• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Zarkes' Destiny Review.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
destiny-wallpaper-37-640x400.jpg

This is my experience with the released content of Destiny.
Overview: Destiny is an ambitious title from the creators of Halo. It is an MMO Action RPG. It seems like Bungie tried to take on the world with this, and didn't utterly fail. Although it is apparent whatever they were trying to accomplish did not manifest here. Instead, you get a game that is confused about what it is and where its taking you. The Universe is vast and breath taking, the mechanics and playability are spot on, the social aspect however is dismal.

Storyline: What the hell is going on? You'll be asking yourself this alot. Destiny does not explain anything at all. You are thrown into this world and promptly go from mission to mission, along the way you earn hundreds of grimoire cards which can be accessed online that tell the fiction of the world, nothing is explained ingame.
Voice acting is terrible. Peter Dinklage was the wrong guy for the job.

Gameplay: Same scenario rince and repeat. Fight a skirmish on the surface and work your way into a dungeon, catch a few surprises. Make your way to a dead end wear your Ghost has to hack this or open that. Defend as wave after wave of enemies ambush you.
Leveling is awesome but quite a grind. You're always chasing some new helmet or weapon.

Multiplayer: It's alot of fun but there aren't that many gametypes and no big team battles.

You will master this game in about a week playing casually, unless they have expansions putting Wow and TES to shame there is no way this game will last ten years as Bungie proclaimed. Bungie played it way to safe what is here could easily be a Halo killer they just did not try to outdue themselves.

I give this game an 8/10. It's worth 70 munny but you will tear threw it and before you know it you have already beaten the game.​

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Voice acting is terrible. Peter Dinklage was the wrong guy for the job.

Think the direction the cast received was wrong because the voice talent in the game is superb but their lines are terrible in some cases.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Think the direction the cast received was wrong because the voice talent in the game is superb but their lines are terrible in some cases.

Pretty much how an actor can be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar and a Worst Actor Razzie all in the same year. It's all in the direction, and the lines provided. Of course in some cases it can be simply a bad actor/actress, but we all know this is not the case with Peter Dinklage. He's fantastic.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
There is a quote amongst Halo fans, "Bungie doesn't miss" but I'm sorry Destiny is no bullseye. But on the other hand there is only room to improve.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
My biggest complaint is the lack of mission variety, they are all go here kill x amount of enemies, go there and scan something while fending off enemies and kill these enemies to get a particular resource/item. Story is pretty lacking I agree as you said, you cant read the grimoires in game and have to go onto Bungies website to do so (silly design decision). Also think the 3 player fireteams are too small and communication being limited to fireteams makes the world feel empty. Im enjoying the game but can see it getting repetitive if things arent mixed up a little in an update. Basic mechanics are solid and everything works well, just some ideas feel a little half baked and not fully fleshed out.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
From the sounds of it I'm not too surprised, they did say they were planning for Destiny to last for what.. about a decade? The release seems more like a foundation for what's to be in store for the rest of its lifespan. Still, I'm glad to see some honest opinions for what you're getting into, it's easy to get lost in the hype forest. Sad to hear about the campy dialogue, but was Bungie ever that good with stories to begin with? I'm still going to get the game, but I'm not as on the fence anymore and can take my time now that I see what we're really getting.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
From the sounds of it I'm not too surprised, they did say they were planning for Destiny to last for what.. about a decade? The release seems more like a foundation for what's to be in store for the rest of its lifespan. Still, I'm glad to see some honest opinions for what you're getting into, it's easy to get lost in the hype forest. Sad to hear about the campy dialogue, but was Bungie ever that good with stories to begin with? I'm still going to get the game, but I'm not as on the fence anymore and can take my time now that I see what we're really getting.

Just hope the game isn't "finished" by paid DLC. Foundations are great & basic mechanics are superb it just needs more depth, variety & some features fleshing out as some just feel hollow.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Just hope the game isn't "finished" by paid DLC. Foundations are great & basic mechanics are superb it just needs more depth, variety & some features fleshing out as some just feel hollow.
I imagine major expansions to the game will have a price tag attached to them, but all other content I would hope is free. Otherwise that's some damn highway robbery there as they've already turned a profit from the game's sales and will continue to print money with it, senseless greed won't do them any favors.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I imagine major expansions to the game will have a price tag attached to them, but all other content I would hope is free. Otherwise that's some damn highway robbery there as they've already turned a profit from the game's sales and will continue to print money with it, senseless greed won't do them any favors.

I know they already had 2 DLC pieces named before release and Activision already have them getting season pass etc for future ones.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
It's a damn shame. It's been getting pretty average reviews all round, and to be honest I'm not surprised. Not because I knew this would happen, but because it happens so often these days. I had high hopes for this game, and with a rumoured $500 million budget, it would seem Bungie had high hopes too. I won't rule out this game though; I'm sure it can still provide a lot of fun.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
It's a damn shame. It's been getting pretty average reviews all round, and to be honest I'm not surprised. Not because I knew this would happen, but because it happens so often these days. I had high hopes for this game, and with a rumoured $500 million budget, it would seem Bungie had high hopes too. I won't rule out this game though; I'm sure it can still provide a lot of fun.
It's still a fun game worth your money, but like I said they just played it safe, nothing innovative about it.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I know they already had 2 DLC pieces named before release and Activision already have them getting season pass etc for future ones.
Oh for the love of... and it calls for $35 for only 2 packs, and I can see them doing a rinse-repeat strategy for future packs.. sigh. Hoping they deliver a wealth of free content and features between each pack to fill in the gaps, because I can't see myself ever purchasing any of the DLC for this game if they end up being shallow in content. If they happen to resort to microtransactions for the smaller stream of content down the line, then that'll officially kill it for me. :/

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Oh for the love of... and it calls for $35 for only 2 packs, and I can see them doing a rinse-repeat strategy for future packs.. sigh. Hoping they deliver a wealth of free content and features between each pack to fill in the gaps, because I can't see myself ever purchasing any of the DLC for this game if they end up being shallow in content. If they happen to resort to microtransactions for the smaller stream of content down the line, then that'll officially kill it for me. :/

I dont get much choice as one is exclusive to PS4 for 12 months, they are updating the raids and opening new areas on certain days for events. Only only they have opened so far is for level 26+ players and its insanely hard apparently but im only level 10 so nowhere near that yet. I would imagine lots of content will be free but Activision will rinse what they can out of customers too. I mean look how expensive the map packs were for CoD series...

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

One reviewer said the $500 mil budget could be for the entire "series" (that is, any future DLCs that might be coming out) and not just the base game.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
One reviewer said the $500 mil budget could be for the entire "series" (that is, any future DLCs that might be coming out) and not just the base game.

Just a shame so many features are missing from the base game, hope they aren't all sold to us as DLC too.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Well it's not like it's a valid excuse anyway.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Why is there no trading in this game? Seems baffling considering how random the drop rate is. If you end up getting an item that you have zero use for or is incompatible with your class, but your friend has been trying to get it for days.. a simple trade should be allowed, no?

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Why is there no trading in this game? Seems baffling considering how random the drop rate is. If you end up getting an item that you have zero use for or is incompatible with your class, but your friend has been trying to get it for days.. a simple trade should be allowed, no?
We've discovered that alot of mechanics didn't make it to launch that Bungie was working on, probably something to due with Activision. Already I can tell alot of the story was cut as there where even scenes in the trailers that aren't in the game. But things that might come to Destiny later, is a voice chat system, gambling, and Bungie said they are working on a trading system once they have the economy figured out.

They will continue to support Destiny for a decade so you can think of this as a living breathing world, with new content and things to do coming monthly, along with updates, free content, and DLC.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

They didn't want people just trading all the exotic legendary gear straight from the get go without earning it. They have said trading will likely be introduced soon though.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
It is heavily structured like an MMO which I think accounts for what Zarkes mentioned about lack of clear direction of what to do in - game and catering to multiple crowds. It is something of a downfall sure because a lot of console fps players aren't used to having that.

It will help the game in the long run though. The amount of content they'll be able to patch in later could be unprecedented.

I only recently got to endgame and I'm loving how I can choose to either level with the crucible or the vanguard because the matchmaking is fun and addicting, but the dungeon crawling boss content is also superb and intensely challenging. Shooters tend to flop when it comes to boss fights and I'm thoroughly impressed. It's actually driven me to do more crucible matches and work on my gear so I can be more lethal with those boss fights. Later.

So I think while all the options for play are overwhelming at first, they do play off of and build off of eachother in a great way.