• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Gold changer

TheJJMax

The Ultimate Noob
Reaction score
Gold changer

How to change gold

Step 1: Dummy
Step 2: Go to CGoldDef
Step 3: Choose
Step 4: Click and change
Step 5: Rejoice :)

L

Lone Wolf

Re: Gold changer

What can you actually do by changing the gold? Other than changing the skin for it?

TheJJMax

The Ultimate Noob
Reaction score

JohnDoe;233645 said:
You can change the value of the gold. Example, you kill a bandit and he drops a bag of 5 gold. Instead of getting 5 gold, you can change it so that you get gazillionjillion.

This isn't the way I'd go for this kind of edit, heck, it's not even the way I'd edit it. It's good practice to trace these things from the OBJECT entry, so that you know exactly what you're editing right away. And a better method is to change enemy drops to higher amounts of gold, or spawn chests with gold in them, or raise the gold awards at the arena, or etc. and so on.

Also, don't assume that everyone knows the first and last steps, especially with your guides. These things are relatively simple, so anyone who might come by it and actually not know the info might also not know the steps that you replace with random words that mean nothing to an amateur.

No need to shoot me down =( :'(

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

He's not shooting you down, he is just saying there is a better way to do it and that you should be careful with your guides because there is always the most incompetent person that comes along and they don't have the slightest idea what to do. He just said it in a nicer way.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

^:lol:

So very true.

TheJJMax

The Ultimate Noob
Reaction score

I heartily disagree

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Whoa... Mind boggling!

OldBoy

Reaction score

JohnDoe;234684 said:
Assumptions should be avoided by instructors. If you assume that someone already knows how to do something, you may as well assume that they know how to do all of it and not do any instructing.

For the long version of what I just said:
The problem is that the people who would most likely need this guide (beginners, new guys, people who really don't know what they're doing) are people who don't really know what they're doing.

So when you replace the first step with "Dummy", that leaves these people wondering what that first step is and they can't proceed to step 2.

But, let's assume (since we're doing a lot of that anyway) that they know that you mean "Open FE". Where's CGoldDef? Which one? How will I know which one is which? Sure, you can assume that they will know where to find the CGoldDef in the game.bin, and that they'll know how to tell which one they're editing, and that they'll be able to pull this off without a hitch, but if they could do that, they wouldn't really need the guide, would they? Let's replace step 2 with "Find OBJECT_GOLD_(number), open it, click the plus sign to expand the treeview, click CDefs, then, in the right panel, find CGoldDef and click the blue link under it." You may want to include pictures for the kids as well. Your image shows where to find the CGoldDefs, it doesn't show anything else.

Step 3, choose, choose what? What am I choosing? If you're going to assume anything, assume that all of your readers are blundering idiots and compensate for this by breaking everything down into steps that even these idiots will understand, otherwise you'll get posts from them complaining because they don't know what to do, and of course they're idiots, but you can't blame them if they don't understand your guide because it wasn't written for idiots.

Step 4, change what? The ID, the name? Does changing the entry type of the CDef to C999999999999999goldDef work?

Step 5, nothing to rejoice! I closed FE, went into the game and the edit didn't work! Don't forget to add in "Apply Changes" and "Actions|Save Mods and Run Fable". If you don't want to write for idiots, find a much more difficult thing to document, something for intermediate/advanced modders. That way, when someone posts "PLZ HALP MEH IZ NOT WURKING!" you can legitimately ignore/flame/bash the guy. That's what I do.

So, I whole-heartily stand by my statement. A guide doesn't help if it isn't written for morons, and it doesn't help if the people who can understand it already know how to do it, making it effectively useless to everyone.
Edit:
Yea, maybe that is a little mean, but let's be honest for a minute here, it is true.
And for the record, now I'm shooting you down.
There are a lot of things I am good at, instructing is one of them. You should take my advice.

:frenchy: