• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Time Period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtSmitty07

Reaction score
What Time Period?

Well lets see, Fable 1 and LC had a Medieval feel to it, with the armor and weapon selection. Fable 2 had a more Pirate/Revolutionary War feel to it with the clothes, guns, and swords, like cutlasses and guns like blunderbusses.

I would wonder what time period this one would be in. There isn't that many options for time periods left, unless you want a game to be all redneck (civil war), or technical (WWII). That would kind of eliminate the use for magic if that was the case.

What is your thoughts on the period it should feel like?

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score
Re: What Time Period?

I'm guessing it is in the same era due to the See The Future DLC.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Goddamnit, I've tried to reply three times and lost several paragraphs because my laptop somehow mistakes my thumb brushing the touchpad as the back button.

So, to make a long story short, assuming that See the Future is a red herring one way or another, my guess is somewhere between the American Revolution and American Civil War. Enough tech to change the world, growing from what's already popped up, but not enough to really change the tone.

And I wouldn't worry about rednecky-ness from the Civil War era. For one thing, Albion is based on Britain, not the US. For another, it's a fantasy world and I think they'll avoid anything that smacks of racism like the plague.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

Has it been confirmed that the time period is in fact after fable 2? If not, I think it would be awesome to set Fable 3 in between Fable 1 & 2.

Also, if it is put too far into the future, melee weapons would become obsolete due to the technological advancement of fire arms, and who wants that?

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score

If I had to put a date on it, I would place it in the early 1800s.

However, I must admit something: I think they set Fable II too far into the future. They completely bypassed the Renaissance, which would have been amazing, if you ask me. If they had gone that route, Fable III could have easily been placed in the same era that Fable II took place in.

But hey, it's not my game.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

it may not be your game, or any of ours for that matter, but you're EXACTLY right! I definitely think Fable 2 should have been set earlier, but more specifically, during the fall of the guild. then you could better see how it all happened, and fable 3 would then have fable 2's story line. that'd be how i'd do it

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

The uniform from "See the Future" seems to hint at it being around the time of the American Revolutionary war (thats what the uniform looks like to me anyway). But thats a really boring time period for a Fable game in my opinion. Unless they dont keep it too historicly accurate.

It will probably be either just after the time of Fable II, or mabey a few hundred years after that. Personally, I want to see a game take place in the Old Kingdom (a long time befor the events of Fable 1 if you dont know), but its not looking like that so far.

A

Anon

A Steampunk-esque setting would suit me perfectly, however it may restrict the scope for future Fable games.

Cain

Reaction score

Ok Fable was set in a medieval period

And heres Fable 2 era

The game takes place in the fictional world of Albion, five hundred years after Fable's original setting, in a colonial era resembling the time of highwaymen or the Enlightenment;

Fable 3 will either be a direct sequel to Fable 2 or something different.

And the soldier uniform is definitely a british army uniform from around the napoleon war.

X

Xeon

Rheckameohs;327814 said:

That's also my guess, I have a feeling that they won't make another 500 year jump

Arladerus

Unknown Paladin
Reaction score

And with having Fable II taking place during the fall of the Guild...

There were no super bad-guys to kill at that time. Unless you consider killing villagers... because they were the ones who killed of the heroes with their "lead pellets". Plus, having a later game explain the fall would be more epic than just having it in chronological order. Unless, of course, you're a really organized person. Like, SUPER organized.

Like how the first 3 Star Wars movies were made, and THEN they explained how Darth Vader... became.

SimonSays

Reaction score

[Spoiler Alert]
I think it will be between Fable 1 and Fable 2, I never had Fable 1 so I don't know much about the time period it was in. But I'm pretty sure it will be about trying to survive from the crowds of people who wish to rid the land of hero's, I think that's what happened between the games.
I think you will find out more about Theresa aswell, who is obviously the Hero's sister in the first game. But crossbows, magic and swords are surely gonna be ingame, along with a sidekick.

Anyone taking bets?

Oh, and Molyneux, can we have NO loading times between places, just one open world would be nice!

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

necromancer11;327804 said:
Has it been confirmed that the time period is in fact after fable 2? If not, I think it would be awesome to set Fable 3 in between Fable 1 & 2.

Also, if it is put too far into the future, melee weapons would become obsolete due to the technological advancement of fire arms, and who wants that?

It hasn't been-- we've all kinda been assuming that it'll be in the future. It would be interesting to see the in-between period.

I don't think that they would put it far enough forward to make melee weapons obsolete. And "far enough forward" is debatable, since by all rights the weapons in F2 probably should have done so.

Rheckameohs;327814 said:

However, I must admit something: I think they set Fable II too far into the future. They completely bypassed the Renaissance, which would have been amazing, if you ask me. If they had gone that route, Fable III could have easily been placed in the same era that Fable II took place in.

But hey, it's not my game.

TJ Griffin;327819 said:
The uniform from "See the Future" seems to hint at it being around the time of the American Revolutionary war (thats what the uniform looks like to me anyway). But thats a really boring time period for a Fable game in my opinion. Unless they dont keep it too historicly accurate.

It will probably be either just after the time of Fable II, or mabey a few hundred years after that. Personally, I want to see a game take place in the Old Kingdom (a long time befor the events of Fable 1 if you dont know), but its not looking like that so far.

Yeah, the soldier uniform definitely doesn't look like Revolutionary war. I'm pretty sure that Welley's Soldier Uniform or whatever it's called is a reference to (Arthur?) Wellesley, AKA Wellington, AKA the Iron Duke, AKA Napoleon's Big Bad British Opposition and Blucher's Buddy.

On the other hand, I don't think that's so much a hint as it is random-thrown-in-stuff. Like the leather rocker clothes. And C'mon, TJ, are you really worried about historical accuracy? We can see analogies to different time periods, yes, but so far the game hasn't been in even the remotest danger of being historical.

But yeah, I wouldn't say they bypassed the Rennaissance so much as it never really happened. There might have been somethign vaguely analogous... but it's not the real world. There was no cultural phenomenom similiar in Albion's world, or at least it doesn't look like it. And anyway, the Rennaissance was more of a Italian/Dutch deal than a British (or Albionese) one.

But yeah, I don't really think I want to see the Old Kingdom, or at least not really. American Civil War tech levels might be interesting, but for all intents and purposes the game already is at American Revolution levels.

All we can really talk about are tech levels. The game is clearly not going to follow much of our historical track. It might have big things that resemble ours-- like a bit of an Industrial Revolution in the five hundred years between 1 and 2-- but beyond general analogies we can't really compare the two.

Cain

Reaction score

Ok I like the idea of it but I have to say that the inbetween Fable 1 & 2 can't work as that period was completely devoid of heroes.

And the fall of the guild is just after fable, with the hero of oakvale possibly being killed during it.

SgtSmitty07

Reaction score

The bad thing is, I haven't played the See The Future, so I don't know what It's about. I haven't even looked up facts on it. So that's why I don't know how the new one will look.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Hal;327965 said:
Ok I like the idea of it but I have to say that the inbetween Fable 1 & 2 can't work as that period was completely devoid of heroes.

And the fall of the guild is just after fable, with the hero of oakvale possibly being killed during it.

Who says? The guy in the Tales of Albion bit, "Fall of the Heroes" was just a kid when the Hero from Fable 1 beat Jack. He was much older when the people started slaughtering Heroes. Which presumes that our Hero was either dead from old age or well on his way to immortality. I seriously doubt that he would have been killed by mobs with flintlocks and torches.

SgtSmitty07;327968 said:
The bad thing is, I haven't played the See The Future, so I don't know what It's about. I haven't even looked up facts on it. So that's why I don't know how the new one will look.

See the Future doesn't neccesarily have anything to do with F3. It's possible that it refers to DLC. If it does, in fact, refer to Fable 3 then we know exactly what time period it takes place in: you're old, you rule Albion, and your kid is the protagonist.

SgtSmitty07

Reaction score

Yea, that's true. I looked up See The Future, so I know what it's all about now.

F

FiendFyre

I was going to say English Civil War, but that's probably too close to Fable 2.
Perhaps a time period like the Edwardian or even Victorian era. More 'up to date' yet still keeping it set in the past.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

I actually had to look up when the English Civil War was, because I proud myself on my persistent provincial ignorance of all foreign history (sarcasm). And yeah, I'd say that era wouldn't be enough different from F2.

I'm not going to bother looking up when, exactly, Victoria and Edward ruled, but I will say that some parts of F2 already had what I thought of as a sorta Victorian feel to them, like Bowerstone Old Town. That may just be because I only have the vaguest idea of "Victorian" and "Edwardian."

Okay, fine, I gave up and checked the dates. Edwardian seems like it would probably be too late. Victorian, though, is actually kinda what I'm leaning towards. American Civil War era. Industrialization just making its presence felt in warfare and all, but not quite to the extent that it would around WWI. Close enough to F2 levels to be Fable-y, but with enough tech to have there be a clear advancement.

And it wouldn't have to be THAT far into the future, either. In a few places in F2 you can see what look like steam-driven mine trains and things like that. Give them another twenty, thirty, fifty years and see if they don't start popping out passenger trains-- at least narrow-gauge mountain railroads. And factories, too.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Why can't it be like 20 years or whatever?

Status
Not open for further replies.