the magic and spell list, but loose the damned gauntlets: Having to rely on a talisman pair of gloves to wield sorcery makes every wizard feel a hell of a lot less wizardic. Also, while the combined spell effects in Fable III were beautiful, they confined the player to being little more than a battle mage. Spells like chaos, charm, healing and shield, along with some additional spells for practical things like opening locks (or Fablesque comedic things like transforming people into rabbits, or making peoples clothes vanish lol) could add a lot (the former type more than the latter, admittedly.

4) Larger regions and More of them: while I am sure the tech is there, I will understand if the developers cannot manage to keep all the other good features, and make an open world, or regions twice the size of Mistpeak valley. But that is no reason not to make a lot MORE regions the size of Mistpeak. Also, give back the foreign reaches. The Northern wastes should return, both for their scenic and mythic/historic value (what evil beings might congregate at the devil door where Jack of Blades fell. . . if The Temple of Shadows is a site of Evil, how much more so this ancient place of dread). Also Samarkand should make a debut at last! And Aurora should not be forgotten.

5) Finally. . . more expressions, more costumes, more brothels, sex, weapons etc. etc. etc., Amen.

Other than that, don't change a thing.

littlesparrow

Reaction score
I just want more of everything and a higher difficulty..
Fable should never end..it's to cool, to different..
We need a huge fable..something the size of Red Dead Redemption..

AinurOlorin

Reaction score
No Molyneux! Wait... That's a good start!
:blink:. . . :lol: I actually don't know how many of the bad moves were Molyneux versus Microsoft. Same for the good ones. Fable II and III definitely improved upon a number of areas where Fable I was lacking. The problem is, they did an exchange rather than pure enhancement, and got rid of at least one good thing for every few good things they added.

littlesparrow

Reaction score
:blink:. . . :lol: I actually don't know how many of the bad moves were Molyneux versus Microsoft. Same for the good ones. Fable II and III definitely improved upon a number of areas where Fable I was lacking. The problem is, they did an exchange rather than pure enhancement, and got rid of at least one good thing for every few good things they added.

And what exactly did they get rid of that was good?

AinurOlorin

Reaction score
And what exactly did they get rid of that was good?
Well, as I said in my original pst, they condensed the lore and the magical creatures rather than expanding them. There were fewer mysteries, if you will, as there were fewer rare beings and rare foes. Most everything was cookie cutter. No anamolies like the Krakens etc. from the first game. Also, there was less story, despite there being a larger world to tell the story in. And regions were lost (I really missed The Northern Waste). Also, the ability to pick locked doors and take things that were lying around. And the loss of control over the expression wheel was confounding.

There were LOTS of great things about Fable II and Fable III, but there were certainly some places where they didn't do as good a job as they could have.