• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable 4 or Fable (reboot)?

Fable 4 or Fable (reboot)?

• Fable 4

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Fable (reboot)

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters

Chancho

Reaction score
Therein lies the problem. The games are so inconsistent from each other that each one could have it's own sequel/prequel. Doing anything in the setting or style of any one game would upset the fans of the other games.

The consistent move is to be inconsistent and make an entirely new game only connected to the others by sharing the same title, which I'd lean towards as the least bad option.

Be careful sir. People who play a game for 15 years often develop feelings about it bordering on fanatical. ;) Those guys are crazy.
Each game is its own individual story, but they all take place within the same world of Albion, with each hero being in the same family. So, each story is one of its own and doesn't require one to play a previous game to know most of what's going on, but the lore is definitely consistent throughout the games. They don't retcon anything or completely start fresh. So, I would say there's somewhat of a point in rebooting the franchise. It's not like Final Fantasy in that each game is entirely independent from the last. There are loose threads that link them.

You also stated that Fable doesn't have much of an identity, which I also disagree with, as the three Fable games are consistent enough with one another and are the Fable experiences that most people look back on fondly. They're single-player action-RPGS with an emphasis on British-style humor and high fantasy. Fable: The Journey was a spinoff that doesn't represent the series entirely at all and Fable: Legends didn't come out, nor did it represent what many believed to be Fable. I'm not saying that creative liberties can't be taken by the developer, but both The Journey and especially Legends were pushed onto Lionhead by Microsoft when they simply wanted to make Fable IV. That's why I don't think a VR game is likely or wise. It's rumored that Microsoft bringing Fable back is somewhat of a response to PlayStation 4's success with expansive single-player console games, such as Horizon, Spider-Man, God of War, etc., and the last time Microsoft took a risk with Fable, they spent $75 million on a game that never came out.

For me, I'd prefer a reboot, but a sequel would be fine, too. I mostly just want another single-player action-RPG Fable, which is what I think we'll be getting. I think a sequel worries people for a few different reasons, chief of those being The Journey, which introduced a replacement for Theresa and kinda sucked, and Fable III, which took place in an Industrial Revolution, meaning that going forward in time would mean even more advanced technology (although the happenings of The Journey could leave Albion in ruins).

However, Fable IV could just see Playground pick a random place in the history of Albion and expand upon it. They could pick the Old Kingdom or the 500 years between Fable 1 and 2. At the end of the day, though, so much time has passed between Fable III and now that it may be best to just hit the reset button and reboot the franchise entirely. I'd like to see the Old Kingdom documented in the first game and then maybe retell aspects of the first game in the second, though they would be free to take as many liberties as they would like, since it's their game.

I'm 75% sure the next Fable will be a reboot. If it isn't, all that matter is that it's a single-player action-RPG that fits the spirit of Fable. Hoping to get some news at E3.

lee

-Hero of Knowledge-
Reaction score
There’s a video on YouTube that has leaked some information from a post on Reddit that has now been quickly deleted. It talks about a Fable where there are no guns and going back to the medieval type game play of the original. There are just to many rumours and leaked information for there not to be a Fable 4 now?.

lee

-Hero of Knowledge-
Reaction score
Another video on YouTube talks about you being able to build towns and Jack of Blades returning. In fact a quick search on YouTube this morning on Fable 4 will reveal a ton of videos with loads of stuff presented as facts. Your right it’s easy to get to carried. Fingers crossed that E3 will finally give us something to be excited about?.

Chancho

Reaction score
Another video on YouTube talks about you being able to build towns and Jack of Blades returning. In fact a quick search on YouTube this morning on Fable 4 will reveal a ton of videos with loads of stuff presented as facts. Your right it’s easy to get to carried. Fingers crossed that E3 will finally give us something to be excited about?.
Looks to me like the leak wasn't true and that it was just hinging on the E3 hype around it. If it were true, the video would have been found just like Bleeding Edge's trailer was before the E3 conference. I'm really glad it seems to be false, since the story seemed a little bit too ridiculous to me.

Reactions: lee

Warpedhero

Warped Hero
Reaction score
I think they need to start with a completely new team built from scratch. I don't want a single original writer. If you're gonna redo it, redo it, don't have the creators reimagine it, and don't let Molyneux within two hundred feet of it.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
The Rise of Jack (2020)

Reactions: lee

Hiroz41

Reaction score
maybe and maybe not it will be a lot if they do it but in e3 it really sucked except cyberpunk 2077 it was good that's all

Reaction score
It'd be nice if it was a sequel to 3 that expands on that crazy darkness that you had to fight. I was down with that and wished it was expanded on instead of just being a twist in the story and a neat end boss type thing.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Sequel, reboot, remake, remaster, whatever we end up getting, at the end of the day I just want another Fable game to get lost in. It'd be a shame for all that fun lore and character designs to all go to waste. I was expecting us to get something on it this past E3, but nada... fingers crossed for 2020 I hope.

Hiroz41

Reaction score
me too I was really waiting for it in the game awards to see but I hope 2020

BountyHunter

Reaction score
Fable 4.

I'm bored to death of reboot/remakes. Do something new and original in the original continuity, or do something else entirely. Quit remaking every damn thing.

BigBadWuwlfy

Reaction score
Ya it looks like a reboot guys. Which honestly I think I prefer that. I want a spiritual remake of anywhere between Fable I and Fable II time setting, which is what it looks like which is great for me personally.