• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why did the darkness affect Walter so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthestarrysky

Lionheart.
Reaction score
Like when you first go to Shifting Sands, the Crawler wants him because the darkness has always existed inside of him. At the end of the game, the Crawler attacks Walter for some reason I don't know. Why wouldn't the Crawler just attack the hero instead? I understand that the Crawler wanted to spread darkness and shadows upon Albion, but I don't see why it would want Walter specifically.

AcireJumi

And what an impression you've made. :D
Reaction score
Well, if you think of it, Walter would be a good choice. The other being Theresa (who, let's face it, was rather badarse and is probably unaffected.). He does have a lot of darkness in him. He served Logan, and while not being on level with a King, should have had some influence on the guy while he was growing up (not much darkness, but that was the first thing to come to mind). What better way to spread shadows throughout Albion then to make a father figure to the Hero try to kill them? Most likely, the Crawler could not directly attack the Hero or influence them. The Hero is also the last of their kind (unless they have children, but look what Lucien did to solve that little problem).

I dunno, just a theory.

ForcedDj

Reaction score
Agreed, why not just cause the hero to be weak, and then take over him/her, its more logical. Cause most damage? Take over the hero instead.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
He had to in order to fit the clichéd ending.

atlantiantokra

Reaction score
Because walter had been to aurora once before the hero

Avarael

Reaction score
I thought that when Walter was kidnapped in the cave and was blinded that the Crawler had sort of 'infected' him. I imagine that at such close range the Hero may have put up a better fight and was thus not chosen? Not to mention the Crawler likes to toy with its opponent. What better way to toy with you than to possess your father figure and greatest ally while allowing him to speak (thus show that Walter was still there)? It could have been cocky and thus underestimated its opponent.

Tiny5th

Reaction score
Also Walter's extreme claustrophobia is given as a hint as to why when you're wandering through the shifting sands the first time on your own trip, which I assume was the darkness trying to infect you too just as it did him, as you actually are blinded at the end of that scene before you're saved.

I assume it is this claustrophobia that made him naturally susceptible to the mindfuckery that goes on when the darkness tries to invade your mind, as I assume the "darkness already there" was the traumatic episode where he was sealed in the cave for several days.

destroythesaints

"Tatty-bye!"
Reaction score
I don't know, but I think the reason it affected him more is because
a) He's older,
b) He's been in a lot of battles, no doubt - seen more death and no doubt was more susceptible to the Crawler's words.
c) He's not a hero!

currupted

Reaction score
When you escape from the temple with the crawler in it and end up in the shifting sands theres and illusion of Walter saying he was stuck in cave that was pitch black. That probaly affected Walter because when he was going up against enemys made out of darkness it probably creeped him out, as after being stuck in a cave with no food or water with two other men in complete darkness most likely scarred him. and after that and getting the light sucked out of him in the cave it made him a pretty easy target to "infect".

destroythesaints

"Tatty-bye!"
Reaction score
When you escape from the temple with the crawler in it and end up in the shifting sands theres and illusion of Walter saying he was stuck in cave that was pitch black. That probaly affected Walter because when he was going up against enemys made out of darkness it probably creeped him out, as after being stuck in a cave with no food or water with two other men in complete darkness most likely scarred him. and after that and getting the light sucked out of him in the cave it made him a pretty easy target to "infect".

Above that, he already mentioned about how much he hated caves so it was probably stressful which made him an easy target.

RawrSaidTheSock

Professional Reaverphile
Reaction score
Maybe The Crawler thought you wouldnt attack Walter because he was like a father to you. I dunnoo

Drew2686

Nap time is before pants time.
Reaction score
I assume it is this claustrophobia that made him naturally susceptible to the mindfuckery that goes on when the darkness tries to invade your mind, as I assume the "darkness already there" was the traumatic episode where he was sealed in the cave for several days.
This, definitely.

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score
We all have darkness inside us, after living long enough. I believe that Walter being singled out by the Crawler because he had darkness inside him to be carefully hidden allegory; Either:
A - The past will come back to haunt you (Walter being trapped in a cave being the catalyst for the Crawler attack on him)
B - Don't take anyone at face value (Walter never confided that in the Hero; was it because he didn't trust him (I doubt it) or that he didn't want him to know... Shame, maybe... or fear... )

SeancyB

I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game
Reaction score
Yeah, that's when I started getting upset with the game. Walter's torch goes out and he just spazzes out. He freaks out and gets scared which makes him an easier target for the Crawler. And if he was so scared why wasn't he sticking to you being the hero like glue. Did he not believe you could protect him? It's a game but you should have never been forced to leave him. The other thing I was most upset with was the final fight. Fine, the Crawler uses Walter because he is afraid, old, and your father figure. But why couldn't you seperate the Crawler from Walter without killing him. I sooooo wanted to fight the Crawler one on one in its natural form. Even if Walter had to die in the process of the Crawler leaving him it would have been better. If the Crawler had made Walter mortally wound himself to upset you and leave his body at the same time it would leave Walter out of the way and give you all the ammunition you needed to rip the Crawler apart. When I beat the game, I was just thinking, wow that was BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.