• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Time Period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Re: What Time Period?

Gunman23;329036 said:
No, I meant during the time the US was born.

Well, it already seems kinda like F2 was the general era the US was born, doesn't it? Or past that? We've got some steam engines, we've got some magical technology-style automatic weapons, still carrying around a bunch of flintlocks and bladed weapons and ****. I mean, there are too many of said bladed weapons, but it still seems pretty close.

TheJJMax

The Ultimate Noob
Reaction score

Walker;329135 said:
Well, it already seems kinda like F2 was the general era the US was born, doesn't it? Or past that? We've got some steam engines, we've got some magical technology-style automatic weapons, still carrying around a bunch of flintlocks and bladed weapons and ****. I mean, there are too many of said bladed weapons, but it still seems pretty close.
Wasn't the Enlightenment a couple of hundred years before the 1700s?

SgtSmitty07

Reaction score

I totally think that it should stay British. I couldn't imagine American voices.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Gunman23;329143 said:
Wasn't the Enlightenment a couple of hundred years before the 1700s?

Nope. Enlightenment was 18th century all the way. The American Revolution was less about Enlightenment ideals than it was about taxes, but lots of Patriot writing, including the Declaration of Independence, were pretty heavily based on Enlightenment thinking.

And Smitty, no one's talking about moving Fable to the US (though I think some exploration and colonization would be somewhat awesome, if awkward, that's another story.) But lots of us are American, so we're using American time periods and events as reference. Because European ones don't mean much.

SgtSmitty07

Reaction score

All i'm trying to wonder is what time period the game will FAVOR, not what period it is based in. lol

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Now I'm confused... you said it should stay British. What's that got to do with time period?

And yes, that is what we're talking about. What it'll be like, not what it will be. (Which is mildly incoherent, but **** it.)

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score

I still think that it will be in the 19th century. It just seems so appropiate. I can also imagine the locales being similar to what we saw in Sweeny Todd.

Oh, and why do some people want a prequel? That kind of defeats the purpose of a progressing story, don't you think?

Cain

Reaction score

Ok walker since when did american events mean more than any event?

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Azrael;329188 said:
Ok walker since when did american events mean more than any event?

I'm an American. From America. With years of fine public education focusing mostly on American history. I'm pretty obviously going to be more familiar with the tech levels and eras as related to different US history events than, say, British.

And everyone else is even worse than me. After all, the Enlightenment involved all of Europe and Europe-settled America, and Gunman STILL thought it came a few hundred years before it actually did.

T

theturtle343

I know the See the Future DLC made it seem like it will only be a small amount of time after Fable 2 presumably, but I'd really prefer a jump backwards in time. I felt the whole, greatswords and armor and dragons was a much better fit than the Enlightenment era, or even better we could maybe go back to the Old Kingdom. Either way whatever happens, I just hope there's more of a connection to the Jack Slayer, i was really looking forward in Fable 2 to learning about the ancient bloodline and all that but there was barely anything. I just dont feel an mid/ early 1800s setting would work so well

T

theturtle343

Rheckameohs;329186 said:
I still think that it will be in the 19th century. It just seems so appropiate. I can also imagine the locales being similar to what we saw in Sweeny Todd.

Oh, and why do some people want a prequel? That kind of defeats the purpose of a progressing story, don't you think?

It's not like Fable was really all that deep into a real main quest story. How can it be when your character doesnt say much more than grunts and stuff.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

theturtle343;329198 said:
It's not like Fable was really all that deep into a real main quest story. How can it be when your character doesnt say much more than grunts and stuff.

I don't know, the story seemed pretty deep to me. Well, okay, not deep, but definitely there and important. You aren't running your mouth that much, but everyone else more than made up for it, in both Fables.

SgtSmitty07

Reaction score

I meant the voices being European, and not American. Gah

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score

As long as the voice work is done predominately by English actors... you get the idea.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

SgtSmitty07;329265 said:
I meant the voices being European, and not American. Gah

Rheckameohs;329324 said:
As long as the voice work is done predominately by English actors... you get the idea.

Look, people, no one's talking about anything like that. C'mon, let's focus here. Time periods/tech levels.

Cain

Reaction score

theturtle343;329198 said:

Well the whole "your character dosen't speak" is so you can imagine yourself as the hero. And speech isn't needed to have a deep story. The Fable story was very deep I think

SgtSmitty07

Reaction score

Actually I think that the character speaking would be cool. You can choose his voice. That would be awesome. I hate it when games make it where you're a mute. It's like who wants a king that never speaks a word.

Cain

Reaction score

But as I said the whole point of it so you can imagine yourself as the hero. Lionhead can't put every voice in the world in the game and so a lot of people won't be happy.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score

I would say not along after Fable 2 or before Fable 1.

Before Fable 1 would seem better as it would act like a prequel and you'd play as the Hero of Oakvale's ancestors, perhaps.

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score

Walker;329392 said:
Look, people, no one's talking about anything like that. C'mon, let's focus here. Time periods/tech levels.

I was most definitely setting Smitty straight.

Walker;329200 said:
I don't know, the story seemed pretty deep to me. Well, okay, not deep, but definitely there and important. You aren't running your mouth that much, but everyone else more than made up for it, in both Fables.

The thing about Fable is that the story is told via the experiences of the supporting characters rather than the lead character, so whether or not the hero speaks is pretty irrelevant. It's all about the secondaries, you know?

Zjuggernaut;329453 said:
I would say not along after Fable 2 or before Fable 1.

Before Fable 1 would seem better as it would act like a prequel and you'd play as the Hero of Oakvale's ancestors, perhaps.

I don't see anything like that being the setting for Fable III, but I can imagine that a spinoff or a side story could be made that explored the Hero of Oakvale's ancestry. Perhaps it could be about Scarlet Robe, or an associate of her's.

Status
Not open for further replies.