• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your Fable III Opinion:Poll

Your Fable III Opinion.

• Very Good

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Good

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Average

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Very Bad

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiamondFlair

Reaction score
I went good as well. I mean, sure, its probably average or bad if you compare it to other Fable games, but the fact is despite all its flaws, I still want to play it. I've not taken it and traded it for something else. Its not amazingly good, but its still a very solid game.

Aruu

Reaction score
I'd say it was good, in all honesty. The story was brief, but it didn't hog the game. The graphics were a vast improvement, even if they still need to sort out their clipping issues. I like how the hero wasn't such a blank slate as before. I love the characters, Sir Walter, Ben Finn, Page, all amazing and interesting people.

The glitches are bad, I'll add that. I've not been unlucky enough to get a game breaking glitch, but I really feel for those who have.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
I voted 'good.' Not great, but better than your average game.

[THE GOOD]
*The graphics were appealingly stylized. They reached that comfortable medium between cartoonishness and realism, enabling expressive characters without being too silly or too bland.

*The Sanctuary is a great idea and I'm glad they put it in. It feels satisfying to know there's a place where all my stuff is on display and I can go there and look at it. Now if only Jasper would shut up about my clothing choices.

*As much as people harp on the game's length and size, it's actually quite a bit bigger than Fable II's world. There was plenty of places to explore and I fully enjoyed myself.

[THE NEUTRAL]
*The combat system has been simplified. To be honest, I hated it at first and I wanted the Reversals back from Fable II. After careful consideration, however, I believe that Lionhead took a step in the right direction with this new combat system. Guns and magic are depressingly overpowered, but the melee is solid. Simple, but solid. It flows a lot better now than it did in the previous two games. I say this because there's no longer any wasted technique to it. I don't think anyone even bothered to use Chain Attacking it was so pointless and to be effective at Reversals it required the player to stand still and time their counters (at least if they wanted to do them regularly instead of by accident.) Hardly conductive to an active, free flowing combat experience.
Most people in Fable II just mashed 'X' until the enemy was dead. The new Finishers in Fable III reward this 'common' play style without actually making the fights all that much easier. Players who are more adept at games and willing to study the enemy behaviors will learn when to block, when to roll, and when to Flourish. Thus rewarding skill over mindless button mashing. The larger numbers of enemies in the game also encourage the player to use the wide, sweeping flourish attacks instead of button mashing. These numerous enemies make the player hesitate. Just running into a crowd and attacking randomly is only going to end badly for the player, so dodging, blocking, and looking for opportunities to strike are more important than they were in previous games.
All in all, they did a good job here. Unfortunately, guns and magic are so overwhelmingly awesome that the use of either makes the game laughably easy. One step forward, two steps back, eh?

[THE EVIL]
*Bosses have finally made a return. Sort of. They are all mini-boss material at best. Every single boss is just a jumped up regular enemy with extra health and maybe a spell or two at their disposal. It was very disappointing. I wanted Kraken sized monsters to fight, or at least monsters who were powerful enough to tangle with a Hero and give me a challenge.

*The fight against Logan's army should have been longer and more involved. The revolution happened after only about five or six enemy encounters. It felt like it was over too quickly and too easily.

Recycled Human

Reaction score
I've played all the fable games from the series available on the xbox, comparing this game to the others I'd have to rate it 3>2>1. Fable 1 didn't impress me as much as fable 2 did and fable 3 is an improved fable 2. Yes fable 3 currently has bugs, but I've never been one to rate a game on it's worst case scenario especially since these bugs could be gone tomorrow for all I know. Fable 2 apparently had tons of bugs at the start so is it so much of a stretch to ignore these issues when there are some people who played the entire game without a single one?

Say what you will about weapon morphing but it is a much cooler system than most RPGs offer. Augments were cool but they had no personality and most of the time I liked my own augmented weapons to whatever legendaries were lying around. I think if we got rid of the hype and didn't make weapon morphing out to be something it's not we never would have had an issue with it. Having a weapon that's different from yours is really cool, having legendary weapons that grow with specific actions is really cool too.

I remember the difficulty of fable 2 and 3 being called into question. But I for one love the difficulty of the game. I can run throughthe exact same game as my girlfriend using only swords while she uses only guns and still have fun. I usually love a challenge where as she prefers to have the easiest time she can. Never before could we join a game together and have so much fun because we were always separated by our own personal preferences.

I've heard the choices weren't impacting enough because you could just leave the game on and collect all the money you needed. Yes, you can do that and it does indeed eliminate the need for choice however you could always use some discipline and force yourself to not buy any property. Try making those decisions without property and I promise you it will carrythe gravitas it boasted.

The characters in this game had more life in them and made my experience so much better because of it. Sir Walter, Elise, dog, Sabine, Ben Finn, they all spoke to my character who responded in kind and at the end of the story I wasn't watching a cutscene with some prerendered cookie cutter character. Instead it was my character. The one that danced with everyone because thy haven't fixed the expression system yet, the one where Jasper stopped talking to her like he disapproved with her giving nature and was too ashamed when she saved everyone.

The music in this game can be powerful, really a vast improvement over an already good score.

The touch system is everything I wanted it to be, yes I wish I could interact with more than one person at a time and yes I wish I could get a crowd of people to follow me around, but as it stands I love holding my sons (in game) hand. It feels like my character is able to touch the world tha I've grown to love over three brilliant games (because they are all very good). And to me that's worth more than the coulda shoulda and woulda.

So to answer the question : how can a game be amazing if so many people disagree. That's easy, I've never been one to listen to someone elses review and take it for gospel. And a game isn't amazing only if everyone agrees. I thought beyond the beyond was amazing and no one agreed with me, I thought wild arms was amazing, and I thought ffvii wasn't. This doesn't change everyone elses opinion, it just voices mine. And that after all is what the poll is about, it actually never crossed my mind to consider on a scale of gradable qualities that Other Peoples opinions even be factored in. Your points are all valid I'm sure but it must not have bothered me as much as it did you.

DiamondFlair

Reaction score
Too be fair, Wild Arms is still one of the most underrated games ever, and you get props merely for knowing of it :D

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
average. it doesn't need a lengthy description. look no further than all of the flaws people have been talking about in this very forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.